NBA Finals

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by '78, May 9, 2018.

1. Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
    $1,019
    Ratings:
    +1,627 / -13
    Take just this year. Boston is one of the best teams in the league. They should have been in the finals. They are a vastly superior team than the Cavs and have an infinitely better coach. They would have beat the brakes off the rockets and would have given GS a run for their money before losing.

Lebron beat 3 west teams in the finals. If had gone to the west instead of back to Cleveland he might very well have still gone to the finals every year AND won them. If he were on the Warriors, Rockets or Spurs or maybe even the Clippers they all would have been very formidable.

All you can do is go out there and play the competition. The best team really does usually win a 7 game series. MJ is the Goat and undefeated in 6 title runs. But all nine times he was on a team NOT considered the best his team was beat in a 7 game series prior to the finals. There are only so many ‘69 Mets teams out there. The best team usually wins a 7 game series. Lebron has matched up in 7 of the 9 finals to GS 4 times and the Spurs 3 times. Those are generational legacy teams.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,333
      Ratings:
      +5,717 / -390
      And I guess that's where I have a problem with LeBron. I saw MJ will his team to wins. He made everyone around him better. His practices were famous for the intensity. Here's a quick article that I could find...

http://www.espn.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=isaacson_melissa&id=4463664

Self-explanatory. I have never heard about Bron at practice being like MJ.

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
        $1,019
        Ratings:
        +1,627 / -13
        I think he goes to Philly. Add Lebron to Philly and they will win the east. They would be scary good. They’ll have size, speed, passing mentality like Lebron loves, defense..the whole deal. It would be a fun team to watch.

But where he should go...but won’t...is to San Antonio. If they could keep Leonard and get Lebron...Pop would have him playing the best basketball of his career AND would extend his career by at least 2 years.

I would like to see him go to Houston so I could laugh at the 3 of them trying to be the point guard. LA makes the most sense business wise.

For legacy...come back to Miami and you wont look like you are bouncing all over the league like Shaq and Charles did at the end.

But its Philly!

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
        $1,019
        Ratings:
        +1,627 / -13
        There is no comparison to MJ’s intensity and will to win. It is the actual reason he is the goat.

But to keep it fair....all 6 titles runs a case could be made that not only were they the best team in the league each year...several of them are in the argument for best team EVER. You saw him will THOSE teams to championships. You never saw him will the 9 teams that were not considered the best team in the league to a single championship because they were all eliminated early. That does not diminish him at all. Other than Russell nobody wins them nearly every year for an entire career.

Bill Russell on the other hand actually did will his teams to championships where they were the underdogs...including # 11 as player/coach.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,333
          Ratings:
          +5,717 / -390
          I don't really count his years after he came back the 2nd time but you could see the progression of MJ from his early days then finally getting over the Piston hump. He matured as a player and teammate. Had he not left for baseball and had they stayed together for another year or two...we're talking about 8-9-10 titles....consecutively. His basketball IQ matched the talent on the floor(which is crazy).

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
          $944
          Ratings:
          +2,183 / -165
          Great comments. I think that Magic Johnson would be considered the GOAT is he did not get HIV. He is the only player I know of who has played all 5 positions in the NBA.

• heversle

heversle Baba Booey Tata Toothy
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $49
            Ratings:
            +777 / -11
            epa_usa_basketball_nba_finals_100416043.jpg

He wore this before Game 3...interesting color scheme. He should fire his stylist for putting this together. He'll have much better options in LA however. :grin:

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,333
            Ratings:
            +5,717 / -390
            Lavar and Lebron and Magic and LA...nascar couldn't bring you a better wreck.

That'd be must see TV. They wouldn't win dick. I hope he goes there.

• MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $3,454
            Ratings:
            +14,662 / -137
            I just hope “The Announcement Part II” is as good as the first one.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Rum Guzzling Lesbian Scoundrel
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $13,233
              Ratings:
              +37,301 / -1,108
              And could play them well. He was big and tough too.

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
                $1,019
                Ratings:
                +1,627 / -13
                Who knows what would have happened. Hypotheticals are only that. How many titles would Wilt have had if he was on the Celtics? How many would Magic and Bird have if they didn’t match up against each other? Would Magic have another if he and Scott don’t get injured in the Pistons first title? History begs us to keep it to what actually happened not what might have been.

I dont like being the one that defends Lebron as he wasn’t even my favorite when he was on MY team much less someone else’s....but I hate the hate. Magic lost 4 finals, West 8 or 9. Lebron is the most team oriented guy in the league, good man, good father.

I also don’t like sounding like I’m putting down MJ. I hated the Bulls but loved watching him. Loved his game. But we forget that his rise as the ultimate warrior with an intense “will to win” and all that .....coincided perfectly to the Bull’s rise in talent and becoming one of the best teams in history. Michael once scored 63 points in a playoff game and lost. He could not will that team to win. His first 7 years the real difference could be summed up as Orlando Woolridge v. Scottie Pippen. MJ’s fire, intensity and desire was equal then to what it was during the run. What changed the most was the talent around him.

The truth is imo....Lebron should have one more title than he has. The Heat should have beat the Mavs. The other 3 losses to the Warriors and 2 to the Spurs were to two of the greatest teams the sport has ever produced. Only the Heat loss to the Spurs were they even close to equal talent.

I guess for me just as it is for Magic, Bird, Russell....MJ’s anointing should not diminish Lebron.

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
                $1,019
                Ratings:
                +1,627 / -13
                Not sure what these NBA players are thinking with their fashion choices. Westbrook and Wade are up there as well. I wouldnt step outside wearing these getups.

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
                $1,019
                Ratings:
                +1,627 / -13
                I loved Magic. I lived in SoCal for much of their run. Went to as many games as I could get to. The games against the Celtics were the most intense, exciting games I have ever witnessed.

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
                  $1,019
                  Ratings:
                  +1,627 / -13
                  Total train wreck.

• gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $453
                  Ratings:
                  +1,443 / -5
                  If he goes to LA will he run off Walton or would Walton just be another yes man like lu

• '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $4,995
                    Ratings:
                    +10,888 / -262
                    He played all five positions in the deciding game of the 1980 Finals. Kareem was out with something. However, I don't think it happened again.

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
                    $1,019
                    Ratings:
                    +1,627 / -13
                    42 and 7. Helluva game.

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
                    $1,019
                    Ratings:
                    +1,627 / -13
                    I think he would like Walton and he would be great for Lonzo but Lavar would be a real issue.

I’m hearing San Antonio may very well make a legitimate pitch for him. Interesting.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                    $944
                    Ratings:
                    +2,183 / -165
                    Game 6 and as a rookie. Apparently others have played more than one position. I found this while looking up the facts.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...legends-who-could-play-all-5-positions#slide1

If anybody wants they can read the longer article and comment.

• Captain Sasquatch

Captain Sasquatch Mr. SQ, the Sashole
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $2,418
                    Ratings:
                    +11,735 / -243
                    LeBron has now lost as many Finals as Jordan won. :snicker: