McElwain and White get raises

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"They've added an extra $250,000 obligation per year left on his contract." From 2.25 mil to 2.5 mil.
PLUS they added a year. 2.5 mil

However I'm wrong about the year of the extension. It extends through 2022 not 2023 (That's White).
So it's an extra 250k for 2019, 20, 21 That equals $750k. Plus the extra year (2022) 2.5 mil.

So the total is $3.25 Mil.

I realized after I first posted that we were considering different scenarios. I was looking at it strictly from the total contract perspective. You were hypothecating his dismissal after two seasons.

Either way, the buyout is not out of our range.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Peterson has made the playoff semifinals already, at Washington, where the supposed rebuild was to take 5+ years, and he got there in year three I believe. According to all the Duncechump nut swingers around here, the program was left in great shape with great talent, unlike UW.

Foley chose the wrong coach from past the western continental divide.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Where do you come up with that figure? The news account I read stated the buyout was increased by 250k.
The buy out was $2.25 per year of said contract.

They added another $250K per year so it is now $2.5 MILL PER YEAR.

Do the math and get back to me. It is unnecessary especially after Chump.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read the rest of the thread.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Peterson has made the playoff semifinals already, at Washington, where the supposed rebuild was to take 5+ years, and he got there in year three I believe. According to all the Duncechump nut swingers around here, the program was left in great shape with great talent, unlike UW.

Foley chose the wrong coach from past the western continental divide.
That's a good point about Peterson because it shows what a quality coach can do with average talent.....Sad but I used to laugh when people would mention getting a coach like him as if it would be a step down or something....:headslap:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I think Peterson did a great job with Washington this last season. I would have been all for hiring him at Florida.

Having said that, let's look at his tenure at Washington.

8-6 Overall
4-5 Pac 12
0-5 vs Ranked Teams
Lost the Cactus Bowl to Oklahoma State
Recruiting Class Ranked #37 - Four 4*, Seventeen 3*, Two 2*, One Unranked

7-6 Overall
4-5 Pac 12
2-3 vs Ranked Teams
Won the Cotton Bowl over Southern Miss, but gave up 31 points
Recruiting Class Ranked #27 - Five 4*, Eighteen 3*, Two 2*

Overall 15-12, Pac 12 9-10, Average Recruiting Ranking 32, Total Signees Nine 4*, Thirty Five 3*, Four 2*, One Unranked

Talk about 3* U.

Be honest, the negators that are trashing Mac after his second season would have been trashing Peterson as well. Mac's overall record, conference record and recruiting rankings have all been better than Peterson's. Anyone with a shred of honesty knows that the handful of people trashing Mac every day would have been trashing Peterson as well. The Washington fans were calling for his head.

2016 Washington Schedule

2-10 Rutgers
9-4 Idaho
3 -8 Portland State
3-9 Arizona
10-3 Stanford
4-8 Oregon
4-8 Oregon State
9-4 Utah
5-7 California
10-3 USC
5-7 Arizona State
8-5 Washington State
10-4 Colorado
14-1 Alabama

There are several teams in the SEC that would have a good shot at going 12-2 against that schedule. I think Florida would definitely have a good shot at 12-2 against that lineup. There are only 7 teams with a winning record on that schedule. Peterson went 3-2 against teams that finished the season ranked.

The conference championship game is certainly a lot easier when you get to play Colorado instead of Alabama.

When Washington did play Alabama they scored a single TD early in the 1st period and were shut out the rest of the way. If Washington were in the SEC they would not have made the playoffs or won their conference. What would the negators say about a coach that was 5-10 against ranked teams and an average recruiting ranking of 29 (includes 2017)? We all know the answer to that.

By the way, Washington's 2017 recruiting class?

#22 Nine 4*, Nine 3*

I still think he is a quality coach doing a great job. However, negators talking about what a great job Peterson is doing is hilarious.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Comparing recruiting at Washington and Florida is silly. Also, consider the talent level each inherited. The situations aren't remotely similar.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't even think a 3-9 season this year (sadly a realistic possibility) would get him fired.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
He ain't going anywhere, ya'll. Never was before this, so nothing's really changed. I, too, don't see the bonus or slight extension as earth shattering.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It will now cost us $10 mill to fire him after 4 years.

Indefensible. Fiscal irresponsibility.

It'll buy him a lot of Montana acreage. That's purdy kewl.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
I don't know that he has it either. I also don't know if changing horses right now wouldn't potentially set us back another four years. We can't constantly shuffle the deck. Each one sets you back two to four years minimum. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.
If you are heading in the wrong direction the sooner you turn around the better, hoping that he figures it out is fools gold.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You haven't shared your opinion on the matter. You probably busted a nut.
I honestly haven't even looked at the details. Mike White deserved it 100%, and Mac got what, one year? It's inconsequential to me. I'll be there every Saturday regardless if it's Mac or anyone else on the sideline. Watching you guys cry crocodile tears is fun, though.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly haven't even looked at the details. Mike White deserved it 100%, and Mac got what, one year? It's inconsequential to me. I'll be there every Saturday regardless if it's Mac or anyone else on the sideline. Watching you guys cry crocodile tears is fun, though.
No one's questioning your loyalty to the program, but do you think Mac is doing a good job? You think we're heading in the right direction?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Just what is "the right direction"?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No one's questioning your loyalty to the program, but do you think Mac is doing a good job? You think we're heading in the right direction?
He's the biggest Muschamp fan I had ever seen. As soon as they sign that contract to be Gator coach, they can do no wrong in his eyes. Don't expect anything but positives.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Getting back to Atlanta twice in a row is good enough for me considering it had been 6 years between appearances. I don't care if the East is down or not. It would be a hell of a lot worse if we couldn't win a weak East. After that, it's pointless to make any argument without providing crates of Kleenex for you guys so I'm just going to wait until the season starts to say much else.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Getting back to Atlanta twice in a row is good enough for me considering it had been 6 years between appearances. I don't care if the East is down or not. It would be a hell of a lot worse if we couldn't win a weak East. After that, it's pointless to make any argument without providing crates of Kleenex for you guys so I'm just going to wait until the season starts to say much else.
So that means you think he's doing a good job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.