Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs South Carolina***

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Not sauced enough to see the right play was the safety. Geesh...you double, triple, quadrupled down on the dumb too. So you are either the one that is drunk, or you are just dumb. Dumb, not drunk, Dumb.
I told you exactly why that was not the right thing to do. All your response is trash. You are not looking at what I was saying. One shanked punt and we lose. Did that go over your head? Are you really an Engineer?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I told you exactly why that was not the right thing to do. All your response is trash. You are not looking at what I was saying. One shanked punt and we lose. Did that go over your head? Are you really an Engineer?
You think the odds of our punter shanking a free kick 15 yards are greater than the odds of something bad happening on a regular scrimmage punt against one of the best special teams coaches in the country? Should I even bother to mention that the free kick actually occurs farther down the field than the scrimmage punt, which takes place 10-15 yards behind the LOS? You are absolutely out of your ever loving mind. Hell before we even ran the play everyone here at my house was yelling to just take the safety The lottery sized odds for how the game would play out is exactly 100% how it DID play out. You boot the ball down into their end of the field so they can’t even do a Hail Mary if they fair catch it, so they are forced to try and reenact the Stanford band play. In the end we played the best odds and smartly executed our simple portion of the play so they had zero chance. Case closed.

Grumbler

Lifetime Member
Nov 24, 2017
This feels like an important win. Beat the life champions anointed as second best in the east? Check. Beat Vandy the way you're supposed to? Check. Win a shootout on the road when your defense didn't get off the plane? Check.

I feel better with Mertz making decisions back there than all but just a couple guys since Tebow. Another yard or so on the deep throw to Mizell and he might've pushed 500 yards.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Can he really be serious with this series of posts? My goodness. Enjoy a great comeback win, something I doubt anyone on this board believed would happen with 5 minutes left.
So true. I was happy about a lot at that point, and hoping we could pull it out. Here are the odds as it unfolded. 87% chance of losing with 5 minutes left, 83% around 9 minutes.

IMG_8465.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8463.jpeg
    IMG_8463.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 14

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let Tunaboat alone..... he has a right to his opinion and in theory he has some points... anything can happen.... In this case, we won... that's good enough for me..

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
No one saw us scoring 40+. No one saw us winning while throwing 48 times and hitting deep passes. (We ran for 120 if you ignore sacks and the purposeful yards yielded in the closing safety etc.) No one saw us winning the special teams battle.

We not only broke out of our road funk, Billy also broke every tendency he has established offensively. That’s very helpful.

Now we’ve got to tighten up that defense. Lots of missed tackles, lost edges and lost containment while pressuring the QB. But they’ll continue to improve.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can he really be serious with this series of posts? My goodness. Enjoy a great comeback win, something I doubt anyone on this board believed would happen with 5 minutes left.
Sheeeeeeit in the chatterbox I was taking notes of the posters who said I was crazy when I was saying this exact thing.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Tunaboat said:
OK, check this possibility. Out punter shanks it from the 20 out at the 35. No time off clock. SC kicks a FG from the 35 FOR THE WIN, because we took a GD safety. Understand?
Ok this sorta caught my eye. First let me say I like Tunaboat. Anything with fishing Im gonna like. I love tuna and boats, But you can make alcohol your bitccch or it can make you its bitcchhhhh. Finding darkness in a joyous win isnt the greatest look. Took the safety to keep it safe. in all my life I have never seen a shanked punt after a safety. Not saying it cant happen but like some other denizen of GC its what 99% of coaches would do. I still like Tunaguy. just enjoying my Sunday now. btw I saw an obit this morning. It makes Tuna talk seem normal, Here is part of it.

"Ron loved bowling, flea markets and most of all his Pepsi collection"

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not sauced enough to see the right play was the safety. Geesh...you double, triple, quadrupled down on the dumb too. So you are either the one that is drunk, or you are just dumb. Dumb, not drunk, Dumb.
Catching up on this thread. This has been a classic thread of posts, for sure.

1697370824904.gif

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
It was a great win a little bit of luck involved. End of the game was interesting but we took care of the ball and ran the clock out keeping them off the field for all but a few final seconds. Lot's of missed and weak tackles. AA needs to toughen the D up. Refs tried to give the game to the Cucks.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
From This thread i get this.

Safety was good call and bad call. I didn't like the execution. Mertz was the guy in the end zone. Should have been Pearsall. Better hands. Should have run more time off. Every player on O should have tackled their assigned player. Didnt see the kick after safety but you can place kick instead of punt so less chance of a shank. The safety is risky because I kept invisioning a strip sack and recovery for a td. The Crystal balls gets off the hook. Couldn't happen? UM thought the same last week and every fan of the game made fun of him for it. Risky! But worked.

Napiers play calling in the 3rd and 4th sucked balls sans the few minutes. We watched a 24-21 halftime lead go to 37-27 in a 1.5 quarters. We forget on a 4th and 10 we threw to the TE 12 yards in front of the sticks and he had to break a tackle and get a downfield block to get the 1st down! Otherwise! Gameover.

This was a 2-3 SC team that was bad on O and D. Their qb is good. Their RB is a D3 transfer from Newberry and was running over our LBs all night. We were in a 3 DL look a lot and got torched by Rattler due to no pressure. 3 big DTs got no rush.

Our OL is going to get Mertz killed. Kid is a fan baller and wears 15 proudly. Should be a rule if you wear 15 you better be a bad ass.Mertz is my favorite Gator followed by Pearsall with Smack and #3. #3 is the closest thing I have seen to Percy. Kid is electric. Enjoy him the next 2 seasons cause he will be in the league.

So the good? We got a win in a game where both teams were trying to give it away. Maybe BN is figuring out throwing deep will cause the completion % to drop but it causes the defense to play deep. 22 bodies within 15 yards of the ball creates tight windows and you have to be perfect.

We score 14 points in the last half of the 4th and needed every one of them. Smack will get paid at the next level. Mertz will make an NFL roster. I think we threw a lot because ET and Johnson are banged up. Kid delivered. Stoked we have Mertz for another year. Stoked we have #3, Boarding ham and the other TE. Sucks to lose Pearsall.

Maybe BN is growing but has a long way to go. This should have been a blowout but the mark of a good team is how well you play when you don't play your best. How good is your C or D game. The last half of the 4th qtr was an A÷ with extra credit points on top. The first 3.5 qtrs was a mix of D and C with the occasional B- pop quiz thrown in. SC played their tails off. Beamer is a great coach with a really good qb and rb with good receiver,, but little else.

The smart thing to do when you realize you playcalling sucks is to admit and make a change. We saw some of that tonight, but we are still running routes short of the LTG . But the road to recovery starts with the first step and let's hope tonight is the first step.

Better news is the Gators won a game where every indicator was we were going to lose, so kudos to the team. Willie B can be a hell of a place to play if the home team gets going.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Safety was good call and bad call. I didn't like the execution. Mertz was the guy in the end zone. Should have been Pearsall. Better hands. Should have run more time off. Every player on O should have tackled their assigned player. Didnt see the kick after safety but you can place kick instead of punt so less chance of a shank. The safety is risky because I kept invisioning a strip sack and recovery for a td. The Crystal balls gets off the hook. Couldn't happen? UM thought the same last week and every fan of the game made fun of him for it. Risky! But worked.
Boy, we really are overthinking this. Mertz took a snap and ran straight back and out of the end zone. There was zero chance of him getting caught and strip-sacked. There was nothing "risky" about it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
shaking the negative out of the tree of winning seems to be a sport. But even SOS had detractors.............and the guy that won most of our natties, well he is horrible to some............
J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator