Noles lose by 60 to UGA, decide not to hang NC banner

Gator CPA

Nov 16, 2015
My resolution....you all might think no way this will ever happen but here it goes.

1. Transfer portal is open only after the ending of the National Championship game.

2. Only allowed to transfer one time and if you do...must sit out a year. No exceptions!

3. To be bowl eligible...a team must win 8 games minimum. If you "opt-out", a school can come after you for restitution of all the money they've invested in you.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My resolution....you all might think no way this will ever happen but here it goes.

1. Transfer portal is open only after the ending of the National Championship game.

2. Only allowed to transfer one time and if you do...must sit out a year. No exceptions!

3. To be bowl eligible...a team must win 8 games minimum. If you "opt-out", a school can come after you for restitution of all the money they've invested in you.

I would adjust number three to connect NIL deals to the post season. That is, failure to participate in a bowl game with your team dramatically reduces the NIL payout and/or renders it null and void.
Money is THE motivator for today’s players so attach the desired behavior directly to the money.

Problem solved.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I would adjust number three to connect NIL deals to the post season. That is, failure to participate in a bowl game with your team dramatically reduces the NIL payout and/or renders it null and void.
Money is THE motivator for today’s players so attach the desired behavior directly to the money.

Problem solved.
Very good points. I would like to see it to where most of the $$$ can only be paid at the conclusion of the team's last game, whether it be at seasons end or after bowl season. They could also put part of those dollars in an Insurance policy based on projected draft status to protect those players if they were to have a career ending injury.

The whole thing just sucks. Let me pay you for playing but when it comes time to play in a bowl when it counts, "ah, I'm gonna opt out". I would expect some that are in the playoff will stay, but it may rear it's ugly head somewhere in the future.

Gator CPA

Nov 16, 2015

Problem

Problem solved.
I like that adjustment! That will also curb some of those "opt-out" quitters to.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

8 games minimum would eliminate a ton of these worthless bowl games, and probably kill any chance of Tater ever getting us to one.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

Problem solved.
NIL money is not paid for playing football, it is for the payor's use of the payee's Name, Image or Likeness in advertising or other profit-making endeavors.

Use the player's name, image or likeness, pay the player for the use.

You want the courts, who have said this is a fair trade that must be allowed, to sanction taking away money previously earned because a player decides to no longer participate in the contests? Fat chance!

EDIT: to add to this...I agree this needs a resolution that works, but taking back earned "wages" isn't it.

Last edited:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

OK, to keep it equitable. If a coach, under contract, leaves for a lateral position they have to sit out a year. Promotions don't apply to the sit-out rule.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
They need to kill the free agency.
Immediate eligibility for any reason is the problem. Without that, these transfers don't happen like this.
Agree 100%. I doubt that Genie ever goes back in the bottle though...some liberal court somewhere would say it's unfair since these players are now paid.

I would also like any NIL deals to be "graduated or tiered" so that if a player bolts within say 2 or 3 years to go elsewhere they would go backward on the tier for the first year with an exception for RJR's, SR's or RSR's only.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree 100%. I doubt that Genie ever goes back in the bottle though...some liberal court somewhere would say it's unfair since these players are now paid.

I would also like any NIL deals to be "graduated or tiered" so that if a player bolts within say 2 or 3 years to go elsewhere they would go backward on the tier for the first year with an exception for RJR's, SR's or RSR's only.
I don't know...I view the NIL and transfer rules as completely separate.
In fact, tightening up transfer rules would possibly strengthen NILs

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Altitude Gator is correct. These funds are tied to the use of Name, Image and Likeness. I believe things will get worked out where the contracts are more incentivized to play. They will also be one year contracts in case a player decides to leave OR sucks at the college level.

Bowl games have always been a glorified scrimmage. An exhibition game to celebrate and reward a good season. Other than those that help determine a National Championship it’s the way it’s been. With the youth today, they don’t want to be part of an exhibition and they learned over the years it can certainly effect their long term plans.

Make the regular bowl games incentivized for players to play and make coin.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Adapt or die; this cat isn't going back into the bag. It sucks as a fan, but some schools/fanbases will do anything to win. Does anyone really believe the ones who are finding success in the current landscape are going to go along with rule changes that make it harder on them? Naaaah. This doesn't even address that if, by some miracle, more draconian rules are put into place, that some liberal judge won't shut it down. There are options available to the conference to disassociate with the NCAA and form their own league with their own governing bodies/rules, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Like we've seen at our beloved school, the money from TV outweighs any motivation by those in charge to change the status quo. The schools and conferences are raking in money hand over fist whether they put a good product on the field or not; where's the incentive to do anything differently? It's going to take fans disengaging and the TV money drying up to bring about any sort of real change, but by then it'll be too late.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There's a difference between NIL and transfer rules. NIL isn't changing, but I don't see why the transfer rules can't go back to how they were pre-Covid. Having to sit out a year was a significant (and fair) deterrent.

Gator CPA

Nov 16, 2015
Could this thread PLEASE get back to fsu being completely exposed, spanked, humiliated?

There's a difference between NIL and transfer rules. NIL isn't changing, but I don't see why the transfer rules can't go back to how they were pre-Covid. Having to sit out a year was a significant (and fair) deterrent.
If I recall....in addition to sitting out a year...you weren't allow to transfer to another school within the same conference without approval from the team you transferred from.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No transferring. You don’t like it at the school you committed to attend, then go work construction. Frankly this would also prevent places like Bama from signing every good recruit in the country because they all can’t be the starters.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They are separate issues, but the courts are getting involved with the transfer rules as well.

While I can understand why the courts ruled the way they did for NIL, it makes no sense to me that the transfer rules would violate anti trust laws. Hopefully the NCAA ultimately wins this one.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
They are separate issues, but the courts are getting involved with the transfer rules as well.

While I can understand why the courts ruled the way they did for NIL, it makes no sense to me that the transfer rules would violate anti trust laws. Hopefully the NCAA ultimately wins this one.
Perhaps one of our lawyers here can explain this ruling, but it seems to me that an association of voluntary members should be able to say who can play in the association and who can't. Like Bernardo, I too can see why NIL is a separate issue, but this ruling on transfers seems like a bit of a head scratcher

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator