Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs South Carolina***

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
That pump fake was great!

And most of all as you say about Beamer. Absolutely, loved watching his punk azz go down. He'll be a coordinator in a couple of seasons.
Beamer is going no where as long as he gets to bowl games regularly and has the occasional 9 win season. The expectations there are lower. See KY and Stoops.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe we are learning how to win? Staff as well?

On the comeback drives we went 3rd and 10 at least once, 4th and 11 once. Not unreasonable to ask, how do get those downs and distances? Does BN and the offense have it in them to hit those plays on 1st and 2nd down and ditch some of the conservative, safe repertoire? Hope so. The plays we hit to stay in the game were long shots for the offense we have seen for 18 games. But maybe BN needs to think “comeback” mode before we get to the 5 minute mark.

C’mon BN, make georgia dizzy.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I did complain about the running about on the kneel down plays. I know it takes a few more seconds off, but I don't like the risk of Mertz getting cheap shotted and/or unsportsman like conduct like at the end of the TN game or a fumble, etc (although that is a very minor concern). I understand the reason for it, I just don't care for the risk of losing Mertz or an Olineman for the next game.

My preference would have been to take the snap, take a few steps back and take the knee in plenty of time to avoid trouble, then take the safety on 4th down, even if there may have been a few more seconds after the free kick.

As for the safety, I gave it an aw shucks that he didn't keep running to the opposite sideline and kill the clock...it seemed possible at that point.

All of this is minor compared to how happy I was overall at the play calling, decision making and clock management to end the game. I have been very critical of all of those to date and this was clearly improved!
Only thing I would say re the safety is, it’s just not something they would practice and actually review in sessions. If Mertz had it to do again, he probably would take more time off clock.

Wish we had more game threads. scUM lost last night. :sweet:

Paapa

Sep 18, 2023
This is my take after Napier's first 19 games or is it 17. Whatever. The last 33 yrs of gator football saw us go from eternal bridesmaids to a national program. SOS and Urban made it look easy. One was the genius that had good talent his first year and the other was a recruiter that was loaded when he got here. But my point is they hit the ground winning quickly. That is usually the exception to the rule. Most coaches dont do that. Billy came in with even less talent than the last three coaches. But the game is now all about talent. Kirby has proved it with his NFL defense the last few years. The draft proves what he has. Saban has done it for a long time. Load the lines with nfl talent and win. Billy is doing the most important thing. He is getting the players, establishing relationships in Fla high schools and recruiting his asss off. THAT is how you win now. He keeps this class together and we are full steam ahead. TOnite was a feel good game. Young fellas all over the def. and we have one of those almost miracle finishes............Mertz loves being here. Loves being a gator. We all should. Napier's interview after the game told me a lot about the man. He does not need to be a rah rah emotional idiot. Beamer is and he lost. The def. coach is that way and it works...........other staff can be that way. Billy needs to be himself.................
Exactly

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The only criticism I'll give Napier on that last sequence that led to us taking the safety, was the immediate kneel down on 1st down. You've got to know they have 3 time outs and doing that first kneel down without running around a little at first was the reason we even had to take the safety. One poster was saying rollout and throw it up the sideline, that's exactly what Mathews was saying on the radio to do. So maybe we do that in the future.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
This may have already been mentioned but what was more satisfying about this win is their ugly ass albino quarterback not getting the chance to mock the Gator chomp the way he did during the bowl game back in the 2020 season. I also recall Shane Beamer talking schitt about UF during the 2021 season. I just can't remember what he said exactly.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
The only criticism I'll give Napier on that last sequence that led to us taking the safety, was the immediate kneel down on 1st down. You've got to know they have 3 time outs and doing that first kneel down without running around a little at first was the reason we even had to take the safety. One poster was saying rollout and throw it up the sideline, that's exactly what Mathews was saying on the radio to do. So maybe we do that in the future.

My thoughts watching the replay back were that he didn't believe Beamer was going to use the timeouts. Billy has his headset off and is beginning to walk on the field when the TO is called. I think he thought after what happened at the end of UT we wouldn't see something like we did, but we did.

Hindsight, yea probably should roll out and chuck it deep because the clock can't stop until the ball hits the ground, but in the moment, I at least kind of understand what Billy was thinking on that one.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My thoughts watching the replay back were that he didn't believe Beamer was going to use the timeouts. Billy has his headset off and is beginning to walk on the field when the TO is called. I think he thought after what happened at the end of UT we wouldn't see something like we did, but we did.

Hindsight, yea probably should roll out and chuck it deep because the clock can't stop until the ball hits the ground, but in the moment, I at least kind of understand what Billy was thinking on that one.

Really even just having GM not take an immediate knee would’ve worked. I get Beamer taking the TO’s. Unlike tennessee he actually was one fluke play from winning. The vols had no chance. Especially with his focus on STs, forcing us to punt there made total sense. I think our first down took 1 second off the clock, while 2nd and 3rd took like 5 off each. If 1st down is 4 seconds, the safety play ends it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Beamer did the right thing taking the TO's (always give your team a chance), but I agree we didn't run any time off on first down because, right or wrong, Billy didn't expect him to do it.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At least Beamer was somewhat justified calling the timeouts; unlike calling a TO with 7 seconds to go and zero chance.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
At least Beamer was somewhat justified calling the timeouts; unlike calling a TO with 7 seconds to go and zero chance.
I don't disagree. I'm not justifying what we did, just trying to take a guess at what Billy might be thinking.

Also, on another note, SC took 20 seconds off the clock with their 2 pays before the INT. That's some interesting clock management.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Listen, it was a nice win. And it was 2 in a row. We win 3 and thats called.... a winning streak. (Bonus points for those who get the reference). But lets pump the brakes on everything is gonna be great if we just keep doing what we are doing for another year or 2 b/c it absolutely is not.

Corch claims getting top talent wins titles. Sorry but that aint true. You're aren't winning a title without it, but it takes that plus a lot of good coaching, game planning and a scheme that takes advantages of weaknesses on both sides of the ball. If simply amassing talent won titles coaches like les miles and ogre would still be employed and a guy like jimbob dipsht wouldn't be on the verge of being run out of town. Those dudes had and have LOADS of talent and boatloads of money to bring more in, but their schemes and coaching sucked so they were either fired or their pants are en fuego right now.

We need a legit OC that attacks defenses in vulnerable areas - in the air and on the ground, and not just in certain areas of the field. We need an ST coordinator that can find ways to create or seize momentum. And we need to see sound fundamentals and discipline displayed consistently, not just here and there. (We also need to recruit some freaking O-lineman worth a turd but that's for another thread.)

I will generally agree with corch that establishing crootin relationships and getting good players improves your winning chances and should improve your record, but again, talent without proper direction, development, and without a sound plan of attack isnt going to do all that much. We've had that before and no one liked Zook. We are trending up and thats great, but stop with the mental felatio about crootin being the end all be all. And if I'm completely wrong and all that it takes is talent, then for the love of Christ, get some dang O-linemen!!!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe it’s age. But their once polite and humble fanbase has become insufferable.

It’s not you, their fanbase has really changed since Spurrier departed.
The SCAR fanbase has suddenly become somewhat entitled and seem to have forgotten who they really are and that 6-6 is a respectable season for them.
It’s gotten so bad that they now trash Spurrier on a regular basis.

I think they are starting the process of readjusting their expectations to preSOS levels.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Listen, it was a nice win. And it was 2 in a row. We win 3 and thats called.... a winning streak. (Bonus points for those who get the reference). But lets pump the brakes on everything is gonna be great if we just keep doing what we are doing for another year or 2 b/c it absolutely is not.

Corch claims getting top talent wins titles. Sorry but that aint true. You're aren't winning a title without it, but it takes that plus a lot of good coaching, game planning and a scheme that takes advantages of weaknesses on both sides of the ball. If simply amassing talent won titles coaches like les miles and ogre would still be employed and a guy like jimbob dipsht wouldn't be on the verge of being run out of town. Those dudes had and have LOADS of talent and boatloads of money to bring more in, but their schemes and coaching sucked so they were either fired or their pants are en fuego right now.

We need a legit OC that attacks defenses in vulnerable areas - in the air and on the ground, and not just in certain areas of the field. We need an ST coordinator that can find ways to create or seize momentum. And we need to see sound fundamentals and discipline displayed consistently, not just here and there. (We also need to recruit some freaking O-lineman worth a turd but that's for another thread.)

I will generally agree with corch that establishing crootin relationships and getting good players improves your winning chances and should improve your record, but again, talent without proper direction, development, and without a sound plan of attack isnt going to do all that much. We've had that before and no one liked Zook. We are trending up and thats great, but stop with the mental felatio about crootin being the end all be all. And if I'm completely wrong and all that it takes is talent, then for the love of Christ, get some dang O-linemen!!!
So, be miserable pricks like you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator