Looks like we'll have a few 2022 rule changes for football

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Your idea is dumb. Let’s end it there.
The other thing I originally mentioned too was IF there was a clock stoppage......Tell me I'm wrong that unless an injury is catastrophic most "lightly" injured players signal to their sideline for a replacement and leave the field under their own power or with the assistance of a trainers help?

Bottom line if you need the clock stopped AND need help off the field then you don't need to be back in the game for any short period of time for your own health and the integrity of the game.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The other thing I originally mentioned too was IF there was a clock stoppage......Tell me I'm wrong that unless an injury is catastrophic most "lightly" injured players signal to their sideline for a replacement and leave the field under their own power or with the assistance of a trainers help?

Bottom line if you need the clock stopped AND need help off the field then you don't need to be back in the game for any short period of time for your own health and the integrity of the game.

Ok, you’re wrong. Specifically when it comes to bigger players along the line. Dexter or White hurting their knee is totally different than Elam or Toney in terms of ability to take a few weight bearing steps, which is why you’re more likely to see the bigger players requiring help to the sidelines. And again, we keep dancing around cramps which are not only common, but some of the most intense, misleading pain a person can get. They can’t be punished for that.

I’m not grouchy at all, btw. I just think it’s silly that we’re insisting something can be done about it when it’s abundantly clear that it cannot, at least not in any responsible way. Remember a few years ago when fans and media were outraged at the timeouts called just before the ball was snapped on a FG? They were going to put a stop to it, right? Very similar. And I said then there’s no way to do it because all a coach has to do is say he saw the wrong defense, thought he had 12 men in the field, or feared a fake. Some things are just whatever and move on. I don’t like it any more than any of you. You’re just not going to correct this without some serious unintended consequences.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Ok, you’re wrong. Specifically when it comes to bigger players along the line. Dexter or White hurting their knee is totally different than Elam or Toney in terms of ability to take a few weight bearing steps, which is why you’re more likely to see the bigger players requiring help to the sidelines. And again, we keep dancing around cramps which are not only common, but some of the most intense, misleading pain a person can get. They can’t be punished for that.

I’m not grouchy at all, btw. I just think it’s silly that we’re insisting something can be done about it when it’s abundantly clear that it cannot, at least not in any responsible way. Remember a few years ago when fans and media were outraged at the timeouts called just before the ball was snapped on a FG? They were going to put a stop to it, right? Very similar. And I said then there’s no way to do it because all a coach has to do is say he saw the wrong defense, thought he had 12 men in the field, or feared a fake. Some things are just whatever and move on. I don’t like it any more than any of you. You’re just not going to correct this without some serious unintended consequences.
I think you're giving up too easily....Remember when hurry up offenses "changed" the game a decade ago? They put in new substitution rules and actually IMPROVED the game by doing so.
Take my idea and tweak it here or there and it will be perfect. BTW many knee issues are related to trying to come back in too soon from cramps which is shown to accelerate weakness in supporting muscles that can escalate to a blow out from what I have read....so again if a player is injured they need to be kept out a reasonable amount of time....this would enhance player safety.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think you're giving up too easily....Remember when hurry up offenses "changed" the game a decade ago? They put in new substitution rules and actually IMPROVED the game by doing so.
Take my idea and tweak it here or there and it will be perfect. BTW many knee issues are related to trying to come back in too soon from cramps which is shown to accelerate weakness in supporting muscles that can escalate to a blow out from what I have read....so again if a player is injured they need to be kept out a reasonable amount of time....this would enhance player safety.

Forcing players to sit when they’re not actually hurt(cramps) or have been cleared from the trainers on the sidelines isn’t enhancing anything. It’s a ridiculous concept. And again, if a player feels he has to keep going or risk missing the rest of the last drive or 4th quarter, he will absolutely keep going instead of getting attended to. We’re going in circles. The NCAA themselves says they can’t do it.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Couple of points. While they are subjective and that they may or may not be called, holding is a physical act as is pass interference. It’s debatable as to whether or not it gets called. But no one has ever said, we think he “intended” to interfere or hold. That’s what would be required here. It’s about looking for intent. The closest comparison would be calling a pick/rub play. Even then there’s generally physical evidence that an infraction was committed.

But on that note, fans, players and coaches are usually ok as long as there is balance in how the rules are applied. So if officials are “letting them play” then it’s fine. It’s only when one team gets called while the other isn’t. That isn’t the case here. Both teams can employ the strategy which kills the notion of cheating.

Ultimately it’s moot. The rule clearly states that they can’t do anything in game. It’s impossible. The new suggestion is a review board after the fact which is what I originally responded to from Ox. I don’t have any confidence in that going well. And even if it involves fines, is it worth it to potentially win a conference or national title? Of course. So I don’t even see it as a deterrent. As I’ve said, it will simply force teams to be better actors.

Ftr, I’m still good with Kiffin getting punched at any time.

You took my post way too seriously, but you partially made up for it by agreeing with kiffy being punched.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The best way to deal with the issue is this.
Get injured to the point the clock must stop the player sits for the rest of the quarter if in the 1st or 3rd quarters...
Get injured to the point the clock stops at the end of the 2nd quarter or 4th quarter the player must sit out the next half. In the case of the 4th quarter scenario the player sits out the rest of the game AND first half of the next game.
Better. No automatic timeouts for injuries. Crawl off the field or count against 11 players on the field. If you can't move, have an open fracture, or arterial blood is spurting out, keep quite until the clock stops.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Forcing players to sit when they’re not actually hurt(cramps) or have been cleared from the trainers on the sidelines
Why not let them back in after they suffer a possible concussion, then? I mean nobody knows for sure if someone is contused until imaging is done, right? I've seen players that were 100% chance of having a concussion go back in games.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You get 2 injury timeouts per half in addition to regular timeouts…when those get used, you start burning regular timeouts. If you are so injury prone…get a better S&C program.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Actually the best way to do it would be if a player cannot leave the field under his own power requiring clock stoppage they must at least be taken off the field(locker room or at least the tent)and the training staff has to issue a preliminary injury report to the officials before the player can return. If they issue a cramping report then the player must sit out a "hydration period" of a few minutes(game clock) or so....Any other injury requiring clock stoppage and the player must sit out for his own safety(again assuming he cannot leave the field without stopping the clock) for the next half.

Perfect, huh?

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Actually the best way to do it would be if a player cannot leave the field under his own power requiring clock stoppage they must at least be taken off the field(locker room or at least the tent)and the training staff has to issue a preliminary injury report to the officials before the player can return. If they issue a cramping report then the player must sit out a "hydration period" of a few minutes(game clock) or so....Any other injury requiring clock stoppage and the player must sit out for his own safety(again assuming he cannot leave the field without stopping the clock) for the next half.

Perfect, huh?

If by perfect your mean written in a manner that suggests a semi-downs koala was involved in its planning then yes, definitely perfect.

Also, concussions are usually determined by trainers on the sidelines. I’m not saying they know more than us, but it’s close. So when they feel concussions have occurred, were asked to trust their judgment.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Here. I've got the solution. Ask yourselves "how do they benefit from the injury timeout?"
They get to rest: So instead you make every player on the cheating team run in place during the timeout.
(note: the player is of course presumed guilty of faking until proven otherwise)
They get to sub: Instead they'll have to play with one less player.
They get to strategize: Cut off the link between the box and the field during the timeout. Also on-field coaches have to practice social distancing so no collaborating during the timeout.

Seems reasonable for something that rarely if ever changes the outcome of a game.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve got a solution. How about we act like men and play football? None of this was an issue until a handful of garbage OC’s decided their best way of attack was doing so before the other team could set by going 100 miles per hour.

Spurrier would’ve given a defense an extra minute to set because he was confident he could put scheme them. Meyer would’ve given a defense an extra minute because he knew he’d out recruited and prepared you.

But guys like Frost, Kelly and his fat OC suddenly want to command things.

I can’t think of a single coach that has won a title with an offense centered around tempo. It may be the gayest thing college football has ever experienced. And if kids want to pretend they’ve been shot, run over or have a sudden case of typhoid to stop it, I’m fine with that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve got a solution. How about we act like men and play football? None of this was an issue until a handful of garbage OC’s decided their best way of attack was doing so before the other team could set by going 100 miles per hour.

Spurrier would’ve given a defense an extra minute to set because he was confident he could put scheme them. Meyer would’ve given a defense an extra minute because he knew he’d out recruited and prepared you.

I can’t think of a single coach that has won a title with an offense centered around tempo. It may be the gayest thing college football has ever experienced. And if kids want to pretend they’ve been shot, run over or have a sudden case of typhoid to stop it, I’m fine with that.
The Buffalo Bills were the first to do it full-time in 1990.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

Yeah, we should force everyone to run a slow plodding Kirby Smart or Muschamp offense. Fuch hustling and being exciting, let's use every God damn second of the play clock. Maybe they can even implement a rule to have a 39 second "football is gay" advertisement in between every play. I know you'd enjoy that.

If a coaches only defense to slow down an opposing teams offense is flopping like a ****** soccer player then maybe he should learn to coach better.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, we should force everyone to run a slow plodding Kirby Smart or Muschamp offense. Fuch hustling and being exciting, let's use every God damn second of the play clock. Maybe they can even implement a rule to have a 39 second "football is gay" advertisement in between every play. I know you'd enjoy that.

If a coaches only defense to slow down an opposing teams offense is flopping like a ****** soccer player then maybe he should learn to coach better.

Well you get a laugh from me just for using my own words against me. That’s something I’d do. So well done there.:lol:

But I think this has devolved into a debate of the strategy itself, which I probably had a hand. That’s not really the issue though. I’m fine with the strategy even if it’s not my preference. The question is whether or not anything can be done about it. Whether in the game of football a player can or should be judged as actually injured or just faking. That’s my ultimate point from day one. The whining about “they’re slowing me down” is pointless. They are going to stop the clock of a player appear injured, genuine or not. And there’s no chance in the litigious society we’re currently in that a player is going to be forced to choose to keep playing through what he feels could be an injury(rather than getting attention) or sit out extended periods of time to curtail the faking. It’s not happening.

Boxers tie up, basketball coaches, who get seemingly 100 timeouts, call them to slow momentum. This will continue to be the football equivalent, like it or not.

And lastly there’s a massive difference between Smart/WM and guys like Taggert and Hyuepel. You can have exciting football without constant tempo. I gave two examples we’ve seen right here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator