Mullen’s scheme

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mullen's offense has only been above average if he has a 240# QB who can both throw and run over LB's. That or play Ohio St in the national championship.

I'm not entirely disagreeing. But it's worth considering that in the 9 years from 2006-2014, he actually had the perfect fit three times. At one point, we had two ideal QBs on the roster at the same time in Tebow and Newton. So I don't think it's far fetched to think we can consistently have someone that fits his style.

The other thing that I think gets overlooked is that really any offensive system is dependent on the right QB. It's easy to think back on DW's days. But when we didn't have the right replacement('97-'99) there were some really ugly moments before Rex emerged. And that pattern continued at Usce for Spurrier.

I'm not equating the two offensive systems. Obviously when we were gunning during the mid-90s, that was as fun an offense as you'll ever see. But I think what Mullen runs, especially if he tweaks it a little based on personnel, can be very good here. And it is becoming more a part of the NFL schemes as well.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Wait, wait, wait! How did you guys score passes to watch closed practices? Not only that but you were allowed to count how many run vs pass plays they ran at practice.

Last edited:

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

Bama shut down an Addazio led offense. Who knows what Mullen would have done?

Mullen went backwards due to his talent going backwards. Meyer can get three times the talent at OSU compared to MSU.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Wait, wait, wait! How did you guys score passes to watch closed practices?
That's what I was wondering. Mullen has also had a grand total of how many practices. With a bunch of stud running backs and Franks vs. Trask vs. EJ? Why would the offense not be run-heavy? Any coach in the country would suck this year at UF.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Bama shut down an Addazio led offense. Who knows what Mullen would have done?

Mullen went backwards due to his talent going backwards. Meyer can get three times the talent at OSU compared to MSU.
An uninspired effort because a whole bunch of players were more worried about getting injured thereby hurting their NFL chances.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not entirely disagreeing. But it's worth considering that in the 9 years from 2006-2014, he actually had the perfect fit three times. At one point, we had two ideal QBs on the roster at the same time in Tebow and Newton. So I don't think it's far fetched to think we can consistently have someone that fits his style.

The other thing that I think gets overlooked is that really any offensive system is dependent on the right QB. It's easy to think back on DW's days. But when we didn't have the right replacement('97-'99) there were some really ugly moments before Rex emerged. And that pattern continued at Usce for Spurrier.

I'm not equating the two offensive systems. Obviously when we were gunning during the mid-90s, that was as fun an offense as you'll ever see. But I think what Mullen runs, especially if he tweaks it a little based on personnel, can be very good here. And it is becoming more a part of the NFL schemes as well.

I agree. Where I'm coming from is that the only times Mullen's had a top 25 offense is with Tebow or Prescott at QB. Every other time his average offense is about 50 which is OK at best but definitely not something that would consistently make fans happy. Sure we'd be thrilled with 50th (ish) ranked offense this season and next, but in time us fans will want to see more points. I don't think it will happen unless we have a LB/TE sized player at QB.

The large majority of championship teams have top 30 offenses, with most being top 20. The exceptions had phenomenal top 5 defenses to help compensate. Saban has shown that he can win championships with different styles of QB's. Mullen has shown that he can only win with one special kind of QB. I think we must have that type of QB if we ever want to win the SEC and go to the playoffs.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Fact is time of possession with a dink and dunk run heavy offense is the best way a championship prototype team wins...that’s why Big12 teams and chip Kelly Oregon fizzle out against a good offense with a higher caliber defense...and you can look at any team and give me a table or list or any other type of schematic but the fact is Brady and Bama doesn’t win or light up the scoreboard with a long ball heavy offense...it’s a run heavy TOP ball control scheme
**** that! youre not gonna gonna over power bama. take a look at clemson. you gotta stretch the field. this whole ball control mentality is dumb. just because the uaa keeps trying to force it down our throats doesnt mean its correct.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
I agree. Where I'm coming from is that the only times Mullen's had a top 25 offense is with Tebow or Prescott at QB. Every other time his average offense is about 50 which is OK at best but definitely not something that would consistently make fans happy. Sure we'd be thrilled with 50th (ish) ranked offense this season and next, but in time us fans will want to see more points. I don't think it will happen unless we have a LB/TE sized player at QB.

The large majority of championship teams have top 30 offenses, with most being top 20. The exceptions had phenomenal top 5 defenses to help compensate. Saban has shown that he can win championships with different styles of QB's. Mullen has shown that he can only win with one special kind of QB. I think we must have that type of QB if we ever want to win the SEC and go to the playoffs.

Absolutely, but the large majority of championship teams have better than Mississippi State talent. God couldn't recruit or coach a championship caliber team at MSU.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
**** that! youre not gonna gonna over power bama. take a look at clemson. you gotta stretch the field. this whole ball control mentality is dumb. just because the uaa keeps trying to force it down our throats doesnt mean its correct.
Clemson and Oregon have under-performed when it matters. The SEC has dominated when it matters.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Really? What were our offensive numbers in 2004 vs 2005?

Did you watch football back then?

He "improved us" from 426 yards a game in 2004 to 373 yards a game in 2005? Solid work.
2004 Florida Gators Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
2005 Florida Gators Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Or most of 2006 when the headlines were "whats wrong w Gators offense?"

Our defense and STs got MUCH better from 2004 to 2005, though.
Don't ever infer cross things about Larry Fedora less Law accuses you of having taken a few too many to the skull.

leogator

May 5, 2018

Man I wish we had gotten Fields, he would have been perfect for this offense.

I don't think this offense requires the QB to run as many times as Tebow did. Our opponents schemed to take away Harvin or Rainey. It is better to yield 5-6 yds to Tebow vs 20-30 yds. Does a running QB give you an advantage in the running game? Sure! But if you can't pass when they stack the box and dare you to pass then you will be in trouble. You have to play these cat and mouse games with the defense.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

I guess we are at a good point to just ask you: what would you have done as AD after firing the shark humper? I'm in the camp of realizing no "top" coaches were coming to Gainesville and we did the best with what we got and we are going to optimistically wait and see what happens.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I guess we are at a good point to just ask you: what would you have done as AD after firing the shark humper? I'm in the camp of realizing no "top" coaches were coming to Gainesville and we did the best with what we got and we are going to optimistically wait and see what happens.

dusting-off.gif

leogator

May 5, 2018
Yeah there are some people that don't understand that we have had 10 miserable years with two losing seasons. There were times we had just one QB and only 6 OL.
We had no proven QB and a suspect OL. The WR and TEs left a lot to be desired as well. Our facilities are way behind and the dorms are atrocious. On top of that we have the whiniest fan base ever. Now why would a "top" coach come here? Some people have an overinflated idea of how attractive this job is.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember the spurrier offense I also remember that he had a great defense to go along with it...most air raid offenses don’t have that except the couple years TCU had a passable defense
The defense just needed 2 stops and the game was over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.