Orange & Blue Spring Game Thread

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We only saw Franks for a half, but he had his moments. Also Had some miscues. More on that in a moment. Scarlet ran hard as usual, and appears to be the lead back. Looks like we have some guys on the D line primarily end , that will really help us. Clayton and Zuniga really stood out. The deep ball to Hammond on the opening drive was really a thing of beauty.

He also missed on I believe the very next play an open Hammond for and score , as well as Powell later on in the end zone. Crossing routes and that little stutter out and come back with the slant is a staple of Macs offense . Frank's needs to complete that one nine times out of 10, for us to move the football consistently . As for trask that was a bit of a disaster. Throwing in a triple coverage for an easy pic, and literally throwing it directly to Marcel on another play. Nearly resulting in a Garcia pick.

Looks like we have a play maker in toney. Loved seeing him
Take a shot and get backed up, after firing that touchdown pass. Looks like our biggest problems again Will come down to execution in the red zone. Toney can help us here. Biggest downer for me had to be Thompson putting it on the ground yet again, at this point he simply can't be trusted and a remotely competitive game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember some of you guys predicting another Meyer-led SEC title after the 2010 spring game. The wild overswings can go either way.

Two things I've learned about the spring game. It's never as bad as it looks or as good as it seems.

That ought to ensure another 8-4 meltdown. :lol:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
..a Leopard can't change it's spots.....neither can a guy just happy to be here.....purty kewl, though

Sure a leopard can change his spots. One time in a safari jeep, our guide pointed out Leopard juJangi to the left and on a limb 12 feet up, then after a right turn - there Leopard juJangi to the right on the ground peeking through two divided tree trunks,. Finally on the western path back to base, there juJangi eating a weasel up on an embankment. Three times that leopard changed spots. Boy, I tell you.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The D is going to be very good again. Should be a top 10 defense yet again.
Will Muschamp's four defensive recruiting classes at Florida included 31 blue-chip prospects (4- or 5-star recruits) and just 14 non blue-chippers. That 69 percent total of blue-chip defenders has helped produce five NFL Draft picks already, with several more slated to be taken in this year's draft.

The big question many Florida recruitniks have is whether that defensive success on the field will be sustainable with a considerable drop in talent; at least insofar as talent is measured by star ratings.

Jim McElwain's first three defensive classes?

Just 11 blue-chippers to 24 non blue-chippers, for a blue-chip percentage of 31 percent. New defensive coordinator Randy Shannon, by conventional wisdom then, will have a lot less to work with than his immediate predecessors.

Top ten defense? Give me some of what you are smoking...please.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Will Muschamp's four defensive recruiting classes at Florida included 31 blue-chip prospects (4- or 5-star recruits) and just 14 non blue-chippers. That 69 percent total of blue-chip defenders has helped produce five NFL Draft picks already, with several more slated to be taken in this year's draft.

The big question many Florida recruitniks have is whether that defensive success on the field will be sustainable with a considerable drop in talent; at least insofar as talent is measured by star ratings.

Jim McElwain's first three defensive classes?

Just 11 blue-chippers to 24 non blue-chippers, for a blue-chip percentage of 31 percent. New defensive coordinator Randy Shannon, by conventional wisdom then, will have a lot less to work with than his immediate predecessors.

Top ten defense? Give me some of what you are smoking...please.

Was the second class that just plain sucked ass. That's pretty much a lost class. I think if he has a really good class this year we will be balanced pretty well. We'll see. What do we have? Three kids in it so far?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
J, I'm talking about who is taking the field this year. Least talented defense in a long long time.

Top ten? I just don't think that's realistic.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not that worried about a significant drop off on d. I feel we have an all sec type guy at each level with Cece, Chauncey and yes Joseph . expect him to have a big year . I thought moon looked like a decent player last night that will grow into a solid player down the road. I feel better about the backers than I did before last night . The only questions are how many of the young bucks get in the mix on the back end, and if we can stay healthy at tackle .

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I'm off -:confused: but the passes short & longish travelled fast enough it was hard for me to visually track = seems good. I don't think Franks needs to slow it down, but our receivers need to "learn-train" to catch Franks; such will decrease the interceptors chances of holding on to those. I approve of using a super-strong arm to fire it. ('course, not talking on 3-5 yard swing passes.) Also, Franks was probly following orders but we saw none of Franks running ability-speed-elusiveness. I know the caveat on injuries, but past UT's & Arky's QBs rip off drive saving dashes frequently. (what if Tebow never ran for fear of hurting a shoulder, etc) It's college & part of the lifetime athleticism of the QB, usually the most athletic athlete out there.

For K.Toney, no redshirt, and Mac could gain by watching how Meyer used Harvin, surely there is something there Toney can do. IMO he's capable of breaking loose twice in each game -- not to mention the stumbly-bumbly positions,
both cross-legged physically & cross-eyed mentally he'll put the LBs & DBs in.

No, I'm not even hinting that things look bright either O or D from having stars but I'm hoping the teammates of all players amalgamate into a determined offense & stubborn defense that will conquer the East again & this time at least scare Saban and Vegas. Winning attitudes can grow from winning one game after another.

Now, over the summer, you heard Franks say he & WRs will practice. Naystayers reiterate that that's not against turn-styled on-rushing bigs. But, if timed seconds are counted & Franks delivery is ultra-quick, any rush won't be a factor. I know, still, our OL Coach and his "boys" are the prow prowess we need.

If we can't be the beast from the East, we'll be the "no surcease" from the East.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
After watching Toney, we might want to consider not red shirting him. I think he is the best QB we have and he isnt a QB.
He isnt redshirting. No one has even mentioned redshirting him.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
J, I'm talking about who is taking the field this year. Least talented defense in a long long time.

Top ten? I just don't think that's realistic.

Oh no. I agree. No way top 10.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I'm off -:confused: but the passes short & longish travelled fast enough it was hard for me to visually track = seems good. I don't think Franks needs to slow it down, but our receivers need to "learn-train" to catch Franks; such will decrease the interceptors chances of holding on to those. I approve of using a super-strong arm to fire it. ('course, not talking on 3-5 yard swing passes.) Also, Franks was probly following orders but we saw none of Franks running ability-speed-elusiveness. I know the caveat on injuries, but past UT's & Arky's QBs rip off drive saving dashes frequently. (what if Tebow never ran for fear of hurting a shoulder, etc) It's college & part of the lifetime athleticism of the QB, usually the most athletic athlete out there.

For K.Toney, no redshirt, and Mac could gain by watching how Meyer used Harvin, surely there is something there Toney can do. IMO he's capable of breaking loose twice in each game -- not to mention the stumbly-bumbly positions,
both cross-legged physically & cross-eyed mentally he'll put the LBs & DBs in.

No, I'm not even hinting that things look bright either O or D from having stars but I'm hoping the teammates of all players amalgamate into a determined offense & stubborn defense that will conquer the East again & this time at least scare Saban and Vegas. Winning attitudes can grow from winning one game after another.

Now, over the summer, you heard Franks say he & WRs will practice. Naystayers reiterate that that's not against turn-styled on-rushing bigs. But, if timed seconds are counted & Franks delivery is ultra-quick, any rush won't be a factor. I know, still, our OL Coach and his "boys" are the prow prowess we need.

If we can't be the beast from the East, we'll be the "no surcease" from the East.

When it's cold, do you have any clue what half of this stuff means?

Last edited:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
:I had an $8 can of Swamp Head the TD Terrace. Maybe I was a little less critical. I hate controlled scrimmages. Hopefully, behind their closed practices they go more man on man with the QBs..............SOS had an interesting inteview during the game. He said his games were more for fun and the Def. was not allowed to mix it up with coverage's and formations. He basically said when the Off catches up to the Def we will compete for championships...........

Lets hope the D doesn't meet the O halfway.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nussmeier is alleged to be a coordinator who can adapt to his talent. What sort of evidence is there to suggest he can adapt to an athlete with Toney's skillset?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.