Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Golden State in six.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Golden State in 5 or 6. I have to see game 1 to get a feel for the matchups and rotations.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm looking for GS to run over old man Bron and badly.

I hear TLC's Scrubs in the background.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Surely you forgot Bill Russell.

I’d have Russell and Wilt before Bird.

But I think that’s a good point. Bird is spectacular. It’s just preference at this point. How you would build your team.

1 - Magic
2 - Jordan
3 - Lebron
4 - Russell
5 - Wilt

If you made the following team to play them I think they would win at about the same rate.

1 - West
2 - Kobe
3 - Bird
4 - Duncan
5 - Kareem

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’d have Russell and Wilt before Bird.

But I think that’s a good point. Bird is spectacular. It’s just preference at this point. How you would build your team.

1 - Magic
2 - Jordan
3 - Lebron
4 - Russell
5 - Wilt

If you made the following team to play them I think they would win at about the same rate.

1 - West
2 - Kobe
3 - Bird
4 - Duncan
5 - Kareem
You've got two centers in the first lineup.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Had Wilt landed in Boston instead of Russell he would probably be considered the GOAT. Wilt proved he was always willing to mold his game around his team. If they needed him to score...he did so. If they needed defense and rebounding ...no problem. He would have fit perfectly into the Boston lineup...and they would have still won all those championships. He would have scored less points but would have had 30,000 rebounds.

A case can be made for Jordan 6 titles over Russells 11....but there would have been no argument if Wilt had those 11 titles.

It’s why I think you have to tread lightly when using titles. It’s a significant factor but so many considerations along with the timing of the eras.

Wilt won two titles...both on teams that were not only the best in the league those years but both considered to be among the best all-time teams. He had one title loss with a superior team when his idiot coach took him out and never put him back in during the 7th game of the finals. Other than that he was on lesser teams that got beat consistently by a dynasty. MJ for all his greatness.....won 6 championships with the best team in the league and failed to even make the finals in the 9 times he did not have the best team.

When I think of GOAT I put at least equal, if not more, emphasis on player skill as I do championships. That’s why I have MJ at the top. In addition to the titles he was tremendously skilled in all facets of the game....on both sides of the ball....and had an otherworldly will to win. But unlike so many others, I really think Wilt, Lebron, Magic and Bird are a lot closer to the top. The difference is very, very small in my eyes.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I guess I don't understand how injuries are figured into assessment's of a teams' performance in the playoffs. Every media analyst I've heard today parrots the Houston narrative that they would have beaten Golden State had Chris Paul not suffered an injury. They point to their 3-2 series lead prior to Paul getting hurt.

They have ignored the impact of Andre Iguodala's injury on the Golden State side. They were ahead 2-1 in the series prior to his going down. They won game 3 by 41 points. They appeared to be thoroughly in control of the series. He is a key player who does a lot of the under-appreciated work but he's not one who grabs headlines. His loss weakened the Warriors.

If you're going to say "what if" on the Houston injury side you have to at least mention the same thing on the Golden State side.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Speaking of injuries, I'd like to have seen BOS this postseason with Kyrie and Heyward not injured.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Speaking of injuries, I'd like to have seen BOS this postseason with Kyrie and Heyward not injured.

Firmly believe they would have beaten Cleveland with Irving as their problems were mainly on the offensive end and he is a great scoring guard. Plus he played the majority of the season. Heyward was injured before the season was even one game old so it's hard to imagine how the team would have looked with him in the lineup. They could be quite good next year with both those guys back in action.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Firmly believe they would have beaten Cleveland with Irving as their problems were mainly on the offensive end and he is a great scoring guard. Plus he played the majority of the season. Heyward was injured before the season was even one game old so it's hard to imagine how the team would have looked with him in the lineup. They could be quite good next year with both those guys back in action.

I think Hayward makes the bigger difference. I’ve never been sold on Kyrie. He has unreal handles and can hit clutch shots but to me...much like Harden....he does not make his teammates better. He is a point guard who dominates the ball and does not get many assists. He should have been dropping 10 dimes a game his whole career.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
As if the NBA wasn't boring enough, they've engineered the same Finals matchup four straight years. Yawn.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
As if the NBA wasn't boring enough, they've engineered the same Finals matchup four straight years. Yawn.
Agree. The playoffs to this point were actually pretty good, but this re-re-rematch is the worst case scenario. Viewership is going to be way down unless LeBron can perform some miracles and get this to a 6th or 7th game. I don't see that happening. GS in 5, lowest viewership numbers in years.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sas just hates the NBA and he bothers to remind us in every NBA thread, leading me to question the real motive. I swear he could find fault in the '69 Celtics facing the '96 Bulls.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sas just hates the NBA and he bothers to remind us in every NBA thread, leading me to question the real motive. I swear he could find fault in the '69 Celtics facing the '96 Bulls.
Of course I wouldn’t, that would be great basketball. You know what isn’t great basketball? Out of 14 conference final games, only 5 of them were decided by single digits. Two of the worst seven game series ever played in any sport.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Of course I wouldn’t, that would be great basketball. You know what isn’t great basketball? Out of 14 conference final games, only 5 of them were decided by single digits. Two of the worst seven game series ever played in any sport.
That can happen. What you hope to see is the games get tighter and the level of play better as the series moves on. Both Boston and Houston laid an egg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.