McElwain to use two-quarterback rotation until Gators' starter emerges

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n265822 said:
I don't like this idea. Just pick Grier and let's move on. :chomp:

Yes, let's pick a guy that has never played an actual down in a real game but excels in practice. Who's that remind you of????

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n265823 said:
Does anyone here honestly think Treon Harris is going to win the job?

If Harris is the starter, I'm walking on. I think I have a year of eligibility left.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n265913 said:
If Harris is the starter, I'm walking on. I think I have a year of eligibility left.

I hear you fling that ball almost as well as you fling poo.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If I hear the nonsense about Harris beating out Grier last year, I might puke in my corn flakes. No way they were even considering playing Will last year. But then again, I have plenty of ocean front property in Arizona I am selling....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The real take away form that article is that Mac is a believer in evaluating a player's performance in game "the actual game, when it matters". Instead of rewarding practice warriors. I've been waiting for that attitude to come back since the SOS era.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No problem here. As someone else mentioned we haven't seen Grier under live fire.....
One other thing to consider is that Treon may be a "kickstarter" so to speak. Let's face it, with our lack of playmakers at the receiver positions, a QB who can use his legs can keep McGee or possibly Robinson from getting double teamed because they will start keeping a safety or LB in to spy the QB....Oh, last but not least is we might end up playing 3 or more QB's by seasons end due to injuries....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n265747 said:
This isn't a surprise at all. McElwain keeps saying he wants to see what happens when the bullets are live. I wouldn't be surprised to see this continue through the ECU game and possibly the UK game if nobody really emerges.

Of course... contrary to what our resident troll "JoeBlows" says... a starter can emerge against New Mexico State. You still have to hit the open receiver and make the right decisions.

I think we need a little better defense than about the worst in all of college football to show what is really the deal. They are worse on defense I think than that team we started with last year that we scored at will on. ECU should at least give some resistance and KY a little like you say.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;n265823 said:
Does anyone here honestly think Treon Harris is going to win the job?

I think Treon may be put in the starting position later in the season during SEC play. It would be nice if Grier ends up being what we hope he is but some things make me think its no guarantee.

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
gatormandan;n265936 said:
If I hear the nonsense about Harris beating out Grier last year, I might puke in my corn flakes. No way they were even considering playing Will last year. But then again, I have plenty of ocean front property in Arizona I am selling....
"What started out as a lock has turned into a competition, as Treon Harris has narrowed the gap between himself and Will Grier in Florida’s battle for backup quarterback.
Grier entered offseason workouts as a clear QB2, but in the past week Harris has closed quickly. His decision making has sharpened, his accuracy is better, and he is now believed by some UF beat writers to be sitting in the catbird seat."

Might have to rethink my stance on Will Grier winning backup job. Treon Harris has been absolutely lights out last three days. #Gators Thomas Goldkamp

Way, dude! Make sure no one is around when you upchuck.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That was strange Treon getting all the reps with the ones during the open portion. Is Mac trying to give him a chance to show he may be the one that should be starting? Hard to say since he might have just did Grier's portion off camera but that was an unusual move and Harris supposedly came on big time late in camp last season even though we knew Grier wanted to be redshirted. It will start a lot of talk if nothing else.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n265907 said:
No, just makes you wonder how sh!tty the previous guy was since he didn't care as long as they blocked well for the RB's...

Well considering two losses last year came almost directly as the result of dropped passes (LSU and FSU), and several other games the last few years were directly impacted by our receivers having stone hands, it's not unreasonable to think that part of the reason we ran the ball all the damn time was because our receivers weren't very good. And now with a new, more offensive minded coach lamenting how bad our receivers are at catching the ball, I think it's pretty obvious.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n265982 said:
Well considering two losses last year came almost directly as the result of dropped passes (LSU and FSU), and several other games the last few years were directly impacted by our receivers having stone hands, it's not unreasonable to think that part of the reason we ran the ball all the damn time was because our receivers weren't very good. And now with a new, more offensive minded coach lamenting how bad our receivers are at catching the ball, I think it's pretty obvious.

Why weren't the receivers very good though? They weren't coached and developed. I'm confident with a better staff they will show improvement. Also, the guy that dropped the ball against LSU was Tevin Westbrook... A converted DE

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n265747 said:
This isn't a surprise at all. McElwain keeps saying he wants to see what happens when the bullets are live. I wouldn't be surprised to see this continue through the ECU game and possibly the UK game if nobody really emerges.

Of course... contrary to what our resident troll "JoeBlows" says... a starter can emerge against New Mexico State. You still have to hit the open receiver and make the right decisions.

Grier supposedly has had some rough sessions in the red zone, whereas Treon seems to pick his game up in the red zone and has been the better of the two. Grier throws a better pass and has a stronger arm, but we have yet to see him under pressure. We need somebody that hits the receiver, doesn't make bad decisions, we'll win with an average offense.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n265999 said:
Grier supposedly has had some rough sessions in the red zone, whereas Treon seems to pick his game up in the red zone and has been the better of the two. Grier throws a better pass and has a stronger arm, but we have yet to see him under pressure. We need somebody that hits the receiver, doesn't make bad decisions, we'll win with an average offense.
This is where I think it will eventually be Grier. Just goes with Mac history. Sure he's going to play two. But I would bet he has a preference even now. But he wants and little game time action. Not a bad idea. But, TH has game experience. If he was that much better why would there not be more separation with TH out front that what appears by WG?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n265994 said:
Why weren't the receivers very good though? They weren't coached and developed. I'm confident with a better staff they will show improvement. Also, the guy that dropped the ball against LSU was Tevin Westbrook... A converted DE

I've said it before, I'll say it again. You shouldn't have to coach Division 1 wide receivers how to catch a ball. They were highly recruited and signed as wide receivers to play in the SEC. They can catch, or at least they used to be able to. It's not like anyone was teaching them how not to catch a football. And it's not a difficult skill to learn or master.

They just don't have the mental fortitude to be playmakers. I'd be more than willing to blame that on the last staff, especially considering how much Mac has talked about their lack of confidence. If all they ever got was negative reinforcement when they dropped passes, it's easy to see why their psyche is destroyed now. Regardless, the way they were performing, and the way our quarterbacks have been performing since Tebow left, it's once again not a surprise that we've done nothing but run the ball the last 5 seasons.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n266003 said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again. You shouldn't have to coach Division 1 wide receivers how to catch a ball. They were highly recruited and signed as wide receivers to play in the SEC. They can catch, or at least they used to be able to. It's not like anyone was teaching them how not to catch a football. And it's not a difficult skill to learn or master.

They just don't have the mental fortitude to be playmakers. I'd be more than willing to blame that on the last staff, especially considering how much Mac has talked about their lack of confidence. If all they ever got was negative reinforcement when they dropped passes, it's easy to see why their psyche is destroyed now. Regardless, the way they were performing, and the way our quarterbacks have been performing since Tebow left, it's once again not a surprise that we've done nothing but run the ball the last 5 seasons.
You still defending Muschamp?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I'd say there was a little negative reinforcement.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n265982 said:

Those losses were a direct result of our offensive ineptitude. How many missed blocks, bad reads, over/under thrown balls did it take to put us in a position to need one catch made or else we lose? Hell, I'm sure the receivers were probably surprised as hell when the ball hit them in the hands. :lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n266010 said:
You still defending Muschamp?
I just said the guy was directly responsible for destroying the WR's psyche to the point where Mac has repeatedly said they have no confidence and can't catch the ball.

MJMGator;n266022 said:
Those losses were a direct result of our offensive ineptitude. How many missed blocks, bad reads, over/under thrown balls did it take to put us in a position to need one catch made or else we lose? Hell, I'm sure the receivers were probably surprised as hell when the ball hit them in the hands. :lol:
Of course there were plenty of other factors, but the fact remains that two dropped passes by one guy probably cost us two wins last year. And a host of other drops didn't help, either.

I'm not saying the WR were the only problem, but they sure as sh*t didn't help our cause. Mac's comments just reinforce that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n266022 said:
Agreed. You can't take a WR and put them in the worst offense in the entire country 3 years in a row and expect improvement. Do you think all those guys would have had the dropsies under Spurrier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator