Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs South Carolina***

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
From This thread i get this.

Safety was good call and bad call. I didn't like the execution. Mertz was the guy in the end zone. Should have been Pearsall. Better hands. Should have run more time off. Every player on O should have tackled their assigned player. Didnt see the kick after safety but you can place kick instead of punt so less chance of a shank. The safety is risky because I kept invisioning a strip sack and recovery for a td. The Crystal balls gets off the hook. Couldn't happen? UM thought the same last week and every fan of the game made fun of him for it. Risky! But worked.

Napiers play calling in the 3rd and 4th sucked balls sans the few minutes. We watched a 24-21 halftime lead go to 37-27 in a 1.5 quarters. We forget on a 4th and 10 we threw to the TE 12 yards in front of the sticks and he had to break a tackle and get a downfield block to get the 1st down! Otherwise! Gameover.

This was a 2-3 SC team that was bad on O and D. Their qb is good. Their RB is a D3 transfer from Newberry and was running over our LBs all night. We were in a 3 DL look a lot and got torched by Rattler due to no pressure. 3 big DTs got no rush.

Our OL is going to get Mertz killed. Kid is a fan baller and wears 15 proudly. Should be a rule if you wear 15 you better be a bad ass.Mertz is my favorite Gator followed by Pearsall with Smack and #3. #3 is the closest thing I have seen to Percy. Kid is electric. Enjoy him the next 2 seasons cause he will be in the league.

So the good? We got a win in a game where both teams were trying to give it away. Maybe BN is figuring out throwing deep will cause the completion % to drop but it causes the defense to play deep. 22 bodies within 15 yards of the ball creates tight windows and you have to be perfect.

We score 14 points in the last half of the 4th and needed every one of them. Smack will get paid at the next level. Mertz will make an NFL roster. I think we threw a lot because ET and Johnson are banged up. Kid delivered. Stoked we have Mertz for another year. Stoked we have #3, Boarding ham and the other TE. Sucks to lose Pearsall.

Maybe BN is growing but has a long way to go. This should have been a blowout but the mark of a good team is how well you play when you don't play your best. How good is your C or D game. The last half of the 4th qtr was an A÷ with extra credit points on top. The first 3.5 qtrs was a mix of D and C with the occasional B- pop quiz thrown in. SC played their tails off. Beamer is a great coach with a really good qb and rb with good receiver,, but little else.

The smart thing to do when you realize you playcalling sucks is to admit and make a change. We saw some of that tonight, but we are still running routes short of the LTG . But the road to recovery starts with the first step and let's hope tonight is the first step.

Better news is the Gators won a game where every indicator was we were going to lose, so kudos to the team. Willie B can be a hell of a place to play if the home team gets going.
Best post in this thread. Maybe a “how’s your bush” stickied thread each week to join Cover and Truth?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I95

We got a conservative quote g a liberal who is quoting a RINO.

The pursuit of perfection leads to improvement. Ever hear the phrase dont do it til you get it right, do it until you can't get it wrong.
I don’t think you understand the concept that’s being discussed.

Keep doing it.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I just realized SC had a bye last week. This was thier homecoming.

So they were well rested and motivated.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ALL OF US know where this team stands, we aren't championship material, and no one expects us to be. All we're asking for is progress, and we got it.
snl s reactions GIF

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We have lost this message.
The real message is striving for excellence is great. But then expecting it soon from people this young and a coaching staff they got here last year is folly. Even SOS never came close to excellence (winning lots of natties and beating Bobby often) but he was EXCITING and that is the difference. We miss that excitement. Well, it got exciting yesterday and I am a happy old guy today. My glass is full today. Some glasses never look half full............
;)

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ETN shotgun snap then pass for the 2 point conversion was a nice play.
Not only that, but even going for two was big and unexpected for a guy who has been labeled "too conservative" by many, myself included. Props to Napier for going for it there.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Not only that, but even going for two was big and unexpected for a guy who has been labeled "too conservative" by many, myself included. Props to Napier for going for it there.
When a penalty puts you at the 1 instead of the 2, it's better to go for it. Odds of conversion go way up.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
Maybe our coaching staff should be more like Texas A&M. Overrated, overpaid, and underachieving. Their classes have been top ten since Jimbo robbed them blind including the “greatest class of all time” in 2022 according to the talking heads. They have already lost 3 games this with Ole Miss and LSU still to come. Alumni must be ready to cut the check soon to extract Jimbo from College Station.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I just rewatched the game. Some things I noticed:

SC 31 -UF 27
11:50 in the 4th, , 4th down
UF FG attempt blocked.

SC takes over and scores.
SC 37-27
9:11

Game Over for prior BN teams.

We score two unanswered TDs.

*We scored on the first possession of both halfs (TD,FG), and scored on the last possession of the game (TD).

* Refs allowed a lot of holding by SC OL and DBs. They had jersey on almost every play.

* Two of Rattlers long completions were ICBMs and could have been picked off (or broken up). CBs need to get thier heads turned and find the ball.

* Our DL caused 2 SC jump penalties and a forced timeout. That was a great plan by the coaches. Nice touch.

* Lots of nice, 3 deep, passing routes

* Both lines struggled. Neither played well as a unit. Very inconsistent.

Pretty clean game. Especially on the road.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe our coaching staff should be more like Texas A&M. Overrated, overpaid, and underachieving. Their classes have been top ten since Jimbo robbed them blind including the “greatest class of all time” in 2022 according to the talking heads. They have already lost 3 games this with Ole Miss and LSU still to come. Alumni must be ready to cut the check soon to extract Jimbo from College Station.
A&M has overtaken Muschamp as the best coaching staff to do so little with so much.

It's almost impossible. I think it's a record.

Last edited:

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here is the difference between coaches. All of is are happy with the win but that doesn't excuse shifty coaching on D for almost the whole game or shifty play calling for 1.5 quarters in the 2nd half.

I also didn't disagree with the safety, only the execution. I rewatched the safety prior to posting. Mertz had 2 guys on his ass as he was running out of the end zone. No possibility of strip sack with the qb having the ball?? BS. Put ET or Pearsall back there. Better hands, faster, and used to contact with the ball in their hands. Why no holding on the play with only 8 seconds left?

You folks and our coaches are giddy over a 2 pt win over a 2 win SC team. Meanwhile Saban is ripping someone a new ass over not executing the VICTORY formation without a penalty in the waning seconds. You all think he is happy with a 3 pt win over Arkansas? He most likely feels almost as bad as had he lost. That's why Alabama has won a bunch of titles since he has been there. Saban wants perfection on every play regardless of score. That breeds a winning mentality.

I was watching the game with a bunch of Gamecocke fans and am happy with the win, but every coach on this staff will watch this film and point out mistakes in execution, play calling, personnel issues, etc, . If they dont, they are nuts.

This staff doesn't deserve a pass because of a 2 game win streak when the opponents are Vandy and USC. I still have nightmares about UK skull fng us and Utah making us look stupid with a 3rd string QB and a bunch of starters out hurt.

Go Gators!
There’s hot takes, there’s dumb takes, and then there’s whatever this is.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

Couldn't help myself, wanted to see this. The question and answer at 24:50...

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
LOVED how the place was rocking and went funeral home quiet in an instant when Pearsall caught that TD.

The play developed beautifully right in front of me, Mertz pump fake was beautiful.

Beamer is such a ****ing punk. Nice to cram it sideways down that big yapper of his and knock the smug smile off his face.
I’m glad you got to enjoy the game in person. Thought about that as the SC fans started streaming to tte exits.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
It’s amazing to me that given all of the questionable time management decisions we’ve made that anyone is complaining about the long kneel-outs and the safety. We should all be celebrating because that was about as good as you can do it.
I did complain about the running about on the kneel down plays. I know it takes a few more seconds off, but I don't like the risk of Mertz getting cheap shotted and/or unsportsman like conduct like at the end of the TN game or a fumble, etc (although that is a very minor concern). I understand the reason for it, I just don't care for the risk of losing Mertz or an Olineman for the next game.

My preference would have been to take the snap, take a few steps back and take the knee in plenty of time to avoid trouble, then take the safety on 4th down, even if there may have been a few more seconds after the free kick.

As for the safety, I gave it an aw shucks that he didn't keep running to the opposite sideline and kill the clock...it seemed possible at that point.

All of this is minor compared to how happy I was overall at the play calling, decision making and clock management to end the game. I have been very critical of all of those to date and this was clearly improved!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.