Mac will be around for a long time

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just to keep the story book honest here, Kentucky was 61st in total offense in 2016, 89th in 2015.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He is almost assured 2018 barring 6-6 or something like that but if we don't have the offense corrected by then he needs to go at the end of 2018. At least we will have some good recruits here for the next coach if he doesn't do that. We will probably have a repeat of 2014 in 2018 if the offense sucks again with Nuss being fired at the end of the 2017 season.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
He is almost assured 2018 barring 6-6 or something like that but if we don't have the offense corrected by then he needs to go at the end of 2018. At least we will have some good recruits here for the next coach if he doesn't do that. We will probably have a repeat of 2014 in 2018 if the offense sucks again with Nuss being fired at the end of the 2017 season.
This should have happened last year, but Mac bought a year (this year) to pull this maneuver this year (see sumlin and TAM) to save himself another year. After all, Ass. coaches go before the head honcho.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Torian Gray is probably a better coach then Bell, but Bell seems to be a better recruiter. We can definitely say Davis is better recruiting than Summers was. Is he a better coach? I don't know, but we're going to find out. I see Seider as up upgrade, as Skip is probably better off on the defensive side of the ball. It seems like initially Mcelwain wanted to assemble a good staff of teachers at each position group, and probably figured UF would recruit itself. After a couple of classes out of the top ten recruiting he seems to have realized that wasn't the case. Now that we have landed a couple of big fish, and recruiting in general is better off than it was we will see if this staff can bring out the best in these kids.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
While I give Mac full credit in picking up Corral, i believe it's been Corral that's been the reason recruiting has picked up as of late. I'd like to see if it continues year to year before I say things have changed. It is in the up swing though which I like to see

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We can definitely say Davis is better recruiting than Summers was. Is he a better coach? I don't know, but we're going to find out.
Summers was a joke of a coach. He trotted out some of the weakest, lamest, most ill prepared, and most candyassed lines Ive ever seen in my lifetime as a gator. Davis could sit his happy azz ont the bench and sip gatoraide during the games and you wouldnt see our line play any worse than it did under summers. This was an upgrade every way you slice it. Summers never should have been retained in the first place. We would probably have been about the same if we had simply jettisoned him altogether and not bothered to hire anyone to fill the position for the first 2 seasons. Dude was straight flaming garbage.

:bananaburn:

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
70th or better for me on offense. There is no reason this cant be obtained. Pollack said it best yesterday on the championship countdown, Florida speed is finally starting to return to Florida. This is why I think Toney will play a key role in this offense. He has the speed. Just need to work on catching and holding onto the ball...

I will believe below 100 in total offense when I see it from NussChump. He was terrible as the Bama OC, worse as the Michigan OC and even worse as our OC. Mac should have fired him immediately after not scoring an offensive TD against halF asS U for the second year in a row.

We have no QB until Corral enrolls in January, so, I would not expect the offense to improve much, if any this season. If was the opposing DC and Toney came in at QB, I would stack 11 on the line of scrimmage and dare him to throw...he can't throw...

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
While I give Mac full credit in picking up Corral, i believe it's been Corral that's been the reason recruiting has picked up as of late. I'd like to see if it continues year to year before I say things have changed. It is in the up swing though which I like to see
To some extent, yes it becomes easier when you've got something nice to show off to the other recruits, but let's not pretend as if the coaches are sitting back doing nothing in getting these kids, there is still work for them to do. And the fact that they are bringing in kids, and those kids turn around and start recruiting, well, it's just smart business :grin:

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Summers was a joke of a coach. He trotted out some of the weakest, lamest, most ill prepared, and most candyassed lines Ive ever seen in my lifetime as a gator. Davis could sit his happy azz ont the bench and sip gatoraide during the games and you wouldnt see our line play any worse than it did under summers. This was an upgrade every way you slice it. Summers never should have been retained in the first place. We would probably have been about the same if we had simply jettisoned him altogether and not bothered to hire anyone to fill the position for the first 2 seasons. Dude was straight flaming garbage.
:bananaburn:
Completely agree on Summer's. Mac should have fired him first thing when he took over - and, got rid of all of the program cancerous MooseDump Staff. I can only hope that Davis is a better OL Coach, then again he would have to be because Summer's SUCKED. I do not recall North Texas having an OL that made me say to myself we have to fire Summers and hire that guy...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
To some extent, yes it becomes easier when you've got something nice to show off to the other recruits, but let's not pretend as if the coaches are sitting back doing nothing in getting these kids, there is still work for them to do. And the fact that they are bringing in kids, and those kids turn around and start recruiting, well, it's just smart business :grin:
can't be mad at a snowball effect in recruiting...

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Silent verbals kill the enthusiasm and momentum of the upcoming class and Mac was letting himself be pushed around by them....no more of that crap....commit publically or lose your spot in the class....I think one of the new coaches schooled Mac up on how to play the game.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Completely agree on Summer's. Mac should have fired him first thing when he took over - and, got rid of all of the program cancerous MooseDump Staff. I can only hope that Davis is a better OL Coach, then again he would have to be because Summer's SUCKED. I do not recall North Texas having an OL that made me say to myself we have to fire Summers and hire that guy...
even if he ends up being a meh coach, hes still an instant upgrade b/c summers was a :kiffin: coach, and a :kiffin: recruiter as well. Ill go so far as to say he probably made kids look the other way who otherwise would have come here. He was THAT bad. Like worse than Nord bad.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Silent verbals kill the enthusiasm and momentum of the upcoming class and Mac was letting himself be pushed around by them....no more of that crap....commit publically or lose your spot in the class....I think one of the new coaches schooled Mac up on how to play the game.
you think there were actually silent commits?

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I will believe below 100 in total offense when I see it from NussChump. He was terrible as the Bama OC, worse as the Michigan OC and even worse as our OC. Mac should have fired him immediately after not scoring an offensive TD against halF asS U for the second year in a row.

We have no QB until Corral enrolls in January, so, I would not expect the offense to improve much, if any this season. If was the opposing DC and Toney came in at QB, I would stack 11 on the line of scrimmage and dare him to throw...he can't throw...
I am referring to putting Toney in the slot, not at QB. He has speed, you cant teach/coach speed. you either have it or you don't, and he HAS it. Just have to work on the hands. Heard he was dropping a lot of balls at practice.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp was 56th in his last year (looking at points/game). Do you really think after 3 years not having an offense better than Muschamp's is acceptable?

If we scored about 10 points per game more, then that will put us around 30th. To me that's the mark that shows we're improving, and we'll need to score those extra points just to win 8 games since the defense will likely drop off.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How good of an offense do you want? Because I don't want us at a track meet this year, even if we can. We have a young defense with depth issues. Track meets mean more plays, more exhaustion and more injuries. So I don't really care how highly ranked we are, so long as we're efficient and methodical on our drives. I want the defense to have the opportunity to impact the game. If we can average 25+ while chewing the clock, we'll be fine. As the depth forms, then we can go more high powered.

I'm just sick of 3 and outs and TOs. Let's at least put some drives together.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp was 56th in his last year (looking at points/game). Do you really think after 3 years not having an offense better than Muschamp's is acceptable?

If we scored about 10 points per game more, then that will put us around 30th. To me that's the mark that shows we're improving, and we'll need to score those extra points just to win 8 games since the defense will likely drop off.
he was also 113th the year before that. :dunno:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
cereal-guy-angry-whyd-you-piss-in-my-cornflakes.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics