Nuss gets raise.....and two year extension

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He has coached an offense with an offensive line that was just ........offensive. Not his fault No Qb that we could discern (unless you count that meteor we lost as soon as we got excited). And he had to compete against the SEC and fsu.........arguably murderers row. You coach with a under recruited OL and lousy QBs. He beat rivals. And won the east twice with this offense and a lot of defense. AN offense ranked 116 or whatever you have on speed dial I see here at least once a day. He has a contract for this year and next. WE have some players coming in now to give us hope and these are his guys...............his raise aint gonna break the bank. Go have a strong drink and come in off the ledge.

Comments like this baffle me. NussChump is the UF Offensive Coordinator. It is his job to determine who the best player's are and play them. If he was dealt bad hands at positions such as OL, QB etc. he knew that coming into the job and it is his F'ING job to figure out how to score points. He should have been demanding that Summers be fired as OL coach, move Skipper from RB to LB and don't get me started on Nord...

He OWNS the offense - the production starts and ends with him. And. as posted previously Mac is even more at fault for allowing this ****ty offense to take place.

If you were 116/128 in your job would keep it with a raise and an extension...I doubt it...

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
http://www.businessinsider.com/famo...d-prototypes-and-his-savings-over-15-years-26
Comments like this baffle me. NussChump is the UF Offensive Coordinator. It is his job to determine who the best player's are and play them. If he was dealt bad hands at positions such as OL, QB etc. he knew that coming into the job and it is his F'ING job to figure out how to score points. He should have been demanding that Summers be fired as OL coach,
I guess my point is he had NO OFFENSIVE line to speak of. That is like being a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Then throw in the fact he had no QB worthy of the position that didnt take OTC mystery sh#t.................How many OC's could take a team in two years with that deficit in the SEC and turn it around...........It was gonna take recruiting some players and developing others.......year three.........let's see........

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

You finishing in the 30s with the most talent ever assembled on a college football field (and getting youre replacement hired A MONTH BEFORE and moved out of your office by the new "offensive consultant Lane Kiffin" becaise you were TOO FVKKING CONSERVATIVE FOR NICK SABAN) is "the offense was good."

Even you arent stupid enough to believe that.

And even you are stupid enough to believe we had the 116th talent, despite the shoetcomings of the roster. Hell Mushdump did better at both Uf and at USC with their shyt talent.
You are one angry little man.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.businessinsider.com/famo...d-prototypes-and-his-savings-over-15-years-26

I guess my point is he had NO OFFENSIVE line to speak of. That is like being a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Then throw in the fact he had no QB worthy of the position that didnt take OTC mystery sh#t.................How many OC's could take a team in two years with that deficit in the SEC and turn it around...........It was gonna take recruiting some players and developing others.......year three.........let's see........
I'm going to pray for you.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There are actually pumpers on TOS DEFENDING Nuss's increase. It's like they are flat out brainwashed over there. It's way beyond anything that happens here. Hell, they called 2222 negative.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There are actually pumpers on TOS DEFENDING Nuss's increase. It's like they are flat out brainwashed over there. It's way beyond anything that happens here. Hell, they called 2222 negative.
You'll have to provide proof for me to buy that one.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
2017-06-17-Nussmeier-Offenses-before-and-after_hv6nju.jpg

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ussmeier-needs-to-change-his-approach-in-2017

The addition of graduate transfer QB Malik Zaire sparked a debate among Florida Gators fans about who should play quarterback in 2017.

I’ve argued – both here and on the most recentGators Breakdown podcast – that it’s important to get redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks meaningful snaps because the defense isn’t ready for a championship run.

But who starts at quarterback doesn’t matter if he isn’t in position to succeed. And after taking a closer look at the resume of offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, I have serious concerns about whether he will put them in that position.

Statistical analysis of Doug Nussmeier as an offensive coordinator
On initial inspection, Nussmeier’s resume is impressive. He mentored QB Jake Locker as the offensive coordinator at Washington and won a national championship with Alabama serving in the same capacity.

But looking further into his record, there doesn’t appear to be much evidence that Nussmeier makes offenses better.

Offensive statistics the year prior to, during, and the year after Doug Nussmeier was offensive coordinator. (Will Miles/SEC Country)
The above chart shows that in gory detail. Offenses at Fresno State, Michigan and Florida all got worse under Nussmeier. The declines were enormous at Michigan and Florida. In three of his four stops, offenses improved when Nussmeier left. The one offense that stayed at about the same level was the 2014 Alabama team that made the College Football Playoff.

The bright spots on the chart are the significant improvement at Washington and slight improvement at Alabama. But Steve Sarkisian was the head coach at Washington and was the lead play-caller. And at Alabama, Nussmeier inherited QB AJ McCarron and four offensive linemen who have all played in the NFL, two of who were first-round draft picks (Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker).

Gators coach Jim McElwain likes to talk about being proud of what you put on film. Gators fans have seen the quality of the offense on film the previous two years. And the stats indicate that offenses have performed better both before and after Nussmeier’s arrival than while he was in charge.

Statistical analysis of Doug Nussmeier’s effect on quarterbacks
Looking further into his record, quarterbacks haven’t fared much better. Nussmeier has inherited four quarterbacks in his five stops as coordinator. Only McCarron has improved, and the other three have seen significant reductions in their productivity.

In only one of these cases (Florida) did the head coach change prior to Nussmeier’s arrival, so we can’t blame program instability for the statistics.

2017-06-17-Nussmeier-QB-before-and-after.emf_-3_b5dwfu.jpg

Quarterback play the year prior to and the first year of Doug Nussmeier being offensive coordinator. (Will Miles/SEC Country)
McCarron improved under Nussmeier. I happen to believe that has more to do with Alabama coach Nick Saban than Nussmeier. But if you’re going to judge the rest of his record, you have to acknowledge that his statistical record at Alabama was excellent with a pro-style running game and pocket passer.

In the other three stops, excellent is not the word I would use to describe the QB play.

In 2008, Tom Brandstater, a dark-horse candidate for the Heisman Trophy, took a significant step back from his ’07 production. But that was Pat Hill’s offense, so perhaps Nussmeier wasn’t to blame?

But in 2013, Brady Hoke and Michigan let go of offensive coordinator Al Borges because his offense had grown stale and predictable. The Wolverines brought in Nussmeier to revitalize the offense. Led by quarterback Devin Gardner, it tanked (NCAA rank: 111th). Gardner regressed as a passer, ran less often and ran less effectively (483 yards in ’13, 258 in ’14).

And Florida fans may forget, but Treon Harris played pretty well in his debut season under Will Muschamp and Brent Pease (QB rating of 146.2). He wasn’t asked to do much, but he did rush for 332 yards, and topped 40 rushing yards four times. Under Nussmeier, Harris never surpassed 40 yards rushing and ended the season with 239 yards rushing.

It’s the rushing yardage at the last two stops that concern me the most about Nussmeier. These stops have coincided with a time where college football offenses have changed. Even Saban has altered his approach, embracing dual-threat QBs and spread principles.

Nussmeier should have held an advantage at Michigan and Florida, because he inherited dual-threat QBs. Instead, he had them sit in the pocket and try to pick apart defenses. This shows an inability to adjust to personnel. Combine that with the predictability for which I’ve previously criticized Nussmeier, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Make-or-break year for Nussmeier at Florida
The performance of the Gators offense the last two years has earned Nussmeier a pretty short rope. If the offense continues to struggle this season, he may not be back in 2018. And while Florida fans have been waiting for a fully-developed Feleipe Franks to take the reins, Nussmeier’s track record with QBs makes me doubt that Franks is ready to take over.

That ensures that the offense is going to ride with Malik Zaire as the starter in ’17. That would be encouraging if Doug Nussmeier weren’t his offensive coordinator.

In Notre Dame’s win against LSU in the 2014 Music City Bowl, Zaire rushed for 96 yards on 22 carries. His passing numbers were efficient, but he wasn’t asked to do much (15 attempts). Zaire did light up Texas to open up the ’15 season through the air, but then went back to the same formula before breaking his ankle against Virginia (7-of-18 for 115 yards, 10 rushes for 87 yards).

Zaire is a dual-threat QB. And while he needs to be able to deliver the ball to open receivers, his formula for success will include running the ball effectively. And that is the exact formula that Nussmeier hasn’t embraced at his last two stops.

Many Gators fans will point to completion percentage, passing yardage or interceptions as the key indicator of QB success in ’17. I’m inclined to believe that instead the key stat is going to be QB rushing attempts.

College football has changed. Nussmeier needs to prove that he can change with it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ussmeier-needs-to-change-his-approach-in-2017

The addition of graduate transfer QB Malik Zaire sparked a debate among Florida Gators fans about who should play quarterback in 2017.

I’ve argued – both here and on the most recentGators Breakdown podcast – that it’s important to get redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks meaningful snaps because the defense isn’t ready for a championship run.

But who starts at quarterback doesn’t matter if he isn’t in position to succeed. And after taking a closer look at the resume of offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, I have serious concerns about whether he will put them in that position.

On initial inspection, Nussmeier’s resume is impressive. He mentored QB Jake Locker as the offensive coordinator at Washington and won a national championship with Alabama serving in the same capacity.

But looking further into his record, there doesn’t appear to be much evidence that Nussmeier makes offenses better.

Offensive statistics the year prior to, during, and the year after Doug Nussmeier was offensive coordinator. (Will Miles/SEC Country)
The above chart shows that in gory detail. Offenses at Fresno State, Michigan and Florida all got worse under Nussmeier. The declines were enormous at Michigan and Florida. In three of his four stops, offenses improved when Nussmeier left. The one offense that stayed at about the same level was the 2014 Alabama team that made the College Football Playoff.

The bright spots on the chart are the significant improvement at Washington and slight improvement at Alabama. But Steve Sarkisian was the head coach at Washington and was the lead play-caller. And at Alabama, Nussmeier inherited QB AJ McCarron and four offensive linemen who have all played in the NFL, two of who were first-round draft picks (Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker).

Gators coach Jim McElwain likes to talk about being proud of what you put on film. Gators fans have seen the quality of the offense on film the previous two years. And the stats indicate that offenses have performed better both before and after Nussmeier’s arrival than while he was in charge.

Looking further into his record, quarterbacks haven’t fared much better. Nussmeier has inherited four quarterbacks in his five stops as coordinator. Only McCarron has improved, and the other three have seen significant reductions in their productivity.

In only one of these cases (Florida) did the head coach change prior to Nussmeier’s arrival, so we can’t blame program instability for the statistics.

Quarterback play the year prior to and the first year of Doug Nussmeier being offensive coordinator. (Will Miles/SEC Country)
McCarron improved under Nussmeier. I happen to believe that has more to do with Alabama coach Nick Saban than Nussmeier. But if you’re going to judge the rest of his record, you have to acknowledge that his statistical record at Alabama was excellent with a pro-style running game and pocket passer.

In the other three stops, excellent is not the word I would use to describe the QB play.

In 2008, Tom Brandstater, a dark-horse candidate for the Heisman Trophy, took a significant step back from his ’07 production. But that was Pat Hill’s offense, so perhaps Nussmeier wasn’t to blame?

But in 2013, Brady Hoke and Michigan let go of offensive coordinator Al Borges because his offense had grown stale and predictable. The Wolverines brought in Nussmeier to revitalize the offense. Led by quarterback Devin Gardner, it tanked (NCAA rank: 111th). Gardner regressed as a passer, ran less often and ran less effectively (483 yards in ’13, 258 in ’14).

And Florida fans may forget, but Treon Harris played pretty well in his debut season under Will Muschamp and Brent Pease (QB rating of 146.2). He wasn’t asked to do much, but he did rush for 332 yards, and topped 40 rushing yards four times. Under Nussmeier, Harris never surpassed 40 yards rushing and ended the season with 239 yards rushing.

It’s the rushing yardage at the last two stops that concern me the most about Nussmeier. These stops have coincided with a time where college football offenses have changed. Even Saban has altered his approach, embracing dual-threat QBs and spread principles.

Nussmeier should have held an advantage at Michigan and Florida, because he inherited dual-threat QBs. Instead, he had them sit in the pocket and try to pick apart defenses. This shows an inability to adjust to personnel. Combine that with the predictability for which I’ve previously criticized Nussmeier, and you have a recipe for disaster.

The performance of the Gators offense the last two years has earned Nussmeier a pretty short rope. If the offense continues to struggle this season, he may not be back in 2018. And while Florida fans have been waiting for a fully-developed Feleipe Franks to take the reins, Nussmeier’s track record with QBs makes me doubt that Franks is ready to take over.

That ensures that the offense is going to ride with Malik Zaire as the starter in ’17. That would be encouraging if Doug Nussmeier weren’t his offensive coordinator.

In Notre Dame’s win against LSU in the 2014 Music City Bowl, Zaire rushed for 96 yards on 22 carries. His passing numbers were efficient, but he wasn’t asked to do much (15 attempts). Zaire did light up Texas to open up the ’15 season through the air, but then went back to the same formula before breaking his ankle against Virginia (7-of-18 for 115 yards, 10 rushes for 87 yards).

Zaire is a dual-threat QB. And while he needs to be able to deliver the ball to open receivers, his formula for success will include running the ball effectively. And that is the exact formula that Nussmeier hasn’t embraced at his last two stops.

Many Gators fans will point to completion percentage, passing yardage or interceptions as the key indicator of QB success in ’17. I’m inclined to believe that instead the key stat is going to be QB rushing attempts.

College football has changed. Nussmeier needs to prove that he can change with it.
It's not his fault. Coach already told us.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Nussmeier has been in the professional coaching industry since 2001. During those 15+ years as a coach, he has been with nine different programs. He spent a year with the Canadian Football League's BC Lions, a year with the Ottawa Renegades, three years with Michigan State, two years with the St. Louis Rams, a year with Fresno State, three years with Washington, two years with Alabama, a year with Michigan, and a year with Florida. That is quite the journey.

nussmeier.0.png

Nussmeier, in his whole career, has never spent more than 3 years at one job. If that trend continues this should be his last year here.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Can we never speak of this again?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This thread is gold!!

It's GOLD, Jerry! GOLD!!!

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Yeah, hard to find a post that didn't see the idiocy in this. We all knew it as a clusterfk deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator