Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs South Carolina***

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Started fast, ended the first half with a score and finished the game with with some clutch scores. Pretty impressed with that growth.
This X100. We just need a few more guys to get their heads outta their asses on a consistent basis. There was a 3rd or 4th down on the first drive I believe where Mertz tried to sneak the ball and was stopped at first....it was almost like our guys had to think about pushing the pile for a couple of seconds before they did...we were lucky they didn't call his progress stopped making it 4th down....little things like that throughout the game are the difference sometimes between winning and losing a close game.

We also need someone on defense to proclaim "I'm the Man"....

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
This X100. We just need a few more guys to get their heads outta their asses on a consistent basis. There was a 3rd or 4th down on the first drive I believe where Mertz tried to sneak the ball and was stopped at first....it was almost like our guys had to think about pushing the pile for a couple of seconds before they did...we were lucky they didn't call his progress stopped making it 4th down....little things like that throughout the game are the difference sometimes between winning and losing a close game.

Young team being young.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Here is the difference between coaches. All of is are happy with the win but that doesn't excuse shifty coaching on D for almost the whole game or shifty play calling for 1.5 quarters in the 2nd half.

I also didn't disagree with the safety, only the execution. I rewatched the safety prior to posting. Mertz had 2 guys on his ass as he was running out of the end zone. No possibility of strip sack with the qb having the ball?? BS. Put ET or Pearsall back there. Better hands, faster, and used to contact with the ball in their hands. Why no holding on the play with only 8 seconds left?

You folks and our coaches are giddy over a 2 pt win over a 2 win SC team. Meanwhile Saban is ripping someone a new ass over not executing the VICTORY formation without a penalty in the waning seconds. You all think he is happy with a 3 pt win over Arkansas? He most likely feels almost as bad as had he lost. That's why Alabama has won a bunch of titles since he has been there. Saban wants perfection on every play regardless of score. That breeds a winning mentality.

I was watching the game with a bunch of Gamecocke fans and am happy with the win, but every coach on this staff will watch this film and point out mistakes in execution, play calling, personnel issues, etc, . If they dont, they are nuts.

This staff doesn't deserve a pass because of a 2 game win streak when the opponents are Vandy and USC. I still have nightmares about UK skull fng us and Utah making us look stupid with a 3rd string QB and a bunch of starters out hurt.

Go Gators!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It’s called pursuit of perfection. Something they were taught.
I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
M J Fox
The pursuit of perfection often impedes improvement.
George Will

voltaire1-2x.jpg

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
LOVED how the place was rocking and went funeral home quiet in an instant when Pearsall caught that TD.

The play developed beautifully right in front of me, Mertz pump fake was beautiful.

Beamer is such a ****ing punk. Nice to cram it sideways down that big yapper of his and knock the smug smile off his face.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Here is the difference between coaches. All of is are happy with the win but that doesn't excuse shifty coaching on D for almost the whole game or shifty play calling for 1.5 quarters in the 2nd half.

I also didn't disagree with the safety, only the execution. I rewatched the safety prior to posting. Mertz had 2 guys on his ass as he was running out of the end zone. No possibility of strip sack with the qb having the ball?? BS. Put ET or Pearsall back there. Better hands, faster, and used to contact with the ball in their hands. Why no holding on the play with only 8 seconds left?

You folks and our coaches are giddy over a 2 pt win over a 2 win SC team. Meanwhile Saban is ripping someone a new ass over not executing the VICTORY formation without a penalty in the waning seconds. You all think he is happy with a 3 pt win over Arkansas? He most likely feels almost as bad as had he lost. That's why Alabama has won a bunch of titles since he has been there. Saban wants perfection on every play regardless of score. That breeds a winning mentality.

I was watching the game with a bunch of Gamecocke fans and am happy with the win, but every coach on this staff will watch this film and point out mistakes in execution, play calling, personnel issues, etc, . If they dont, they are nuts.

This staff doesn't deserve a pass because of a 2 game win streak when the opponents are Vandy and USC. I still have nightmares about UK skull fng us and Utah making us look stupid with a 3rd string QB and a bunch of starters out hurt.

Go Gators!

Good post, and I don’t disagree with your points. But in terms of how we handled the win vs Saban and Co., a billionaire finding a random $100 in his pocket is a lot different than a 50k a year guy.l finding it. Right now, like it or not, we’re that 50k a year guy and have to celebrate the baby steps. I think it helps build the culture. No question, the film review should be brutal critiquing, but there’s another time for that.

I’ll also add that 2-3 Usce had faced UNC, uga(they lead at the half) and the vols. They’re not a bad team at all, imo. Rattler was a starter for Ou under Riley and the Anderson kid is stout.

I do agree that the safety play as closer than I thought. I’d said he could’ve extended it and killed the final few seconds but they were closer than I first noticed. I’d gone straight bourbon at that point.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Go Gators!
Just so you know, there is only one Saban and he’s not roaming the sidelines in Gainesville. What next…comparing Mertz to Brady? If you’re looking for perfection out of one of the youngest teams in college football with possibly the toughest schedule, you’re going to continue to be disappointed.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
LOVED how the place was rocking and went funeral home quiet in an instant when Pearsall caught that TD.

The play developed beautifully right in front of me, Mertz pump fake was beautiful.

Beamer is such a ****ing punk. Nice to cram it sideways down that big yapper of his and knock the smug smile off his face.
That pump fake was great!

And most of all as you say about Beamer. Absolutely, loved watching his punk azz go down. He'll be a coordinator in a couple of seasons.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Just so you know, there is only one Saban and he’s not roaming the sidelines in Gainesville. What next…comparing Mertz to Brady? If you’re looking for perfection out of one of the youngest teams in college football with possibly the toughest schedule, you’re going to continue to be disappointed.

Tom Brady and Graham Mertz shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence. Not only is Mertz a better QB than Brady, when Graham dates a model he’s able to actually keep her around.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He might end up being our most confident player since Harvin. He’s just wired differently, and @GatorJ called this. Everything he does looks like he’s going to be ridiculous.
EWIII is just special. There’s another kid in this class just like him. Unfortunately he’s in Texas Tech’s class. I was really hoping we get him. Absolute beast. His name is Micah Hudson.

Remember his name.

We don’t have a special kid like EWIII on offense in this class IMO. We have some solid WRs but nothing crazy. That’s the reason why Jeremiah Smith is so important. We don’t have anybody like him on our team that can stretch the field. He would be a touchdown machine here.

Btw - Pearsall is going to make himself some money in the NFL. Imagine him in McVay’s or Holmgren’s offense.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
BN made reference to the oline play during his presser. He said. basically, that's why he was hired. He knows how to build OLs.

I thought it was a little out of context. But... he's right. Only 83 rushing yards.

We've been hurt all year so the line has been a mishmash. It's understandable that they have struggled.

Some thoughts:

1) Its great that we could get 423 passing yards. We saw verticle routes and completions too. This may make fans feel much better about upcoming seasons. A running team that can also pass to win is a great combo.

2) I hope he and his staff are working behind the scenes to recruit a couple of blue chip OLs this cycle. We really lack quality depth.

3) Maybe we can pick up one or two quality guys in the portal.

Last edited:

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I didn't mention anything about me expecting perfection from a young team.

And no **** Saban isn't roaming our sidelines. The attitude our of BN versus Saban when it comes to execution. Saban demands perfection. He doesn't get it but the standard is set. We just happy to win?

Look at Saban post game presser is virtually no difference in Arkys post game pressure.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Getting speed in the game and the TE involved has been bigly important. Biggest surprise was the first drive. Coming out ready to play and sticking it in the end zone. Offense then got confused and thought they were done. Thankfully Smack

Safety? If we hadn’t knelt in 1 sec on 1st down we didn’t need no stinking safety

:stirpot:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Taking the safety was 100 percent the correct call,
This is right but incomplete. The wrong call was the 1 second kneel down on first. Then, Mertz running out of the endzone was also wrong. Go to one side, then the other and fall over o ly when the defense gets close. Safety should have ended the game, not had a punt if we manage the clock well from the outset.

Also, on 4th, having messed up already, a safety was probably the right call but it is arguable that a punt block is less likely than a facemask or horse collar call for 15 yards after even a mediocre run back (which could be game losing fg range). I prefer the safety since Smack kicks the ball a mile and spreads out their returners, but this was not a well run end of game situation.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
At down 10, I thought we were going to lose. We just don’t win roads games. But holy crap what a finish.

There is a reason Mitchell and Wingo don’t play much. Defense will continue to improve as depth improves.

Hope Seaton saw how much we need him.
T.Mitchell at LB and M.Mitchell at safety got trucked and missed tackles. We’ve taken a step back in terms of discipline and tackling.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

Mertz has “the man” bit covered on O, but yeah, we haven’t found that dude on defense and it shows.

Thankfully, offense got the fast start we needed because if they had come out flat like the defense we would have been crushed under a barrage of early scores.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Go Gators!
This post is embarrassing. ALL OF US know where this team stands, we aren't championship material, and no one expects us to be. All we're asking for is progress, and we got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator