McElwain to use two-quarterback rotation until Gators' starter emerges

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n265823 said:
Does anyone here honestly think Treon Harris is going to win the job?
Regardless of if he wins the job or not. You've got to give him every possible opportunity to. You don't wanna burn that bridge with booker t washington.

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
t-gator;n265825 said:
Regardless of if he wins the job or not. You've got to give him every possible opportunity to. You don't wanna burn that bridge with booker t washington.
True I never saw it in that aspect, but I mean I feel like coach Mac has given them fair chance since this battle has been going on since the spring. I feel dragging it out is worse at this point

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Title of the article says "to use" but the article itself says "could". Newspapers commonly have different people write the headlines and the stories.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
There is no point in naming a starter right now. Do I think Grier is the clear leader? Yes. I base that on the coach's own comments about both QBs. But why not play this game and force them to compete? Why not play both QBs early in the year to force defense to plan for both? Tactically, that makes plenty of sense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We'll know who the starter is on the first offensive series. It's not rocket surgery.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Settle down fellas.

Even after Spring practice, Spurrier had Shane Matthews buried at 5th (!) on the QB depth chart.

Eric Kresser was a far better looking QB in practice than that other guy...Danny Wuerffel.

And Rex Grossman and Brock Berlin were even in practice too (and both were behind Jesse Palmer).

And for some undiscernible reason, Johnny Brantley and Cam Newton looked dead even in practice.

Things change when the bullets fly.

Sure, Grier is the more accurate pocket passer...but Brantley was an accurate pocket passer in practice too.

I want to see them both in real action, even if it is only New Mexico. That's the only way we're really going see if either one of these guys has "it."

You can't replicate the things Treon did to help us win last year in practice wearing a non-contact jersey.

Sure, Treon didn't look like Tebow or Cam or Grossman or Leak or Weurffel and we're hoping that Grier does but he might not look like any of those guys either.

Regardless, we want the guy that gives us the best chance to win out there.

Personally, I just hope at least one of them has "it."

Alex.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n265823 said:
Does anyone here honestly think Treon Harris is going to win the job?

I don't know, but I bet there is a package of plays specifically for Harris's skill set. The kid has athletic talent, and we need talented players who can play to be on the field.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure Grier wins the job. There is something about Grier that is preventing him from getting the job right now even though I think the coaches would prefer that he win it because he is more of a prototype pocket passer. He just isn't getting the most out of all the guys around him and Treon seems to be making people better (that is why he does better with the 2s).

I think at the end of the day it is still Grier's job to lose, but I wonder if he is actually losing it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n265836 said:
There is no point in naming a starter right now. Do I think Grier is the clear leader? Yes. I base that on the coach's own comments about both QBs. But why not play this game and force them to compete? Why not play both QBs early in the year to force defense to plan for both? Tactically, that makes plenty of sense.

For New Mexico? Yeah, make sure they plan for both? We should wipe the floor with them but stranger things have happened. If Mac is using this as some ploy for our opening lamb then we may be in more trouble then we think. Tactically, it makes little sense.

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
ATXGator;n265747 said:
This isn't a surprise at all. McElwain keeps saying he wants to see what happens when the bullets are live. I wouldn't be surprised to see this continue through the ECU game and possibly the UK game if nobody really emerges.

Of course... contrary to what our resident troll "JoeBlows" says... a starter can emerge against New Mexico State. You still have to hit the open receiver and make the right decisions.

I'll remind you that Jeff Driskel looked great against the scrub UF opened with last year and Harris had a QBR in the stratosphere. As for the reason that one will transfer, classes have already started. The decision maker, McElwain, has only said that Grier was slightly ahead coming out of Spring, and even then he qualified that statement by saying it was because Harris missed a substantial part of Spring.
I don't know why a lot of folks seem to be emotionally invested in to seeing Grier named the starter. He hasn't wowed anyone with the only times we have seen him, the two Spring games. He was also the clear backup quarterback last year until Harris snatched the job away from him. I'm getting the feeling that, if McElwain picks Harris, the honeymoon will be over and McElwain's competence will start to be questioned before he even finishes his first season. After all, all the fans and pundits have made their choice of Grier known for a long time now, they have to be smarter than the coach.
We have no idea how the players feel. The P.C. talk of we're behind both of them equally is not true. The same thing was said concerning Driskel and Brissett, and we know that wasn't true in hindsight. It's just human nature to have favorites, and this situation is not any different. McElwain may have a sense of who that is. If it is truly to close to call, it's always best to go with the most experienced person unless you have an eye towards the future. But since we aren't dealing with a freshman vs a senior, that doesn't apply here.
I'm just going to accept at face value what McElwain has said, that it's too close to call right now. Maybe he does have an idea, but he just needs to see them perform in a real game to confirm his hunch. I'll just wait, especially since almost everything we've heard coming out of preseason practice in recent years was never true.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm fine with it, even for the first two games. Make UK prepare for both.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
ATXGator;n265878 said:
I'm not sure Grier wins the job. There is something about Grier that is preventing him from getting the job right now even though I think the coaches would prefer that he win it because he is more of a prototype pocket passer. He just isn't getting the most out of all the guys around him and Treon seems to be making people better (that is why he does better with the 2s).

I think at the end of the day it is still Grier's job to lose, but I wonder if he is actually losing it.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Mac is waiting for classes to start and past the add/drop date so that Treon cannot transfer as we would be hurting if something happened to our starter.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n265760 said:
The more you hear about our receivers struggling from Mac, the less you wonder why we ran the ball 90% of the time the last 4 years.

No, just makes you wonder how sh!tty the previous guy was since he didn't care as long as they blocked well for the RB's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator