Nick Saban retires, replaced with DeBoer; elite players fleeing by the hour

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Lane Kiffin is the perfect moron for the job.

I hear Dan Mullen is available though :heehee:

Kiffin makes sense for a number of reasons. Several of the names mentioned already have jobs close to/comparable to the Bama gig. For example, Sark at Texas. Texas has more money & resources than Bama so there's no reason for Sark to leave and go follow the legend at Bama. Ole Miss doesn't fall in to that category. Because of this, Kiffin can get more money and have more resources at his disposal than he currently does, so it might make sense for him to make the jump.

Dabo makes sense because it's his alma mater. The allure of being the hometown boy returning to save the day may be enough to offset the unenviable position of being the guy who has to follow Little Nicky.

If it is Kiffy, Bama is going to have to contend with the contract parameters I disclosed in my post a few weeks ago (link provided for reference).

My guess is one of these two will end up taking the job.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Kiffin could go to Bama but I don't see that right now. Kiffin has full reign of the Ole Miss program. He can pretty much do what he wants. I could see Kiffin staying in Oxford a couple of more years and then going to Bama after the guy who follows Saban is fired. You don't want to be the guy who follows the legend. You want to be the guy who follows the guy who follows the legend.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Lanning staying at Oregon.
Kind of what I expected. I’d bet money he was the top of their list though. But he should thank Saban for getting him an upgraded contract. He has a great gig already with a good shot at making a 12 team playoff and he doesn’t have to deal with living in Tuscaloosa or the cretin fan base.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I give Rees a lot of credit for coming up with some type of viable offense with very little to work with (especially by Bama standards) especially at QB, to make them serviceable on offense. But to think that would qualify to be a contender for the HC position and it be your first HC job, seems to be like the type of selection that only a guy like Fooley or Strichnine would make.

Beginning to remind me of when Fooley panicked in 2002 b/c recruiting was weeks away, he had no candidates and made a tremendous splash with the Vince Lombardi like selection of Zooker.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When AD Mal Moore stepped to the podium 17 years ago and announced that Nick Saban was the new head coach of the Crimson Tide everyone knew Alabama had a winner and the drought after the retirement of Bear Bryant was over.

It has been mentioned that Dabo Swinney would be a good fit at Alabama. He is an Alabama alum. Like Saban who had previously won a National Championship at LSU, Dabo has won a National Championship at Clemson a school which has an SEC vibe. Auburn with a lake it has been jokingly called. If Alabama was firing a losing coach I could see Dabo jumping at the job, but I don't see him wanting to come back home in the present situation.

I don't know which, if any, current big name college coach who would take this job. Mike Vrabel the recently fired head coach of the Tennessee Titans would be an interesting and surprise hire. I'm starting to see his name pop up as a possible candidate.
I'd be shocked if he isn't the next pats coach. Shocked.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Bama fans don't want Dabo. Someone told me that he refuses to use the transfer portal and if that's true, he will never sniff another NC.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bama fans don't want Dabo. Someone told me that he refuses to use the transfer portal and if that's true, he will never sniff another NC.
He cannot win without a transcendent quarterback

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.