Nape and NIL

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I’m with Ironhead. If they are going to allow the paying of players then the scholarship program should be dissolved - the players can pay for their education like everyone else. You can’t have it both ways.

Make it simple - if you are going to accept a scholarship you cannot accept any money as well. Those who want to cash in can use that money to pay for school.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
They'll pay for school out of their spare change. Which brings up another problem. The only NCAA limit on team size is 85 scholarships. You could have 85 scholarship players and 10 5*s paying their own way.
Bryant use to "sign" 200 players just to keep them from going elsewhere.

Yeah. This is gonna end well.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m with Ironhead. If they are going to allow the paying of players then the scholarship program should be dissolved - the players can pay for their education like everyone else. You can’t have it both ways.

Make it simple - if you are going to accept a scholarship you cannot accept any money as well. Those who want to cash in can use that money to pay for school.

Again, my suggestion is simple. Kill the NFL waiting rule. If the players in HS feel they’re ready to go to the NFL and be paid professionals, let them. They don’t have to settle for 1 million, they can have 10 as a pro. Keep college for just those who truly love the game, maybe aren’t professionals and want the experience of playing for a particular school. As long as that’s still the case across the board, it will be competitive and entertaining. One of two things will happen. Either it works and the days of the 3 and done college student are over, or the players that jump directly to the NFL will recognize that they do in fact need those developmental years with good coaching in college, which will validate the whole process and assign a specific value that far exceeds the tuition, room and board they’re already receiving. Either way, it’s a win and a considerably better option than the one presently being stared down.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Again, my suggestion is simple. Kill the NFL waiting rule. If the players in HS feel they’re ready to go to the NFL and be paid professionals, let them. They don’t have to settle for 1 million, they can have 10 as a pro. Keep college for just those who truly love the game, maybe aren’t professionals and want the experience of playing for a particular school. As long as that’s still the case across the board, it will be competitive and entertaining. One of two things will happen. Either it works and the days of the 3 and done college student are over, or the players that jump directly to the NFL will recognize that they do in fact need those developmental years with good coaching in college, which will validate the whole process and assign a specific value that far exceeds the tuition, room and board they’re already receiving. Either way, it’s a win and a considerably better option than the one presently being stared down.

The NFL has zero incentive to do that and all the incentive not to. And how many HS players wouldn't get killed the first time they took a hit? That solves nothing.
The genie is out of the bottle. The cornucopia of unintended consequences afforded by NIL is going to be joyous for men that like to see the world burn.
Whoever made the idiotic suggestion that it would bring parity is an... idiot. The haves will have more and the have nots even less. It's gonna be 5 teams beating everybody else to a pulp. And as long as we are one of those 5 I'm fine with it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The NFL has zero incentive to do that and all the incentive not to. And how many HS players wouldn't get killed the first time they took a hit? That solves nothing.
The genie is out of the bottle. The cornucopia of unintended consequences afforded by NIL is going to be joyous for men that like to see the world burn.
Whoever made the idiotic suggestion that it would bring parity is an... idiot. The haves will have more and the have nots even less. It's gonna be 5 teams beating everybody else to a pulp. And as long as we are one of those 5 I'm fine with it.

Of course. Welcome to civilization. No question it will benefit the select few. Just be glad we’re in position to be one of those. I still hate it, but it’s reality.

To your first point, that rule could absolutely be the next to fall with some pressure. There’s zero legitimacy to making that arbitrary guideline. You get a couple of college players that end their career begrudgingly playing a year 3 as your case, and the NFL won’t have a choice. Whether you want to play the woke card or anything else, it goes against everything they’re supposedly for. And the moment a player, his family, or his coaches say “he’s not ready”, agin, it validates the collegiate argument.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Your first sentence above should give you pause to backtrack and see where you went wrong.

Here is a fact though...the schools aren't paying them for their NIL. The school still recruits players based on the football program and the school. Fans and boosters can now legally recruit players with $. So...yeah...they can have it both ways.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
As I have stated back as far as when Charley Pell was here, if a student carries 12 hours with a "C" average I don't care who pays for what.

We put 2 daughters through UF and they worked part time, applied for grants & schollys as well as any funds we could provide. After all it is an institution of higher learning, right?
Go Gators...:jog:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Your first sentence above should give you pause to backtrack and see where you went wrong.

Here is a fact though...the schools aren't paying them for their NIL. The school still recruits players based on the football program and the school. Fans and boosters can now legally recruit players with $. So...yeah...they can have it both ways.
Bottom line
Players will now decide which school to play for, how many games they’re going to play, and how many seasons , based on NIL cash.

Watching a team full of hired mercenaries playing for a local Chevy dealer, instead of the university of Florida, doesn’t interest me in the least.

Pull the scholly’s.
Go ahead and slaughter the Golden Goose.

This is in its infancy.
No way to tell how fast and how far this is going to spread.

Hell, when Nick Saban starts screaming for accountability , there’s a problem.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line
Players will now decide which school to play for, how many games they’re going to play, and how many seasons , based on NIL cash.

Watching a team full of hired mercenaries playing for a local Chevy dealer, instead of the university of Florida, doesn’t interest me in the least.

Pull the scholly’s.

This is in its infancy.

I wonder how long people will find the NIL to be a valuable investment, for many of the players.
Sure there will be some big names that it will always make sense, but there will be players where it is a total waste and they'll see no return, especially when it becomes a year and year out type of thing.

That said, I think there is a good argument that if you sign an NIL (assume over a certain dollar amount), then they should get no scholly. That would have to be an NCAA rule however, because the school will always see value in providing it in addition to the NIL because it will be just another part of the bargaining chip.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would be interested in understanding the details of these NIL contracts.

It seems to me that each contract could and should include provisions for things like:

- Required participation in ALL games each season including bowl games

- Morals clauses for unseemly behavior

- Random drug testing

Just to name a few. You want to be treated like an employee then you must be treated like an employee.

I doubt that any of this is in the contracts but it should be.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
They need caps and can't discuss NIL deals until a kid signs with a school. That way you don't have companies like Barstool offering kids deals before they sign or schools like Ta&m forking out 20million plus to sign kids.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Say 10 million dollar cap for each school plus what they could potentially get from an outside party. If you sign 25 players that's 400k a piece they can be offered or more could be offered to one or more players, but will make schools have to be strategic in signing players and make kids think about ok do I want to go to a school with 7 5stars or potentially get more money with a school that has 1 or 2 or none.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
They need caps and can't discuss NIL deals until a kid signs with a school. That way you don't have companies like Barstool offering kids deals before they sign or schools like Ta&m forking out 20million plus to sign kids.

I serious doubt salary caps are going to happen of even if they can legally be put in place. Plus the NCAA seemed to leave that sort of thing up to the individual states.

The "not discussing NIL deals before kid signs" idea is a big joke. The kids know what they are worth and which schools are making those deals. Every OL at A&M gets $50k. They don't need to be promised $50k before they sign because they already know it's going to happen. Or "hey, Joe's Deli is offering a million for a 5* QB spokesman. Oh, look you happen to be a 5*." An easily broken rule is no rule at all. If you think a kid is going to blindly sign without knowing what kind of deal they can get you are being very naive.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I serious doubt salary caps are going to happen of even if they can legally be put in place. Plus the NCAA seemed to leave that sort of thing up to the individual states.

The "not discussing NIL deals before kid signs" idea is a big joke. The kids know what they are worth and which schools are making those deals. Every OL at A&M gets $50k. They don't need to be promised $50k before they sign because they already know it's going to happen. Or "hey, Joe's Deli is offering a million for a 5* QB spokesman. Oh, look you happen to be a 5*." An easily broken rule is no rule at all. If you think a kid is going to blindly sign without knowing what kind of deal they can get you are being very naive.
So kids will have to make decisions based on what a school has to offer in terms of coaching and academics and how much playing time they could potentially get, I might be naive but I think that used to work. I might be wrong. If you have a different opinion on how it could work better than let's hear it.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
So kids will have to make decisions based on what a school has to offer in terms of coaching and academics and how much playing time they could potentially get, I might be naive but I think that used to work. I might be wrong. If you have a different opinion on how it could work better than let's hear it.
Well, that’s how it worked up until 2022.
Now, they base their choices on how much money they can squeeze out of local boosters and business owners.

School?
Meaningless.

Loyalty to a school?
You’re kidding right?

Now give me that Damn BMW, a house in the burbs for me and my boys, and I might Play Saturday.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Bottom line

Pull the scholly’s.

This is in its infancy.

Well, that’s how it worked up until 2022.
Now, they base their choices on how much money they can squeeze out of local boosters and business owners.

School?
Meaningless.

Loyalty to a school?
You’re kidding right?

Now give me that Damn BMW, a house in the burbs for me and my boys, and I might Play Saturday.

I really have to laugh at all of this. Its such a myopic frenzy of fear for a take. The whole NIL splash recruits make is a lot smaller and less powerful than you seem to make it. The real bottom line (notice I put my bottom line at the bottom) is these kids know they are going to have to pick the best school for them (depth, coaching, exposure...) to make the big $ NIL during their 3-4 years of Saturday football.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I really have to laugh at all of this. Its such a myopic frenzy of fear for a take. The whole NIL splash recruits make is a lot smaller and less powerful than you seem to make it. The real bottom line (notice I put my bottom line at the bottom) is these kids know they are going to have to pick the best school for them (depth, coaching, exposure...) to make the big $ NIL during their 3-4 years of Saturday football.
Good lord.
Condescension and arrogance all in one simple paragraph.

Yeah Travis Hunter picked Jackson State over FSU because of “depth, coaching and exposure”.
Are you really that damned stupid?

This is the very first year of this shiit.
We’ve only just begun and already reports are, Texas A&M paid …PAID..25 million for their class.

This. In only the first year of NIL.

It’s going to get worse, more perverse and eventually, will explode.

18 year old kids, many that are not exactly middle class Americans, are suddenly going to be flush with cash, cars, and women.
What could go wrong?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Good lord.
Condescension and arrogance all in one simple paragraph.

Yeah Travis Hunter picked Jackson State over FSU because of “depth, coaching and exposure”.
Are you really that damned stupid?

This is the very first year of this shiit.
We’ve only just begun and already reports are, Texas A&M paid …PAID..25 million for their class.

This. In only the first year of NIL.

It’s going to get worse, more perverse and eventually, will explode.

18 year old kids, many that are not exactly middle class Americans, are suddenly going to be flush with cash, cars, and women.
What could go wrong?

You are lost in your bubble of stupid. You seem to take an exception and treat it as the norm. You only look at the present with bias and can't see a few moves ahead. Calm down buddy, everything is going to be okay. Not sure why it makes you and some other so angry to see people you have never met in your life to get paid by other people that you never met in your life for things that has no effect on your life.

Florida isn't paying the players. Coach Napier isn't paying the players. Coach Napier and his staff are getting a whole lot of money to acquire talent, coach the talent, create a depth chart and then coach the games. NIL is going to have nothing to do with it except helping to get more talent to Florida. If you think some sub shop owner is going to be able to influence Coach Napier on who to play you are a lot dumber than you think I am.

Maybe you should stop playing checkers and try chess.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
You are lost in your bubble of stupid. You seem to take an exception and treat it as the norm. You only look at the present with bias and can't see a few moves ahead. Calm down buddy, everything is going to be okay. Not sure why it makes you and some other so angry to see people you have never met in your life to get paid by other people that you never met in your life for things that has no effect on your life.

Florida isn't paying the players. Coach Napier isn't paying the players. Coach Napier and his staff are getting a whole lot of money to acquire talent, coach the talent, create a depth chart and then coach the games. NIL is going to have nothing to do with it except helping to get more talent to Florida. If you think some sub shop owner is going to be able to influence Coach Napier on who to play you are a lot dumber than you think I am.

Maybe you should stop playing checkers and try chess.

:lmao:
So you honestly think , in the very first recruiting period for NIL, a team with the number one class that paid 25million for that class, isn’t going to affect college football?

For the record, I never even hinted at a sub shop owner or a Chevy dealer influencing THBC on any playing time or anything having to do with the team, the player and THBC.

You didn’t answer my question about Travis Hunter either.

You don’t think a 5 star player headed to Jackson State has affected your regular Ol’ passionate FSU fan?
Or their program?

Again, this is in its infancy.
This will grow, and steamroll college football within 5 years.
Unless major changes are made.

Paying players a stipend, I agree!

Paying players in multi million dollar deals complete with contracts and cash equal to or greater than a minimum contract in the NFL is preposterous.

This is a can of worms and the first salvo in retaliation should be, revoking all athletic Scholarships .

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.