Next Season....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What makes anybody think our offense is going to be great next year?

I just hope it's adequate. Defense is going to be a nightmare.
When has mac or nuss put an offense on the field that was built to win shoot outs? csu for 2 years in a conference with no d? Neither are known for putting that kind of offense out there.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
When has mac or nuss put an offense on the field that was built to win shoot outs? csu for 2 years in a conference with no d? Neither are known for putting that kind of offense out there.
That's my biggest fear....I don't really like trading scores to win but the way things are looking on defense next year it's gonna be the only solution. I just haven't seen enough to make me believe we can do that. The other alternative is just barely winning against the rest of the Offensive Muschampites of the East, Champ, Jones, Mason, Stoops and Kirby....while getting our asses handed to us by anyone worth a sh!t as usual.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Third year was a down year for both Meyer and Spurrier. Heck, even SOS's third season at USCe was one of his worst there and worse than his first two. Mac will have to **** the bed to not get a 4th year. He has to pick up the recruiting though.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Third year was a down year for both Meyer and Spurrier. Heck, even SOS's third season at USCe was one of his worst there and worse than his first two. Mac will have to **** the bed to not get a 4th year. He has to pick up the recruiting though.
This just makes me cringe thinking that a 8 win season would get him another year. It's pretty dang ovious he's in over his head already, recruiting is the worse it's been in 20 years, our win percentage against top 25 teams is laughable and he continues to get embarrassed by elite teams. If he don't pull some real talent this recruiting cycle and he losses 4 next year he has to go or its going to get way worse the longer he's here

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Year 3 has been the worst year of each of our last 4 coaches, including Spurrier and Meyer(not counting his sleepwalk 2010 year). There's usually a gap in talent, the initial transition class--which are typically pretty weak--are reaching the point of being heavily relied on, attrition and transfers start to really pose a problem, etc.

I'm ok with being a bit down on Mac. But the idea of him struggling in year 3 wouldn't be unique.

I agree with you but the one difference is that SOS and Liar had significant success prior to year three. Not sure we can say that about Mac.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I do believe that Mac can coach. But as others have pointed out, the recruiting is not where it should be. To return to "elite" status, we need a HBC who can coach AND recruit. And yes, 5-star and 4-star recruits should be the norm, not he exception.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
So with the recruiting btching that is going on, and the complaining that at 5-1 so far in this season Mac has to do a hell of a lot better next season, I figured....what are we looking at?

We lose on OFFENSE
Appleby, Fulwood, Thompson

We lose on DEFENSE
Maye, Tabor, Wilson, Cox, Ivie, Davis, McMillan

That's assuming Tabor and Wilson leave early. Maybe Brantley goes early as well from Defense. Do we want to put Cronk down as a transfer now? (I'll hold off).

Yes, Defense takes a hit, but all starters on Offense return, and half of the Defense. Not losing a lot of numbers, so (experienced) depth should be an improvement.

We play:
MICH (in TX)
N. COL
TN
@KY
VAN
LSU
A&M
UGA (in JAX)
@MIZZ
@USCe
UAB
F$U

Other than MICH, I don't see any I'd put in as a L now. I do see 'possible' losses against LSU, A&M, and possibly F$U. The rest I see as very winnable with Mac's 3rd year And that's assuming no incoming freshman are asked to make an impact (depth on defense is needed), and we don't change staff (though I expect us to upgrade).

I see the season as anywhere from 8-4 to 11-1. Even at 8-4, if the product on the field has significantly progressed, I think I'll be ok.

That said, I'm more interested on how we finish this season. One game at a time.
I get it now..........when it is hard to beeetch about this year since its going pretty well we move ahead int to predict Armageddon,............
:what:

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Can you imagine the fallout on this board if by some miracle Mac and Co won the SEC Championship or a National Championship w' the current roster!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I get it now..........when it is hard to beeetch about this year since its going pretty well we move ahead int to predict Armageddon,............
:what:

Missed the point, coach. I'm not bitching. Did you read what I wrote after I listed next year's games? Any of it?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Third year was a down year for both Meyer and Spurrier.
We went to the SECCG in SOS third year and lost it on a pick 6 on the last series.

Hell, since 2008, going to the SECG and getting gang-raped by Bammer is considered a good year.

:pe:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We went to the SECCG in SOS third year and lost it on a pick 6 on the last series.

Hell, since 2008, going to the SECG and getting gang-raped by Bammer is considered a good year.

:pe:
Yes, but it was a down year for SOS

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Missed the point, coach. I'm not *****ing. Did you read what I wrote after I listed next year's games? Any of it?
Yeah, but I knew exactly what the blow back would be so I just could not resist it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I do believe that Mac can coach. But as others have pointed out, the recruiting is not where it should be. To return to "elite" status, we need a HBC who can coach AND recruit. And yes, 5-star and 4-star recruits should be the norm, not he exception.

Or we need a head coach who can coach, and assistant coaches who can recruit.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Or we need a head coach who can coach, and assistant coaches who can recruit.

... and/or we need a program by great winning seasons and showcasing NFL lures ?
That's mainly what has Bama steamrolling - it has superstrong magnetic attraction .
Bama, Saban and crew earned that didn't they ? It has grown over time via a string of successes.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
We lose on OFFENSE
Appleby, Fulwood, C.Thompson- None of these guys even contribute. Sharpe could leave, but Ivey can move to tackle.

We lose on DEFENSE
Maye, Tabor, Wilson, Cox, Ivie, Davis, McMillan for sure. I think Brantley is gone. I can't imagine Anzalone leaving unless he just quits football due to injuries. He has to show the NFL he can play a full season.

Michigan-L
Northern Co- W
UT- I'll say W since at home and they are a dumpster fire right now.
UK- W until they beat us
Vandy- W
LSU- L but who knows with the coaching change
Texas AM- L
UGA- L-Eason will kill our defense
MO- L trap game
USCe- W
UAB-W
FSU-L -If Fisher does not take the LSU job.

6-6 is a real possibility and worst case IMO. Unfortunately 7-5 is about the best I see with a young QB playing. I will have to assume someone beats Del Rio out for the job.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
... and/or we need a program by great winning seasons and showcasing NFL lures ?
That's mainly what has Bama steamrolling - it has superstrong magnetic attraction .
Bama, Saban and crew earned that didn't they ? It has grown over time via a string of successes.
IMO a coach deserves 4 years before he gets canned bc that will let him have all the players he recruited and 3 seasons of experience. If he can't get it done at that point, then the decision to fire should be seriously considered. But every coach when hired should get that much time to do things his way.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
IMO a coach deserves 4 years before he gets canned bc that will let him have all the players he recruited and 3 seasons of experience. If he can't get it done at that point, then the decision to fire should be seriously considered. But every coach when hired should get that much time to do things his way.

Kudos to those who raised you, 4224. That is total-propper thinking. It's emotions that spur on
the brahman-bull-bucks of most us posters trying to throw this HC off our backs. That we ought
to admit.

So, letting 4224 coach us in 2 more years might we see a 35 PPG offense with a jubilant
"shut-down" defense .... now wouldn't that show our GC GatorNation to be foresightfully wise ?
Still, the essence of this GC body would suffocate. So, this CFB program has to show Progress.
In keeping with that, real adjustments, though late-coming, must now begin in baby-steps.
Right now = bench LDR ... Raider-Dad be damned.
Next, privately search and plumb the interest of better coaches/recruiters. Then at season's end,
fire & hire, sequentially better & better staff. It is truly time for "Mayday, mayday" shouts and
in-flight corrections -- no more autopilot ! Too many of us on GC are no longer interested in
learning from Mac's black box explanations ??

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Kudos to those who raised you, 4224. That is total-propper thinking. It's emotions that spur on
the brahman-bull-bucks of most us posters trying to throw this HC off our backs. That we ought
to admit.

So, letting 4224 coach us in 2 more years might we see a 35 PPG offense with a jubilant
"shut-down" defense .... now wouldn't that show our GC GatorNation to be foresightfully wise ?
Still, the essence of this GC body would suffocate. So, this CFB program has to show Progress.
In keeping with that, real adjustments, though late-coming, must now begin in baby-steps.
Right now = bench LDR ... Raider-Dad be damned.
Next, privately search and plumb the interest of better coaches/recruiters. Then at season's end,
fire & hire, sequentially better & better staff. It is truly time for "Mayday, mayday" shouts and
in-flight corrections -- no more autopilot ! Too many of us on GC are no longer interested in
learning from Mac's black box explanations ??
I here ya man, but we would be paying 20 million for the buyout. Things aren't looking good, but 20million is a large pill to swallow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator