Mullen officially signs six-year, $36.6 million deal at UF

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
That wasn't my point you just failed to bring it up so those numbers would look better. Not to mention way less bowls back then. Another point skewed. I'm not even saying he didnt do ok there but saying stupid crap like Saban or Lombardi couldn't have done better is just trying to rationalize the hire. Not sure if I've asked you but do you think we hire Mullen if Stricklin wasn't AD? Why or why not?
So an sec team with 8-9 wins isn’t going bowling? And a bunch of 3 win teams under Sherril is? Please enlighten me how a one game swing changes anything.

Also, regardless of AD, who out there would be a better fit for Florida? You guys keep throwing shyt against a wall pouting like babies coming up with nothing better. No coach who Florida had eyes on is doing well right now. It’s just simply a fact.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
You guys keep acting like MSU is a bonafide juggernaut. It’s hilarious. He took over for Sylvester freakin Croom. The talent was god awful. No SEC Division has ever been as powerful as the West during 2010-present. Look at talent acquired vs talent played against. Look at point spreads, how many times they were favored. It’s just hilarious that the only way to make anyone here happy was winning a national title at Vandy West. There’s a ceiling and he went above it there.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You guys keep acting like MSU is a bonafide juggernaut. It’s hilarious. He took over for Sylvester freakin Croom. The talent was god awful. No SEC Division has ever been as powerful as the West during 2010-present. Look at talent acquired vs talent played against. Look at point spreads, how many times they were favored. It’s just hilarious that the only way to make anyone here happy was winning a national title at Vandy West. There’s a ceiling and he went above it there.
are you always this emotional about things or is it just gator football? just curious :grin:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
what's up with the job situation?
Think I got one today. Corporate downsizing = sucks

Severance=
2585b87f5d66b021.gif

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Mike Gundy is smart, he knows who he is and where he wants to be.... he just uses other schools for pay increases.
But for the Love of God, can you imagine him in a pair of jorts with that mullet?

The playoff committee would be forced to just hand over the trophy to us before the season starts.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It's horrible and no matter how much one wants to fall in love with CDM there are those nagging facts that humble us- he and his staff were not very good... there. Many will tell you he was simply amazing at Miss St but the record and results do not support that. Even the year they were ranked #1 it was short lived and they finished the season ranked 18th. That's not terrible but it was the highwater mark of his tenure.

That is irrelevant. He had a losing season in 2016. ?

Why is it irrelevant? Seem to me the measure of a coach is did the make the team better. I think saying he was 7-24 is an empty stat. How did they perform in the 31 games prior to his arrival? I have no clue.

Comparing somebody's record at one school with somebody's record at another school seems to me to be the worst metric.

Croom (who Mullinz followed - Not Sherril) was
3-8
3-8
3-9
8-4(?)
4-8

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Nick Saban's records at Michigan State:

6-5-1
6-6
7-5
6-6
9-2

It could be argued that Michigan State was higher-tier in the Big 10 than Mississippi State was in the SEC, but neither are the top programs of their conferences. Seems believable that Saban wouldn't have done much better at Mississippi State.
I agree. He wasn’t facing the SEC every week with that record, either. Saban “got it” while at LSU, then perfected it when he went to Bama. Pretty mediocre coach before then.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No he didn't. He built his resume on cupcakes. Jackie Sherrill did the exact same thing. Sherrill at least beat ranked teams. The lonly reason why you think he did is because he is the HC now
He was the best coach MSU ever had. EVER. Their bowl record before he came was 7-6. That’s 7 bowl wins in 115 years. He went 6-2 in bowls during his tenure there.
I wasn’t a fan of the hire, but to try and say he wasn’t successful there is just bullsh*t.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
He was the best coach MSU ever had. EVER. Their bowl record before he came was 7-6. That’s 7 bowl wins in 115 years. He went 6-2 in bowls during his tenure there.
I wasn’t a fan of the hire, but to try and say he wasn’t successful there is just bullsh*t.
This ^

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. He wasn’t facing the SEC every week with that record, either. Saban “got it” while at LSU, then perfected it when he went to Bama. Pretty mediocre coach before then.
Saban isn't some incredible coach. As a gameday coach, he is so so. He lost twice to Freeze and once to SOS with Cocky talent while Saban was in his prime with it all rolling at Bammer.

What he did was go to the NFL, see what teams were doing re giant staffs and incredible game day prep and brought it to Bammer.

Bammer gave him an unlimited budget, hundreds of staffs (including former coaches) and voila.

This is why Saban assistants fail by the way. There isn't anything special in the sauce that they know. All they know is that they should have 300 staffers too and maybe it would work out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If we give him another four or five years, I'm sure those Independence Bowl trophies will be falling like rain for us too.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Saban isn't some incredible coach. As a gameday coach, he is so so. He lost twice to Freeze and once to SOS with Cocky talent while Saban was in his prime with it all rolling at Bammer.

What he did was go to the NFL, see what teams were doing re giant staffs and incredible game day prep and brought it to Bammer.

Bammer gave him an unlimited budget, hundreds of staffs (including former coaches) and voila.

This is why Saban assistants fail by the way. There isn't anything special in the sauce that they know. All they know is that they should have 300 staffers too and maybe it would work out.
Buddy, you're living in an alternative universe when you make comments like that. Coaching is 95% preparation and 5% sideline adjustments.

I have absolutely no love for Saban, but what he's done at Alabama, even WITH its tradition, is nothing short of phenomenal.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Saban himself will admit he's not a great coach. I think his exact words when he got hired was "I'm not a great coach but nobody will out recruit me". He hates to lose though, like all the greats.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Saban himself will admit he's not a great coach. I think his exact words when he got hired was "I'm not a great coach but nobody will out recruit me". He hates to lose though, like all the greats.
Atleast he isn't negative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator