McElwain calmly rebuilding the program from the ground up

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n174300 said:
The money comes from all of us t. There is no "free" money.
The money comes from the ESPN contract.

Our football revenue just became bigger than Clown Town plus three Miamis.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n174380 said:
He doesn't have to work like Treon does to drop back or keep his eyes down .
Drop back and keep his eyes UP.... it's QB 101. Driskel failed it four years in a row.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n174387 said:
Since when has it been "hard to recruit" to Florida?
It's been hard for a while. We're getting third picks at most positions with the exception of DB and DE since probably 2007. Obviously the 2010 class was the exception but we lost the majority of even that class to Creyer Quits Part 2.

There's a huge difference between a 4/5 star kid like Trent Richardson and the third tier 4 star like Mack Brown. There just is, even if the rankings don't reflect it.

We got the first tier guys in 2006 and 2007, then it started going downhill quickly.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n174442 said:
It's been hard for a while. We're getting third picks at most positions with the exception of DB and DE since probably 2007.

There's a huge difference between a 4/5 star kid like Trent Richardson and the third tier 4 star like Mack Brown. There just is, even if the rankings don't reflect it.
Facilities aren't the reason for poor recruiting. See Heavener video...Chump is the reason and the "sick" Cryer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I used my jedi mind tricks to get Fooley to agree with me. I'm tricky like that.

68, the argument is over.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n174453 said:
I used my jedi mind tricks to get Fooley to agree with me. I'm tricky like that.

68, the argument is over.

The "force" is never with you. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
tumblr_lpnnnxytol1qjcq9b.jpg

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Head coach Urban Meyer wanted to "wow" recruits and fans when they came through the front door of the football facility. After an overwhelming response from the Gator Boosters, that’s exactly what the new James W. "Bill" Heavener Football Complex will do.
"This is the first athletic facility project in our history that, from the planning stage, was to be funded 100% privately," said Phil Pharr, Senior Director of Development for Gator Boosters, Inc. "In about a year and a half, we had 16 donors step up and commit the entire $28 million. Not many schools in the country have the fan base that could pull that off. This is just one more (and an incredibly large) example of what sets the University of Florida apart from most of our peers."
After 18 months of construction, the facility finally opened in mid-July, in time to showcase it during the upcoming 2008 season. The new “Gateway of Champions” is a state-of-the-art, environmentally-friendly building that will help the Gators on and off the field.
"What we had wasn't representative of a football program of this stature, not just front-door wise, but office-wise," Athletics Director Jeremy Foley said. "Our offices were abysmal, the meeting space was horrible, the video space was even worse – we just couldn't do our jobs. The weight room was the same way – it was just too small."
The new facility has addressed all these issues – the Tom Johnson Family Head Coach's Office& Conference Room and Lemerand Football Offices have expanded and undergone a complete renovation, the Griffin-Oakley Strength & Conditioning Complex has more than doubled in size, the new Don & Irene Dizney Gator Room will host recruits and their families on game day and the Bryan E. Kornblau Foyer will highlight the proud history and tradition of Florida Football.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n174442 said:
It's been hard for a while. We're getting third picks at most positions with the exception of DB and DE since probably 2007. Obviously the 2010 class was the exception but we lost the majority of even that class to Creyer Quits Part 2.

We got the first tier guys in 2006 and 2007, then it started going downhill quickly.

So is that all related to the fact that we don't have a free juice bar? We got plenty of 5 star guys until just the last couple years.

I'm not defending Foley. He's the one who gave Meyer an extra million for screwing us and negotiated giving Muschamp $6.3 million to steal our recruits. Other than an indoor practice facility, where are we sorely lacking in facilities?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n174526 said:
So is that all related to the fact that we don't have a free juice bar?
Nope.

Foley said it in the article, lockerroms, dorms etc. The drop ceiling in the Hbc office tells you all you need to know.

We arent going to have marble floors with a big "A" whirlpool like some trailertrash, but we at least need to seem like we have first tier facilities.

I also look for us to have a massive increase in football operations. All those "Quality Control" folks who watch film. Bama has something like 40 of them. They are more like the NE Patriots than a college team on that front. Its a big advantage to have several former coaches on staff who have spent the year breaking down film from important opponents and know their temdencies and weaknesses better than the opponents own staff does.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n174529 said:
Nope.

Foley said it in the article, lockerroms, dorms etc. The drop ceiling in the Hbc office tells you all you need to know.

We arent going to have marble floors with a big "A" whirlpool like some trailertrash, but we at least need to seem like we have first tier facilities.

I also look for us to have a massive increase in football operations. All those "Quality Control" folks who watch film. Bama has something like 40 of them. They are more like the NE Patriots than a college team on that front. Its a big advantage to have several former coaches on staff who have spent the year breaking down film from important opponents and know their temdencies and weaknesses better than the opponents own staff does.

Updating interiors and adding some staff that will directly lead to winning more games is reasonable, at least to an extent. But with our athletic department already $90 million in debt I would hope that we behave in a fiscally responsible manner.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Law98gator;n174434 said:
So.... some of the deadenders are still claiming our facilities haven't fallen behind (behind basically everyone including Vandy, UCF and some other midmajors).... bc Fooley is a great AD and knows how to run a program... unless Fooley now says we have fallen way behind which means he's wrong.

Is that where were we are now?

I'll ask again, other than an IPF what does UCF have that we don't ?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps we need extra clarity companion thread title : McElwain rebuilding a program that was ground up.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
divits;n174546 said:
Updating interiors and adding some staff that will directly lead to winning more games is reasonable, at least to an extent. But with our athletic department already $90 million in debt I would hope that we behave in a fiscally responsible manner.

Tennessee's Athletic Department is around $200 million in debt. Why? Average attendance dropped by almost twenty thousand when they stopped winning and they bled revenue like stuck hogs. Muschump was doing the same to us. Empty seats are very dangerous, especially to huge SEC programs. If Mac starts posting wins with a good product, we won't have to tread too carefully for too long because the fans will come back, and soon, even with the higher ticket prices, and we will start making up lost ground on our debt. Mac is carrying a huge responsibility, but he seems to be bearing the load pretty lightly right now. We'll see what happens when the team takes the field in the fall.

Dec 10, 2014
Blacklabgator;n174551 said:
I'll ask again, other than an IPF what does UCF have that we don't ?

Don't bother asking. He doesn't back up any of his points with citations/articles/reports/references, etc., etc., etc. He has kind of a "believe it because I wrote it" complex. That may work for a poster with credibility. With law, it's just funny.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n174529 said:
Nope.

Foley said it in the articleQUOTE]

Hmmm. So you're now using the words of the AD you constantly belittle and chastise to prove your point about our facilities?

I also like how you phrased the fourth section of your post. "I look for us to have ...:" Are you on the planning board law? Are you approving these expenditures and setting the vision in place? Are you in admin in the athletic department? Get a grip.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Dooley vs Law: Attorney on Attorney crime. Get yo popcorn ready. :dubster:

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
McElwain has come into a situation where Foley's been called out big-time by the outside world - including the Chimp launching a few broadsides from AU - for UF lagging at facilities. They really haven't done anything since Urbs came in save the FB player lounge. Foley's also been called for being on the cheap by many.

He's getting add'l revenue from ESPN. He knows he has to get this one right. McElwain knows this and is putting this to good use.

The ongoing cost of the support staff he's developing - ala Bama -will be especially significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.