Mac will be around for a long time

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I like Mac. I hope he succeeds. It appears to be getting better, though we'll see this year. But 10, if some things don't greatly improve?? :britney:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
We'll find out this year. He has Zaire and Franks at QB with his guys in on D and O. I like what I'm starting to see with Mac. He identifies the problems and goes about fixing them. Whether those fixes are successful is to be determined. No more excuses about no QB. He has talent at TE, WR, and RB . If the offense doesn't massively improve this season it never will. I like our LBs, DEs and DTs. He just needs to recruit more at DT and LB. I've hated his recruiting in the secondary until the 2017 class. But like I said, he saw a need to upgrade that area and got the guys who can seal the deal in recruiting that need. I remember Chump at that press conference with a stupid look on his face saying he didn't know what to do. :bwahaha:
But they're only 3 stars

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The way recruiting is going? You mean the way it's supposed to be going because we're Florida and not NC State? Ron Zook recruited better and he didn't make it very long.

It's nice the coaches may actually earn their salaries by bringing in proper recruiting classes, now they just have to prove they can actually coach them on the field. Jury is still out.

Yep, Ron Zook is all you needed to say. He recruited significantly better than the current staff and he was booted pretty quickly.

Let's try to not lose 4 games a year....and keep the losses to less than 20 points - for starters.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Yes, the fact that Butterteef finally is recruiting like every other coach who has ever recruited at UF since the 70s is some major accomplishment.

We should give him extra credit.

No. We should give him fair credit for not continuing as we've seen his first two years in recruiting and actually addressing the issue.

Mac should have fired him immediately after not scoring an offensive TD against halF asS U for the second year in a row.

So, you'll give him a pass on the first year when we had an OL that was absolute crap and Treon throwing to D-Rob and a young Callaway. But you cut no slack for another year when we had an OL that wasn't much better than crap and del Rio...errr, AA, throwing to Callaway and maybe Powell.

I'm not going to throw defensive arguments up to support Nuss, I know I'd get shot around here. And, I can't say he is the right guy for the job. But I have a hard time criticising the lack of TDs when we haven't had the horsepower to execute a functional offense in years.

If was the opposing DC and Toney came in at QB, I would stack 11 on the line of scrimmage and dare him to throw...he can't throw...

I wanted to counter this assertion with stats, but they are hard to find for his HS career. This is the best I could find (besides another site indicating a 16% INT rate which ain't good).

The 6’0”, 185 pound, talent had a breakout season in 2015 passing for 3,604 yards with 37 touchdowns. Running a read-option spread attack, Toney was truly electric running the ball covering 896 yards with 16 additional scores.

If we scored about 10 points per game more, then that will put us around 30th. To me that's the mark that shows we're improving, and we'll need to score those extra points just to win 8 games since the defense will likely drop off.

Even if we score 10 more pts/game, some on here won't give that merit, claiming the competition is weaker. Especially in the SECE.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I really, really wish I could be an Ass coach. Just sayin.

Reef girls are the best, I must say. Always look forward to page 2 in all the surf magazines. You could count on a nice girl in that photo..

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So, you'll give him a pass on the first year when we had an OL that was absolute crap and Treon throwing to D-Rob and a young Callaway. But you cut no slack for another year when we had an OL that wasn't much better than crap and del Rio...errr, AA, throwing to Callaway and maybe Powell.

I'm not going to throw defensive arguments up to support Nuss, I know I'd get shot around here. And, I can't say he is the right guy for the job. But I have a hard time criticising the lack of TDs when we haven't had the horsepower to execute a functional offense in years.

That O line argument was BS as far as 2016 goes. I have seen plenty of young O lines play good when stacked with mostly sophomores and even a true freshman thrown in there. Heck Bama had a true freshman this past season that shut down all the top NFL level D linemen he faced for the most part.

It kind of scares me actually if this line will be top notch as a unit in 2017 though I do hold out hope they will be. I don't know what to say on that TD part except it was an embarrassment that UF can still have an offense that bad.

Horsepower? Heck all these so called experts claim we are one of the best teams this year for WR's etc. Same as the O line other teams have had way better than 100th or worse ranked offenses with mostly younger players on it. The biggest joke was probably our rushing stats against the early cupcake teams - it was pitiful considering the talent level difference.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
mac could go 0-14 and would be retained for 2018. newsflash dudes, strychnine likes mac. He will only fire him under duress.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
mac could go 0-14 and would be retained for 2018. newsflash dudes, strychnine likes mac. He will only fire him under duress.
Going 0-14 would be under duress, hell if he went 0-7 they would fire him mid way through the season along with stricklin, Boosters run the athletic program, not the AD. They gave Foley a severance package due to all the NC in other sports. And lets be real here, Football boosters fit the bill for all new facilities for all these sports, except maybe basketball, but then we had to get outside sponsorship for the 0'dome.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Yaaay! Another thread about how long Mac will coach the Gators. Well lesssee.... I predict more than 3 but less than 25. I will fine tune my prediction as the years roll by.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Does setting fire to his yard with torches count as duress?
He wouldn't have a yard to set fire to, you know that boosters pay for these coaches houses as part of their contract. They would pull and Duke and Duke from Trading Spaces and lock him out of his own home...

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, Ron Zook is all you needed to say. He recruited significantly better than the current staff and he was booted pretty quickly.

Let's try to not lose 4 games a year....and keep the losses to less than 20 points - for starters.
Yes and no. He could pull in some big names, but he also lacked roster management and scouting.

I think what got Zook in trouble was losing to teams we shouldn't have. Mac may not punch above his weight class well, but we win what we're supposed to purty well. That and Zook threatened a frat.

Zook' classes:
2002 20th
2003 2nd
2004 7th

If you point to a kid and tell Mac and Zook to get him, Zook will win. Mac may be better at evaluating if we really want him or need him.

Zook also was riding the SOS wave. Not sure how well he does following Muschamp.

Regardless, recruiting should have been better, but now it is.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Just to keep the story book honest here, Kentucky was 61st in total offense in 2016, 89th in 2015.

Didn't realize Kentucky was that much higher than us last year on offense, heck we'd murdered someone last year for that ranking. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator