Link for today's practice report over at 247

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like the offense did a little better today. Don't like Lane being non contact for so long as it might make them think Jones is a better option running which would be a big mistake imo.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
From Roper's interview I think the lineup will be KT, Jones, Powell. Maybe Lane can make a splash I hope he does he looked great in the spring game.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Treon Harris seems like he is doing a little better, which is good to read. Second team o-line continues to struggle.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Larry Vettel was on the radio today here in Jax and he seemed to think Treon was moving ahead of Grier. Just his opinion though.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Harris is a better fit for backing Driskel up. If rather have Grier redshirt (which he prefers) and have him take over in 2 years as a RS Soph.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n29105 said:
If rather have Grier redshirt (which he prefers) .
No he doesn't. He said he wouldn't mind it and wouldn't go to another school because Pick 6 got redshirted last year.

I'll say it as often as you do.

Does he look like a kid who wants to shirt? He's playing his azz off trying to win that #2 position.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No. He said it. His quote was:

“Redshirt is the plan right now,” Grier said. “We’re kind of playing by ear, but redshirt would be best for me, so we will see.”

“I’m focused on school and working out first, just getting my body ready, getting prepared mentally, learning the playbook and just getting into the swing of things.”

http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/16622/grier-impressed-with-uf-offense/

I just want the best one for the job. And yes, I think he's competing his azz off.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He said it in response to everyone panicking that 2 more years of Ears was going to scare off our future QBs. We had two dozen threads and there were articles on every Gator site.

Redshirt is the plan is not "redshirt is what I want." He showed up early for a reason.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;29324 said:
He said it in response to everyone panicking that 2 more years of Ears was going to scare off our future QBs. We had two dozen threads and there were articles on every Gator site. Redshirt is the plan is not "redshirt is what I want." He showed up early for a reason.

Well, he also that that "a redshirt is best for me."

But plans are meant to change. And I do agree that he's practicing to play. On one hand, I don't want him to lose a year of eligibility by just sitting. On the other hand Driskel has never made it through a year without some sort of injury. (Except 2012- but he was hurt throughout that year - he just played hurt). So I guess it's highly likely that he'd get valuable game experience.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel hits a wide open Dunbar on a seam route down the deep middle for a 42-yard touchdown.

I like to hear that!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://florida.247sports.com/Board/1...y-11--30293566

" WRs vs. DBs. Robinson drops a slant that hits him in the hands. Pittman called for pushoff on Maye. Burton beats Gorman on an in. Driskel too low for Fulwood on a flag route well covered by Hargreaves. Mornhinweg too long on fly for Thompson. Neal with a near pick on a late throw on curl from Mornhinweg "

"Same thing from the 6-yard line now. Robinson can't hang into fade. Neal swats away a fade to Pittman. Both of those to the left side. Joyer beats Harris inside. Dunbar beats Porter. Poole picks off Mornhinweg on fade to Fulwood. Showers catches a fade. Harris breaks up short curl for Ajagbe. Debose beats Jackson on short slant. Tabor flagged for PI on fade for Andrades. Grier with perfect throw on fade to Worton. He throws the fade great. Burton drops a little hitch after Grier puts it in the perfect spot in tight coverage."

" Grier loves to bootleg right, sacked on that one."

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I said it a couple of weeks ago and I'll say it again...if I'm CWM I am not redshirting ANY of my QB's. This is his last chance year, he needs to have every weapon available to keep his job and turn this thing around. There is no margin for error here. We lost our 2 best QB's last year and I'll guarantee you that it cost us a couple of games even if we had someone close to JD's or Murphy's ability. It also cost us a bowl game and the couple of weeks practice that come with even a crappy bowl game. There are no more chances or excuses and if history teaches us anything it should be that it can repeat itself.
Now if in 2015 one of them stubs his toe walking to class then yes by all means pull the redshirt.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The tough thing when you are playing against yourself is that when the offense does good it's because the defense does bad and vice versa. It sounded like there were a lot of sacks out there today and I'm not sure if that is due to the DL being so great or the OL not being good enough. I'm worried it's the OL based on the last couple of years. I hope they get this figured out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
I said it a couple of weeks ago and I'll say it again...if I'm CWM I am not redshirting ANY of my QB's. This is his last chance year, he needs to have every weapon available to keep his job and turn this thing around. There is no margin for error here. We lost our 2 best QB's last year and I'll guarantee you that it cost us a couple of games even if we had someone close to JD's or Murphy's ability. It also cost us a bowl game and the couple of weeks practice that come with even a crappy bowl game. There are no more chances or excuses and if history teaches us anything it should be that it can repeat itself.
Now if in 2015 one of them stubs his toe walking to class then yes by all means pull the redshirt.
I agree especially with Driskel's injury history.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
How many games can a player play in and still medical redshirt ? They may go that route early and see what happens.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The OL is as healthy as it has been awhile now. We have players and a little bit of depth. Sometimes the DL won but the OL hasn't done that bad. Trip Thurman is not fully dressed today again I guess because of his shoulder. My biggest concern is Humphries at LT.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Concrete Helmet said:
I've always thought that it was 4, but I'm not sure. I guess if nobody got hurt by the 5th game you might consider rolling the dice and putting a shirt on one of the 2 and then crossing your fingers that nothing happens or if it does it is later in the year.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n29429 said:

Redshirts aren't handed out until after the season, so he can plan to have Grier sit, but if something happens and he has to play, it's not like he won't be able to put him in.

Either way, I don't want Grier getting tons of time this year. Let him sit and learn the system. It's been shown tons of times in the past that quarterbacks who aren't thrown into a starting role their true freshman season end up performing much better in the long run than those who do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.