More Trouble In Tallahassee - Dalvin Cook investigated for battery

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My first inclination is to refer to Cook's and the other kid's playing of us while committed then flipping and having a good laugh by saying in my "holier than thou" tone that karma is the proverbial female dog. Unfortunately he seems to be merely a symptom of societal problem that is magnified in sports these days. There were many of us, myself included, that wanted him as a Gator. Now after this and seeing his criminal history, I'm glad he is someone else's to deal with, even though he is clearly a good football player and what the pros want. Truth of the matter is that if you want to win it all these days in football, you have to get this type of player, in abundance (or at least more than the next best team). It comes down to what the HC, the fans, the boosters, and the universities are willing to stand. And we've obviously stood a lot of it ourselves.

The argument can be made that these kids come from tough family and cultural situations and deserve second chances to give them an opportunity to break free from these shackles. IMO what they need is to be held immediately accountable, but the sad truth is that if they don't know right from wrong by the time they are college age, they probably aren't going to learn it unless some life-altering situation befalls them and gets their attention. Getting suspended or even kicked off of the team likely isn't that extreme.

As long as these type kids are coveted as athletes who can help a school win, their legions will continue to swell. But who's going to take the first step among the major college powers and say we refuse to take these kids with at worst, confirmed histories of criminal behavio, and those others who have exhibited extreme problems such as dealing with authority, getting along with teammates, maintaining acceptable academic standards, etc.?

in my 55 years, I have come to the point of being disgusted at just how far athletics has fallen in regard to the "student" athlete. There have always been questionable characters in the game and cover ups of bad behavior, but the numbers nowadays look almost epidemic and the acceptance of such by those who would profit with wins and money do nothing to help turn the tide. The cherry on all this is that, as another poster pointed out, many want to pay these kids beyond their scholarships! I thought recently that people who don't like this dynamic and who support the programs financially could make a difference, but that window seems to be closing. I just hope that something can happen to effect a change on all of this. There's no fun, to me at least, when every NC that is won isn't somehow "tainted" and that looks to be the consistent pattern of late. Maybe the game has passed me and my kind (idealistic and long of tooth) by? Hell no! I still think there's rom for a little more honor and a little less ends justifying the means. Waiting to see it.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cover as always you hit the point. I wish things were different and the way they used to be as well. I'm with you hoping that schools will revert more to being more honorable.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n246581 said:
Cover as always you hit the point. I wish things were different and the way they used to be as well. I'm with you hoping that schools will revert more to being more honorable.
Thanks TN. This is an issue I have come to feel very strongly about. I have, do, and will always support our Gators, but it is disheartening when we have guys like Hernandez (who is a gross example), Rainey, Ray Macdonald, Treon, the kid from Imokalee, and others of late who bring shame to themselves, the team, and the school with such churlish behavior. Sometimes I think I'm spoiled because we have been so blessed to have guys like Danny Weurffel, Lawrence Wright, Erict Rhett, Tim Tebow, and a bunch of others that not only epitomized what student athletes should be and carried forward as men who strove to make a difference outside of football, but who were also damn good if not great players that not only won and put us on the map, but did things the right way. Guys like that may be scarcer and harder to recruit, but certainly they are still out there.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
What is it with these idiots and pitt bulls? If I was a coach, Id check to see if the kid ever had a pet, if so, was it a pitt? If yes, disengage...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
a13711b4521690b9c0736f51e497c68550b326bc90a6371c45744576ca6fed4b.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n246686 said:
What is it with these idiots and pitt bulls? If I was a coach, Id check to see if the kid ever had a pet, if so, was it a pitt? If yes, disengage...
Security for your drug stash, usually.

Jun 2, 2015
I saw the following on SI online. I have no use or trust in anyone who is cruel to animals. This really hit a nerve as I have a 2 year old pit bull (got him@ 8 weeks old). He has never been yelled at, hit or chained and is the sweetest dog I have ever had and is wonderful with young children although I am cautious with any dog around children. Pit bulls were initially known as "nanny" dogs. This reminds me of Michael Vick.....training dogs to fight. Anyone who is cruel to animals would be the same with humans. Absolute scum!!!

"This is Cook's third legal issue since arriving in Tallahassee last summer. He faced a criminal mischief charge last year resulting from a BB gun fight that left strangers’ car windows broken. That happened in June 2014, and Cook was charged in October after reporters from The New York Timeskept asking about the case. It is noted in the probable cause affidavit in the most recent case that Cook's involvement in the BB gun case eliminates him from consideration for any first-time offender programs.

Meanwhile, on July 25, 2014, Cook was cited for violating two aspects of Tallahassee's city ordinance involving animal care. According to a report attached to the citations, Cook had three pit bull puppies—the officer estimated one to be eight months old and two to be two months old—chained together. “The dogs were tethered directly around the neck by a heavy chain,” animal control officer Sheree Mifflin wrote. “The dogs were unable to move and the smaller puppies were choking.” (Read the full report here.) Mifflin wrote that Cook could not provide any identification, so she called a Tallahassee police officer to identify Cook. Cook was fined $275 for chaining the dogs in that manner and $275 for failing to provide shelter. According to Leon County's official records site, the cases for both citations remain open.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
daytonacane said:
I saw the following on SI online. I have no use or trust in anyone who is cruel to animals. This really hit a nerve as I have a 2 year old pit bull (got him@ 8 weeks old). He has never been yelled at, hit or chained and is the sweetest dog I have ever had and is wonderful with young children although I am cautious with any dog around children. Pit bulls were initially known as "nanny" dogs. This reminds me of Michael Vick.....training dogs to fight. Anyone who is cruel to animals would be the same with humans. Absolute scum!!!

"This is Cook's third legal issue since arriving in Tallahassee last summer. He faced a criminal mischief charge last year resulting from a BB gun fight that left strangers’ car windows broken. That happened in June 2014, and Cook was charged in October after reporters from The New York Timeskept asking about the case. It is noted in the probable cause affidavit in the most recent case that Cook's involvement in the BB gun case eliminates him from consideration for any first-time offender programs.

Meanwhile, on July 25, 2014, Cook was cited for violating two aspects of Tallahassee's city ordinance involving animal care. According to a report attached to the citations, Cook had three pit bull puppies—the officer estimated one to be eight months old and two to be two months old—chained together. “The dogs were tethered directly around the neck by a heavy chain,” animal control officer Sheree Mifflin wrote. “The dogs were unable to move and the smaller puppies were choking.” (Read the full report here.) Mifflin wrote that Cook could not provide any identification, so she called a Tallahassee police officer to identify Cook. Cook was fined $275 for chaining the dogs in that manner and $275 for failing to provide shelter. According to Leon County's official records site, the cases for both citations remain open.
Does that d-bag still own the dogs? God I hope not.
That borders on child abuse in our family.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
daytonacane said:

So glad he's their problem

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
daytonacane;n246965 said:

Huh? A "U" fan owns a pit bull.?.?. Who would've thought? :stickpoke:

:whistle:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
daytonacane;n246965 said:

Not sure where Cook came from but I know in many of those rougher neighborhoods dogs can have a crappy existance being tied on very short chains all day or kept in those very small dog cages most of the day. It is common to see that in those neighborhoods.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. An FSU student being meaner than 3 pitt bulls ? Where is he living that he can keep yard-pets?

Jun 2, 2015
Alagator;n246978 said:
Huh? A "U" fan owns a pit bull.?.?. Who would've thought? :stickpoke:

:whistle:

When treated good, pits are wonderful pets. People who have trained them for fighting have given them a bad name. My pit loves people and is actually a horrible guard dog, but just his appearance scares people. I can leave him in the car with the car running to go into a 7-11 and nobody goes near the car.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n246998 said:
Not sure where Cook came from but I know in many of those rougher neighborhoods dogs can have a crappy existance being tied on very short chains all day or kept in those very small dog cages most of the day. It is common to see that in those neighborhoods.

Hard to value the life of animals when you don't value human life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.