Luke Del Rio

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
That is fair. I hope to see some improvement and I agree that he did not get a lot of support. I really hope to see some improvement and I think we will see a better offense Saturday. He did throw two nice passes over the middle last week and I would like to see more of that to open up the game some.

I hope the reason for the vanilla play calling was to just get him comfortable in a game situation.

I'd rather him check down than take a sack or throw a pick.
100% agree on this!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather him check down than take a sack or throw a pick.

Yes, but was that always the situation. You can't check down every play... you have to be able to throw the ball down the field and there were times he had time to do that and still checked down... I couldn't tell from the TV if there were open receivers and he just didn't want to throw it or if there was truly nobody open (scary against UMASS)...

There is a such a thing as being too conservative at QB and that can also prevent you from winning.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Yes, but was that always the situation. You can't check down every play... you have to be able to throw the ball down the field and there were times he had time to do that and still checked down... I couldn't tell from the TV if there were open receivers and he just didn't want to throw it or if there was truly nobody open (scary against UMASS)...

There is a such a thing as being too conservative at QB and that can also prevent you from winning.
Oh I know, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, just thinking about all the times Treon/Driskel/Whoever else could have checked down or thrown the ball away instead of losing 16 on a sack.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've read a lot of complaints this week about Del Rio dinking and dunking and checking down too much. Has anyone considered the fact that maybe, just maybe our O-Line kind of demands that's the way we have to play on offense? Look, I'd love to see 15-30 yard bombs, but you need time for those plays to develop...

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I like that he threw no picks, had no fumbles, and not once did he run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage or assume the fetal position.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously? This is what it has come to for Gator fans.
Last I heard, he's entitled to his opinion. I'd rather have him saying that than predicting KY was going to beat us, because apparently 'that' is what it has come to for 'Gator fans'. :rolleyes3:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like that he threw no picks, had no fumbles, and not once did he run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage or assume the fetal position.
Or catch his own pass

Or panic instantly as soon as the ball snapped on every single play

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
My thoughts:

1. I think LDR did fine for his first start ever. He clearly understood the offense and got the ball out quickly. He was poised in the pocket despite constant pressure. I only saw one bad decision all night.

2. I have a major concern. LDR said the deep pass he attempted to Callaway went further than he thought he could ever throw. That tells me he knows he has a weak arm which makes him hesitant to throw it deep.

3. My other concern we have no way of knowing until enough games have been played. Is he Captain Checkdown or was that bad playcalling?

4. This is just my opinion after game one. It can obviously change as the season goes on. My initial impression is Trask or Franks will be starting at quarterback for UF next year.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Or panic instantly as soon as the ball snapped on every single play
I realize I'm apparently in the minority but I was pretty impressed with him in this aspect. He seemed to recognize pressure and, instead of trying to run away from it, was able to move in the pocket to get a throw off. Sure, he had some inaccurate throws but it's been a really long time since we've had someone able to do that. Even Grier would take off at the first sign of pressure.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was his first game. In a hurricane.
Behind one of the worst offensive lines in college football.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
It was his first game. In a hurricane.
Behind one of the worst offensive lines in college football.

But Mac should have him throwing for Heisman stats by now. Geeze. Its been one game what is he waiting for?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Last I heard, he's entitled to his opinion. I'd rather have him saying that than predicting KY was going to beat us, because apparently 'that' is what it has come to for 'Gator fans'. :rolleyes3:
Nearly losing to UMass will do that to people. In fact, sucking for 6 years will do that to people.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure that the same people who think Umass is underrated were also pimping Ga Southern, LaLafayette, Jacksonville, and all the other shytty teams that did or almost beat us.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well Stoops has faith in our offense at least at his press conference. :lol2:

The Gators offense is very good, just like you’d expect. They have some dangerous wide receivers, the running backs run hard, and QB Luke Del Rio looks efficient. They’re well coached and very balanced. It’s a challenge, we played 90 snaps on defense last week. Hopefully that won’t be the case on Saturday. We will get some backup defensive linemen in there this week. We have a freshman in T.J. Carter that we feel could impact the game."

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
When the third quarter ended, Florida clung to a 10-7 lead and did not have a run longer than nine yards or a completion longer than 18 yards.

LDR might be able to manage a game against Mass, but this game was too close too long for my liking. LDR played as flat as the whole team, and I did not see a take charge leader out there. People talk about Alabama quarterbacks like A. J. McCarron and Greg McElroy being game managers, but they were also leaders who fired up their teams when the chips were down.

I'm not ready to write of LDR. He has a chance to increase his stock against Kentucky. But as of now, the jury is still out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I said it before the start of the season; I don't look for Thompson to be anything other than a short yardage back as he lacks explosive ability and has hands of stone.
Remember that neither he nor Putu have been playing their current positions for long. That doesn't mean I like it, or in general like jucos, but our roster was left in the condition it was. Mac didn't do that.

I actually expect him to be a third down back. He was a WR and has good hands. He is also big and strong enough to block as good if not better than any of our backs (we have no true FBs). He can also motion to the slot.

He may be a short yardage back, maybe, but generally you need a guy who doesn't fumble for that.

Or maybe he moves to LB out of need.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Remember that neither he nor Putu have been playing their current positions for long. That doesn't mean I like it, or in general like jucos, but our roster was left in the condition it was. Mac didn't do that.

I actually expect him to be a third down back. He was a WR and has good hands. He is also big and strong enough to block as good if not better than any of our backs (we have no true FBs). He can also motion to the slot.

He may be a short yardage back, maybe, but generally you need a guy who doesn't fumble for that.

Or maybe he moves to LB out of need.
Did you just say mark Thompson has good hands? He got pulled for dropping passes the other night.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wet ball. Hurricane. First game nerves. We shall see.

You saying he had any worse hands than Scarlett did last year? Or Lil Taylor did 3 years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.