***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: Orange vs Blue***

Which QB will have the better spring game?

• Feleipe Franks

Votes: 27 24.5%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 83 75.5%

• Total voters

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think because you were watching it at the stadium instead of on TV it looked like his runs were really athletic runs. But they weren’t. Take a look at it on the reply. The defense pulled up on him because they didn’t want to hit and tackle him.

The entire theme of this game was to prop up Franks And to try and re-instill his confidence. Trask did a better job of reading the defense but his accuracy sucks.
I thought Trask did better earlier on, but he did have a series with 3 bad throws in a row.
I still think Trask is a better passer than Franks, also better at going through progressions.

I want to see how much Jones picks up in the fall. From a raw talent stand point, he is better than everyone else and is definitely the future.
Not sure he will be ready, but it will at least be interesting to see how he handles fall practices. Dude can throw a dart and seems to have decent control when doing so.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Trask did better earlier on, but he did have a series with 3 bad throws in a row.
I still think Trask is a better passer than Franks, also better at going through progressions.

I want to see how much Jones picks up in the fall. From a raw talent stand point, he is better than everyone else and is definitely the future.
Not sure he will be ready, but it will at least be interesting to see how he handles fall practices. Dude can throw a dart and seems to have decent control when doing so.

It’s not just that the ball gets there in a hurry. He sees players as they move out of breaks so they catch the ball with nobody around them. Every time Franks or Trask throws the ball it’s in traffic. They cannot react or throw the ball fast enough to get the ball to the player when there is separation.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From what I saw, the offense was more fluid with more moving parts and not alot of standing around. They aren't going to give away the entire offense in the Spring game but they looked better coached that is for sure. Franks is still Franks and has the Yips. Trask has a ton of poise in the pocket and throws a great deep ball and throws lasers all over the field. Trask didn't run at all cause that was by design so teams are left guessing if he can run or not. Emory is going to be a special player at UF. If he isn't red shirted then he will be used as a mini Tim Tebow type with a wild cat/gator package in games. We are stacked and loaded at the RB position. Its up to the O-Line to be able to open up holes for them to get yardage. Our offense will be around the Top 40. Defensively we are gonna be flying around all over the place and making plays. We will be much more aggressive on D and bust up some teams. Our S&C will really show on D. All in all, its a spring game and gives us hope for the future under Dan Mullen. 9 wins upcoming if our QBs can produce and our O-Line holds up. Go Gators!!

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I think because you were watching it at the stadium instead of on TV it looked like his runs were really athletic runs. But they weren’t. Take a look at it on the replay. The defense pulled up on him because they didn’t want to hit and tackle him.

The entire theme of this game was to prop up Franks And to try and re-instill his confidence. Trask did a better job of reading the defense but his accuracy sucks.
You're right. Yeah i agree with this. He definitely got a long run on one where he would be tackled for maybe a 10-15 yard gain. Still a good run. The same could be said about Trask on a bunch of his drop backs. There was an alarming amount of times my dad or brother leaned over and said "that would've been a sack in live action". It happened more on trask drop backs .Idk if that's because of the D knowing at this point in spring what the O is running in certain formations or if its a combo of the D-line being better than the O line. Or maybe Trask or Franks need to make the decision quicker. There was plenty of times during the game where we said "Franks needs to make a decision quicker". He jusy holds it too long some times. So Mullen's decision is this...take the athletic QB that will probably also lose you games or take the QB that's safe but also boring and we barely score 20 a game. Hopefully if Trask is the guy there's enough playmakers to make the big plays necessary to be a more than serviceable offense.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
New coaches, new offense, everybody starting from square one. We won't know where we stand until game 2-5 against folks wearing different colors.Thank goodness we're moving ahead and leaving that dumpster fire that was.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I want so badly to pump. Just can't see it. Maybe our recruiting will pick up and we will play better in the fall and I will get back on board. Whooo! Whooo!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I want so badly to pump. Just can't see it. Maybe our recruiting will pick up and we will play better in the fall and I will get back on board. Whooo! Whooo!
Sitting this one out is the logical choice, jist as the last two were, amd yet we wear orange and blue glasses.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm admittedly jaded, but I saw a lot of the same ol crap. Not much stood out to me to think that we will be much more than a middle of the pack SEC team this year. The receivers looked better and there are more of them that are good options to throw to but you've got to have someone who can to throw it to them. Jones looked like someone who can actually end up being a real QB who can make plays, but he's not going to be ready enough this year. Franks is a lost cause and Trask is way too inconsistent. We don't have a QB who is ready to run Mullen's system as it's designed to be run. Looks like yet another square peg/round hole scenario at QB this year.

RB's look good and they better be because they are going to see a lot of action this year. And did anyone else notice how often the center lobs a floating snap back to the QB instead of a crisp fast delivery? It throws off the timing of the play. Fix it.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'm not ready to pump either but I really liked what I saw from Jones today. Imo I think he should be starting by game 4-5. Why waste a year if he's even 65% ready. Clearly he's the best fit for Mullen's system and I'd rather he take his lumps this year so that he's prepared already before going into year 2.

I haven't been on the Mullen wagon at all yet but it is a breathe of fresh air to see elite talent visiting again and I give him full credit for getting those players on campus. I also liked the format of the game this year and him letting the kids have fun when they scored. You could tell even on the TV that this group seems more enthusiastic about football and Mullen gets the credit for that as well.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I'm definitely not a pumper but I think we're better than middle of the pack SEC. Our D is stacked. If Franks doesn't outright lose us games we will win 8-9 games. The SEC east is not good. We are stacked at RB and our D will win us some games. CJ Henderson and Marco or other DBs will bail-out another probably conservative offense with a few pick 6s that will be enough to eek out some wins.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I agree with the majority here, we should be better than last year but that is not saying much. I think we have 6-7 wins this season. Jones looks like he has a ton of potential, and Mullen is clearly playing down expectations and is trying to protect him while he coaches him, but he is the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.