Link for today's practice report over at 247

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also your best eval of Grier vs Harris??

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp said:
GatorJ;n30048 said:
I have no faith in the O line. So this would not surprise me. We're still a year away from solid depth.

Next year could be even worse unless there is some major development from some young guys, IMO. You get Thurman, Moore, Humphries back. Then you need Johnson, Sharpe, Riles, maybe Dillard to be ready to feel anywhere close to good about the depth. Or other guys to enter that mix.
Weak recruiting.

Thomas Goldkamp

Jul 18, 2014
LagoonGator68 said:
How do you see this OL, TG
Serviceable in the starting five with a weakness in pass rushing, particularly on the left side. Do things like roll pocket right, slide protection left to help. If Florida loses a starter or two for the year, this team is absolute toast. Second-team offensive line just cannot cut it in the SEC, period.

Thomas Goldkamp

Jul 18, 2014
LagoonGator68;n30555 said:

Grier can make every throw on the route tree, though his accuracy can vary and he has a tendency to risk more throws. Harris is very good on digs, outs, curls and inside routes. Struggles some on the deep ball and the fade, two areas Grier excels in. Harris is a good athlete who can make things happen with his legs. Both have good command of the offense.

Personally, I'm taking Grier if I have to go into any three-game stretch in the season, starting with the Alabama game, without Jeff Driskel. Just feel he gives you a better chance to run the full offense and has more upside for the future.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp said:
LagoonGator68;n30555 said:

Grier can make every throw on the route tree, though his accuracy can vary and he has a tendency to risk more throws. Harris is very good on digs, outs, curls and inside routes. Struggles some on the deep ball and the fade, two areas Grier excels in. Harris is a good athlete who can make things happen with his legs. Both have good command of the offense.

Personally, I'm taking Grier if I have to go into any three-game stretch in the season, starting with the Alabama game, without Jeff Driskel. Just feel he gives you a better chance to run the full offense and has more upside for the future.
Thanks, TG. Your reports have been great!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp;n30564 said:
If Florida loses a starter or two for the year, this team is absolute toast. Second-team offensive line just cannot cut it in the SEC, period.
Thomas, you're getting dangerously close to criticism here. You're risking your access.

Thomas Goldkamp

Jul 18, 2014
oxrageous;n30576 said:
Thomas, you're getting dangerously close to criticism here. You're risking your access.

I figure if they didn't cut me off for trying to sneak into the open practice for season ticket holders only I'm probably good. :gah:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Thomas I really like your updates on the open practice. BUT, I have to say that these are OPEN practices that could be scouted by anyone..... My point being that I personally believe they have been going pass heavy to work on that more than the run game. I believe Roper will actually be more run heavy WITHOUT the need for straight up studs on the offensive line.....more zone and slide blocking as well as using a wealth of guys like Joyer, Jones, Ajagbe, and such in the B position to help the tackles as well as running to the weak side more often. The whole key to the QB's imo getting the ball off in under 3 seconds here ie to take advantage of their running ability and pick up positive yards when they decide to throw on 1st and 2nd downs. That in turn will keep us out of being stuck in 2nd and 3rd and long, making the play calling more open than in the past. Nobody is going to make me believe that Auburns offensive line suddenly "got good" last year.....or Mizzou's. It's more to do with play calling and using your assets the right way. Something Pease could never figure out. Long story short, if you put people in a place to fail they usually do. Thanks again for your updates.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n30623 said:
Thomas I really like your updates on the open practice. BUT, I have to say that these are OPEN practices that could be scouted by anyone..... My point being that I personally believe they have been going pass heavy to work on that more than the run game. I believe Roper will actually be more run heavy WITHOUT the need for straight up studs on the offensive line.....more zone and slide blocking as well as using a wealth of guys like Joyer, Jones, Ajagbe, and such in the B position to help the tackles as well as running to the weak side more often. The whole key to the QB's imo getting the ball off in under 3 seconds here ie to take advantage of their running ability and pick up positive yards when they decide to throw on 1st and 2nd downs. That in turn will keep us out of being stuck in 2nd and 3rd and long, making the play calling more open than in the past. Nobody is going to make me believe that Auburns offensive line suddenly "got good" last year.....or Mizzou's. It's more to do with play calling and using your assets the right way. Something Pease could never figure out. Long story short, if you put people in a place to fail they usually do. Thanks again for your updates.

Very, very good points. People forget that you can take some of the load off the OL. I've been hearing of Humphries' struggles but he's been going against Fowler every play and we can always add Joyer or Ajagbe to that side to chip. I think we'll actually be better than any year under Muschamp as far as pass protection goes this year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68 said:
How do you see this OL, TG
OL has been our Achilles heal. Let's hope we stay relatively healthy up front this year...for a change.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp;n30549 said:
Next year could be even worse unless there is some major development from some young guys, IMO. You get Thurman, Moore, Humphries back. Then you need Johnson, Sharpe, Riles, maybe Dillard to be ready to feel anywhere close to good about the depth. Or other guys to enter that mix.
I thought Koehler and harkless were pretty good prospects. Also how about sarvary?

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n30671 said:
I thought Koehler and harkless were pretty good prospects. Also how about sarvary?

Do you mean Kelleher ? He had back surgery, I've read in some reports that they're not sure about him playing again. Guess it's wait and see with him. I've read some good about Harkless but he needs strength and time. Dorsey needs to put on good weight.We've also got Mike and Riles, Sarvary has been working at center recently.Basically we've got 12 returning right now with 4 committed , probably 3-4 more . and we have some studs coming in, dependent on how they mature and when they get in some of them could be in the mix.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
t-gator;n30671 said:

Do you mean Kelleher ? He had back surgery, I've read in some reports that they're not sure about him playing again. Guess it's wait and see with him. I've read some good about Harkless but he needs strength and time. Dorsey needs to put on good weight.We've also got Mike and Riles, Sarvary has been working at center recently.Basically we've got 12 returning right now with 4 committed , probably 3-4 more . and we have some studs coming in, dependent on how they mature and when they get in some of them could be in the mix.
What happened to the other offensive lineman we signed with Dillard and Johnson ?

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trevon Young or Octavius Jackson? You mean them? Young transferred to a DII school for basketball, he was pretty much a big project. Jackson had to quit due to a chronic shoulder injury, They did another surgery and the Drs. said no mas. Pity , he was a big kid who was slated to contribute this year. Between him, Valentine a few years ago and Tommy Jordan we've lost some good OL in the last few years.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Trevon Young or Octavius Jackson? You mean them? Young transferred to a DII school for basketball, he was pretty much a big project. Jackson had to quit due to a chronic shoulder injury, They did another surgery and the Drs. said no mas. Pity , he was a big kid who was slated to contribute this year. Between him, Valentine a few years ago and Tommy Jordan we've lost some good OL in the last few years.
Yea I remembered the trevon young kid . I just never read Jackson had to quit that blows

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty much yep, he got a medical hardship so he's still at UF.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Pretty much yep, he got a medical hardship so he's still at UF.
So we may have to grab another juco o lineman for depth purposes

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
t-gator;n30671 said:

Dillard just moved from center to guard. He's had issues at center, I guess.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n30735 said:
I don't know if Tommy Jordan was a "good one". We had some awful O line recruiting the last year of Urban and the 1st 2 years of Muschamp. Projects and non-SEC level athletes on the o-line. Hell, our biggest recruit, Humphries is average. I think Sharpe may be our first elite O-lineman in 5 years. Although I wouldn't write off Rod Johnson. Chaz Green has always teetered on elite but never crossed that line IMO. Maybe this year.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
601Gator;n30655 said:
Very, very good points. People forget that you can take some of the load off the OL. I've been hearing of Humphries' struggles but he's been going against Fowler every play and we can always add Joyer or Ajagbe to that side to chip. I think we'll actually be better than any year under Muschamp as far as pass protection goes this year.

Great assessment and I'll even go further. What about the effect Mike Summers coaching the OL. All we have talked about is depth and keeping them healthy which are all valid points. But since Davis' departure and Summers arrival they are probably getting some of the best coaching while at UF. And as you have said they will need to coach to strengths and weaknesses. That's where I think Roper's offensive scheme and Summers' Coaching abilities will yield benefits. Do I think we'll be better yes. Injuries will be an issue if we have them. To the point of Toast, we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator