Just for grins, let's go head coach shopping

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
It sounds like a joke but Stoops and Spurrier should reunite here and win one more together. They could get a young staff to recruit for them.
But more realistically I think Babers would be great.
Chip Kelly might be a fantasy. But he would kill it in recruiting and that style has been successful here.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
First requirement is that the candidate have been a head coach before, we do not need another Zook or Duncechump experiment. We are Florida, not a program with training wheels.

Chip Kelly, Les Miles, Bob Stoops.....all not coming here so just mark them off the list.

My Top Five, In No Particular Order:

1. Fuente - grab him now or never, once he gets entrenched at VT, he would be hard to pry away.

2. Fedora - stop #2 on his head coaching career, done well to clean up mess Butch Davis left at UNC, got screwed against Clemson in ACCC game last year.

3. Niumatalolo - a stretch, only if he hires a top notch OC and scraps the triple option, disciplinarian that would have already shown Callaway, and likely the other 8 suspended players, the door permanently.

4. Gundy - he is a man, pay the man and give him the keys (he is #1 on my personal list right now, and we can get him)

5. Whittingham - would be hard to pry from Utah, but a legit HC.

Guys like Morris, Frost, and Babers are still relatively new on the HC scene and need more time.

A wild card name to toss out there is Narduzzi at Pitt, he is only 17-10 or so there as HC so far, but he did beat both the ACC (national) and Big Ten champ last season.

Fuente is too late and would be too expensive for us to start b/c its how we roll. Hate Fedora, but you are entitled to your opinion. watch his games and he sux at game management. And cares ZERO about defense. Single handedly loses games he should win by calling silly plays when things are working. Love the guy at Navy, but those guys are usually married to the triple option. I thought Paul Johnson would tweak his system to a more read offense when he left Navy for GT, but he has not. I was wrong, and you can't win with that at the highest D-1 level anymore. I am not a fan of Gundy, but I understand the talk. No opinion on Whittingham. Not saying your list is bad, I just would have liked to see us take a shot at Harbaugh 3 years ago when he was out there. Or to have called David Shaw. Look it can be done. Look at how the guy at Colorado has really straigtened things out there in 3 years and that place was a complete trainwreck. Finding the guy is the answer. Fooley clearly had ZERO eye for under the radar talent. I doubt Stricklin does either.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fuente would be a great choice. Even gundy would be a significant upgrade .I would like to see how dj does at Maryland this season. He could be someone worth watching the next few seasons . Young , great recruiter just needs a few more years under his belt .

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That said, Louisville to Texas was hardly an example of lightning in a bottle.
This is insane talk.

Strong's resume was "I beat Chump once". In his best year he lost to a CUSA school.

Just fvkking no. What is wrong with you people?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Think of what an LSU rallying cry this pic could be if Kelly were hired and someone photoshopped that stick into a corndog.

img_4916-jpg.6994

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to break the news to you but as long as Saban and all of Alabama's "resources" are around unchecked, no good coach is coming to the SEC because they know the deck is stacked against them.
Look at the difference in quality coaches in the SEC versus the ACC. Do you think all of those coaches believe the ACC is a better conference? Of course not, instead they feel like they at least have a chance to compete. This is why LSU whiffed on Hermann and SCAR settled for Muschump.
We can dream about Kelly , et al or we can get serious and try to find a true up and coming young coach with the energy and the commitment to fight the good fight against the unchecked Bama empire.

Mac is not young nor is he energetic. I actually thought he had a chance to be successful here but I really doubt that now.
Go ahead and tell me I am crazy but I struggle with a head coach that looks like a buffet hound in a business that allegedly requires total commitment to the cause. I am sick of the fake Joe Cool routine with no socks and no clue. Put some athletic shoes on and get your lazy arse in the gym and start getting the energy required to be successful.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
We been going on about Kelly forever. We sound like the Vols with Gruden. Borderline pathetic.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I'm pretty sure Lane Kiffin could do better, but I don't want him. Kinda how I feel about James Franklin. A lot of people wanted him, and he's obviously a very good coach, but I don't like how things went down at Vandy when he left so I don't trust him either. Who are we kidding? We could hire anybody and it wouldn't matter. Meyer sold his soul and our program's future to the devil when he was here and we're still paying our debt. That's how it feels anyway...:fatnanner:

We blew our chance to hire Franklin, the day we didn't write him a blank check when he was in town beating our A$$ with freaking Vandy!!!

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, I'll mention the guy no one has talked about: Josh McDaniel. How is it he has an OL that never let's Brady get his jersey dirty. McDaniel would be my choice. But I have to say Franklin would be cool too but the train left the station on that one....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to break the news to you but as long as Saban and all of Alabama's "resources" are around unchecked, no good coach is coming to the SEC because they know the deck is stacked against them.
Look at the difference in quality coaches in the SEC versus the ACC. Do you think all of those coaches believe the ACC is a better conference? Of course not, instead they feel like they at least have a chance to compete. This is why LSU whiffed on Hermann and SCAR settled for Muschump.
We can dream about Kelly , et al or we can get serious and try to find a true up and coming young coach with the energy and the commitment to fight the good fight against the unchecked Bama empire.

Mac is not young nor is he energetic. I actually thought he had a chance to be successful here but I really doubt that now.
Go ahead and tell me I am crazy but I struggle with a head coach that looks like a buffet hound in a business that allegedly requires total commitment to the cause. I am sick of the fake Joe Cool routine with no socks and no clue. Put some athletic shoes on and get your lazy arse in the gym and start getting the energy required to be successful.

Good post as always. Saban will be 66 by season's end. He's been coaching in one fashion or another for over 40 years. He stands second alltime to Bear Bryant's six titles with five. The guess here is, he stays on another two or three seasons to try and one up the Bear, then exits. I can't see the guy sitting in recruits' living rooms when he's 70.

I don't know what he'd be coaching for once he got to seven. Let's hope he gets there ASAP and moves on. In the meantime, it won't hurt someone who's got 10 years or more left in the tank to get a leg up on the SEC for after Saban retires.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
For the Chip-Kelly-is-never-going-to-come-here crowd, why not? The fool is just sitting on his couch with potato chip crumbs on his chin and the front of his shirt. He could do a hell of a lot worse than UF.

My main concern about Kelly is that he doesn't want ANY college job again. I think he might take an assistant job in the NFL before he came back to college. Still, it's worth a shot.
I seriously believe chip is a west coast guy waiting on another opportunity out there

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I'd take damn near anyone else at this point. Seriously, our offense could not get much worse

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I seriously believe chip is a west coast guy waiting on another opportunity out there

Too much is made of that. The guy's from New Hampshire and he coached in Philly. The money's just as green in Gainesville as it is in Oregon, maybe greener since there is no state income tax

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna go ahead and say what we're all thinking. Its gundy time!

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd take damn near anyone else at this point. Seriously, our offense could not get much worse
I think this time it will be impossible to do worse.
Although there was no way in hell you coulda convinced me we could do worse than Muschump.

And yet....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.