McElwain calmly rebuilding the program from the ground up

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n174295 said:
I don't understand this line of thinking. Unless you're personally paying for it, why do you give a ****? Especially if it could help us with recruiting.

Seriously? Do you have season tickets?

And I'll ask again, when does it stop? When is opulent enough opulent enough?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n174301 said:

That's the billion dollar question. :dunno:

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Long before indoor practice facilities were common, our coaches were commenting on the disadvantage we faced during rainy season, which coincided with the start of fall practice. Lightning has always been a factor and I remember practices being canceled because of it. There is a practical purpose for this.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
PastyStoole;n174328 said:
Long before indoor practice facilities were common, our coaches were commenting on the disadvantage we faced during rainy season, which coincided with the start of fall practice. Lightning has always been a factor and I remember practices being canceled because of it. There is a practical purpose for this.

Alot of practices have been canceled year after year. We need the facility.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n174301 said:

No I'm not,I guess I didn't think about that.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n174338 said:
No I'm not,I guess I didn't think about that.

Like I said before, I understand the need for an indoor practice facility and I think it's money well spent. But if we're going to try and keep up with the Oregon's of the world who's facilities are built from the private donations of a billionaire I think it's just too costly and a losing proposition. I'm sure I'm in the minority though.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n174346 said:
Like I said before, I understand the need for an indoor practice facility and I think it's money well spent. But if we're going to try and keep up with the Oregon's of the world who's facilities are built from the private donations of a billionaire I think it's just too costly and a losing proposition. I'm sure I'm in the minority though.

I don't see Foley going that deep in an arms race. I'm not bashing him when I say that. And once the ipf is up and a couple of other projects are done we should be caught up. I think the odome renovations was also a huge need too.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
-- On last fall camp's Grier-Harris competition for the backup job: I don't think it was very even honestly. I think Will is two steps ahead, but they just didn't feel the need to waste a year for Will when we had Jeff. Treon could run around a little more, which I think is what they wanted to take some pressure off of other people, take some carries off of running backs and stuff. The coaches, I think they played it the best they could honestly. Get Will a year to sit and learn and gain some weight, because Treon came in and he's not going to get any bigger or any taller, so just let him go out there and run around like he did all year.

Suck it T

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MidwestChomp;n174360 said:
Interesting take on Worton and Powell. Thanks for posting.

The Worton quote threw me off. Never heard of him having those issues. Very interesting. Also pretty crazy to hear a fellow player say he's better than Robinson.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n174328 said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that in the Florida weather an Indoor practice facility wasn't needed. It sounds like people are arguing the other odds and ends.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah very interesting insight. Gives me some hope for next year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n174365 said:
The Worton quote threw me off. Never heard of him having those issues. Very interesting. Also pretty crazy to hear a fellow player say he's better than Robinson.

I heard he had the best hands on the team, but didn't know about the other "issues". They do not go into detail, and nothing has been reported so it is probably he doesn't do the little things you have to do at this level to be competitive. That is usually due to maturity.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n174361 said:
-- On last fall camp's Grier-Harris competition for the backup job: I don't think it was very even honestly. I think Will is two steps ahead, but they just didn't feel the need to waste a year for Will when we had Jeff. Treon could run around a little more, which I think is what they wanted to take some pressure off of other people, take some carries off of running backs and stuff. The coaches, I think they played it the best they could honestly. Get Will a year to sit and learn and gain some weight, because Treon came in and he's not going to get any bigger or any taller, so just let him go out there and run around like he did all year.

Suck it T
Touche

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Yep...our next NC QB!

Quarterback Will Grier: I honestly think he was the best quarterback on our roster the whole year, but he just wasn't mentally ready to play. Everything he does is just so smooth. His feet, his motion, it just comes natural. He doesn't have to work like Treon does to drop back or keep his eyes down because it just comes so natural for Will because he's so far along being so young. Passing-wise, he's just night and day ahead. He actually threw the ball in high school and didn't just be an athlete and run around and make things happen. He had to drop back. I think his dad playing quarterback has helped him too. He just understands the game for a kid coming straight out of high school and skipping his last six months of high school and just learning straight-up football. He understands the game better than any freshman I've been around.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n174374 said:
Yes.

It will never stop. Standards continue to change over time. If you are a builder, just try building a house without granite or marble kitchen counters. Ten years ago, you could get away with that. It it really necessary no. But try selling your house without those counter upgrades.

As much as it takes to recruit good players. Its not like they arent making Florida a shiiton of money.

If we are in the SECE and end up in the playoffs a couple times a decade, Yes. If it is to watch Muschamp ball, No.

It will never be enough. It is what it is. We cant dictate anything anymore. If Florida starts winning and gets top facilities, its not going to be hard to recruit. We will have top facilities paired with a top brand.

Since when has it been "hard to recruit" to Florida? We've had top 10 classes for the last 25 years. You act as if our facilities are crap. They're not. Just because we don't have underwater tread mills that allow you to watch a 60 inch TV or a smoothy bar with a full time employee to dispense them doesn't mean we are headed downhill toward mediocrity.

And of course it has to stop. You're one of those "bottomless barrel of money" guys I guess. And even if we could afford it should we? Unlike most schools, the UAA gives a lot of money back to the university general fund for things like research facilities and general improvements. Much better to spend that money on a thousand dollar Bose sound system for each player's locker I guess.

And how much are you willing to pay for tickets, exactly? $100 a game? $200 a game? $500 a game? I thought you lived in Texas? How often do you spend money on Gator football games?

BTW, your house analogy is bogus. People have to PAY for those upgrades. Again, someone PAYS. That little factoid appears to be lost on some people.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n174365 said:

I know that he, like his brother at UCF, has a ton of talent but apparently also has some of the same gansta' wannabe issues his brother had. I hope he grows up like it appears his brother has. He could be a very good and versatile player for us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So.... some of the deadenders are still claiming our facilities haven't fallen behind (behind basically everyone including Vandy, UCF and some other midmajors).... bc Fooley is a great AD and knows how to run a program... unless Fooley now says we have fallen way behind which means he's wrong.

Is that where were we are now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator