Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n196686 said:
I hope they pick a QB after Spring. We need 1 leader going into summer workouts. 1 QB calling the WR's and running practices. If not we will have both Treon and Will fighting over leadership and a power struggle will ensue. The team will be divided just like it was with Driskel and Brissett. The black WR's will work out with Treon, and CJ Worton will play catch with Grier. And we'll have a cluster f*!? starting the season.

And of course GCMB will be divided along racial lines.

Pick a guy, give him 1st team reps, tell the team he's your guy, he's the leader, and make it clear to everyone. If after a couple of games he doesn't look like the right guy then make a change. But don't drag this out and jeopardize dividing the team.

I think most trust McElwain to do the right thing. I just want the best option in there and think Harris has a small advantage already playing the prior season. I also think McElwain would make a change if needed unlike Muschamp to see if it helps the team or not.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n196686 said:
I hope they pick a QB after Spring. We need 1 leader going into summer workouts. 1 QB calling the WR's and running practices. If not we will have both Treon and Will fighting over leadership and a power struggle will ensue. The team will be divided just like it was with Driskel and Brissett. The black WR's will work out with Treon, and CJ Worton will play catch with Grier. And we'll have a cluster f*!? starting the season.

And of course GCMB will be divided along racial lines.

Pick a guy, give him 1st team reps, tell the team he's your guy, he's the leader, and make it clear to everyone. If after a couple of games he doesn't look like the right guy then make a change. But don't drag this out and jeopardize dividing the team.

:racist:

I think both QB's should be actively involved in running player only summer practice. They both need the time and reps to get the new system down better, the whole team does. Nothing wrong with them heading out to the field and taking turns, helping each other.

Also I don't think the other players aren't going to want to practice with a player due to the color of his skin, it will be more along the lines, 'get me the ball', you throw it over my head or in to the dirt too many times and I WILL PRACTICE WITH THE OTHER QB MORE" they all want to get better, and you never know when an injury will happen so everybody needs the reps.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I would hope the current coaching staff would tailor the offense to having a weak OL. Quick throws, etc. I can see Will Grier being better than Harris on a quick-snap-pass offense. If he has to do a 5-step drop, he may get up looking out his ear hole every play.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n196725 said:
I would hope the current coaching staff would tailor the offense to having a weak OL. Quick throws, etc. I can see Will Grier being better than Harris on a quick-snap-pass offense. If he has to do a 5-step drop, he may get up looking out his ear hole every play.

Hopefully they have some good plan that can work. We definitely don't have the line to do what Bama did when he was there. On 3rd down and more than a few yards they will just bring the house against us while the Bama QB was able to do his taxes back there on play action passes etc. due to that running game and line.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n196611 said:
I just saw Doug Nussmeyer(sp?) on SEC Network and he said those dreaded words we've heard too often over the last 6 years....."Any time you start with a new offense"...........
Nusschamp is the correct spelling. IF he is calling the plays, and he says he is, we will see run, run, run or pass then punt. So it wont really matter who the qb is so long as he can handoff. We just need a good punter. We will be among the lowest number of plays per game also.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n196786 said:
Nusschamp is the correct spelling. IF he is calling the plays, and he says he is, we will see run, run, run or pass then punt. So it wont really matter who the qb is so long as he can handoff. We just need a good punter.

Is that all he did at Michigan? I knew their offense wasn't good but never really watched their games. Hopefully McElwain will incorporate some of the CSU stuff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It'swhat he did at Michigan, Bama, Washington State and Fresno. The most telling stat is that the offense has dropped 20-40 places from the previous OC at every stop. One would think that would be impossible here.

I too hope Nusschamp has nothing to do with the offense. Here's hoping hes just the eyes in the box and Mac is calling the plays.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
oxrageous;n196725 said:

I fully expect a quick release plan, either with handoffs or short passes. I can see them making it so quick it is automatic, no thinking required and too fast to hold it and realize "Oh Crap, Ima get sacked!" Then it comes down to which QB can pivot and get rid of it quicker, and consistently where it was designed to go. I can't say which QB fits that bill, but suspect both may be called upon to use their 'elusiveness' at times. I don't think either is going to be the starter for the whole year, either by injury, or more likely by struggling and calling a change up at the position in hopes of alleviating a bad situation ... but I don't see the two being that different that such a change up will net us anything more than a fresh set of legs and an eager player wanting to prove himself.

CaribGator;n196722 said:
I think both QB's should be actively involved in running player only summer practice. They both need the time and reps to get the new system down better, the whole team does. Nothing wrong with them heading out to the field and taking turns, helping each other.

Also I don't think the other players aren't going to want to practice with a player due to the color of his skin, it will be more along the lines, 'get me the ball', you throw it over my head or in to the dirt too many times and I WILL PRACTICE WITH THE OTHER QB MORE" they all want to get better, and you never know when an injury will happen so everybody needs the reps.

This is really what I'd like to see. Both practice A LOT away from coaches because they want to build the relationships, get a handle on the timing with each receiver, work out whatever kinks they have for the quick release gameplan. Have BOTH be ready to go, and have a relatively quick trigger to swap as required through the first few games. I can appreciate having 'a guy' as the starter, but unless they can separate themselves significantly in spring (not hearing it, from coaches or players) or in the fall, I see them staying even and both remaining ready to start. One injury away from having to be the starter, and with this OL.....

​
Law98gator;n196786 said:
We just need a good punter.

Reference WM's conversion of OL to punter. We should be fine.

​
Law98gator;n196802 said:
The most telling stat is that the offense has dropped 20-40 places from the previous OC at every stop. One would think that would be impossible here.

Ha....I can see Foley having to ask the NCAA & SEC, "Um, can we drop down to Div II?"

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hahahaha I'm laughing my ass off at law right now

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The problem with this "give us time, we're a new offense" thing is that there are now way too many examples of offenses that succeeded at a very high level in year 1. Lane Kiffin killed it at Bama last year, in year 1. Rich Rod transformed Arizona in year 1, Urban Meyer's first Ohio State offense was excellent, it takes Gus Malzahn about 7 minutes to have an offense clicking, and there are numerous other examples. It can be done, our coaches and players just have to go do it.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n197002 said:
The problem with this "give us time, we're a new offense" thing is that there are now way too many examples of offenses who succeeded at a very high level in year 1. Lane Kiffin killed it at Bama last year, in year 1. Rich Rod transformed Arizona in year 1, Urban Meyer's first Ohio State offense was excellent, Gus Malzahn's too, and there are numerous other examples. It can be done, our coaches and players just have to go do it.

Not many are saying it can't be done, just that they are keeping their expectations down for this first year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n197002 said:
The problem with this "give us time, we're a new offense" thing is that there are now way too many examples of offenses that succeeded at a very high level in year 1. Lane Kiffin killed it at Bama last year, in year 1. Rich Rod transformed Arizona in year 1, Urban Meyer's first Ohio State offense was excellent, it takes Gus Malzahn about 7 minutes to have an offense clicking, and there are numerous other examples. It can be done, our coaches and players just have to go do it.
All of the teams you mentioned had a good offense the prior year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They had a great offense the year before and the year after Daz' minion Loeffler was there.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Mac knows the gator nation is salivating for a real offense to include a strong passing game and I have to trust thats what he will do.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Still not sure what exactly we are going to run but can anyone remember a college kicking butt on offense the last decade or so the first season after installing a new pro style offense and having a bad offense the year prior? I can think of a few that have that brought in new spread offenses. Maybe Notre Dame the 05 season?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n197030 said:
Auburn did?
My bad. Auburn did not but the rest of those teams did.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n197070 said:
Still not sure what exactly we are going to run but can anyone remember a college kicking butt on offense the last decade or so the first season after installing a new pro style offense and having a bad offense the year prior? I can think of a few that have that brought in new spread offenses. Maybe Notre Dame the 05 season?

Gator Fever;n197070 said:
This is a good point. It does seem like it takes longer to install a pro style offense. It also takes better personel imo.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n197099 said:
This is a good point. It does seem like it takes longer to install a pro style offense. It also takes better personel imo.

That is what is making me a little nervous hearing this pro style and under center talk in Spring practice. Bama was mostly successful with that because they had a line that could dominate teams. I think being in the spread helps a team when they don't have a dominating line etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator