OSU Saga: Meyer suspended for 3 games

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
The talking heads on espnu are starting to make claims that Urban should be fired after this report came out.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
When asked at this year's Big Ten Media Days, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said he was unaware of a 2015 domestic violence incident involving former Buckeyes wide receiver Zach Smith and his now ex-wife, Courtney. Specifically, Meyer told reporters at the event in Chicago that he was only informed of the situation right before his appearance.

"I got a text last night that something happened in 2015, and there was nothing," Meyer told reporters, adding, "I don't know who creates a story like that."

However, Brett McMurphy reported Wednesday -- through a string of interviews and text messages he uncovered -- that Meyer did know about the 2015 incident in which Smith was arrested for felonious assault and domestic violence of his then-wife.

McMurphy's entire report is obviously worth reading, but the pertinent information includes the following ...

• Courtney Smith's text messages with Meyer's wife, Shelley, who at one point during a 2015 exchange said, "I am with you! A lot of women stay hoping it will get better. I don't blame you! But just want u to be safe. Do you have a restraining order? He scares me." Courtney added that Shelley was a "frequent texter."
  • Courtney's communication with wives of other Ohio State assistants and staffers. McMurphy writes that those wives "and a number of Ohio State assistant coaches were aware of Smith's domestic violence issues." Speaking with McMurphy, Courtney said, "All the [coaches] wives knew. They all did. Every single one."
  • A change in the police report for the domestic violence incident on Oct. 26, 2015. Per the Powell Police report, a box was checked indicating Zach Smith had been arrested. However, in a revised report, the Powell Police that arrest box was no longer checked. The PPD told McMurphy "The terminology used by the Police Department was different in the original report (dated 10/26/2015) and inconsistent with what actually occurred."
  • Courtney telling McMurphy the following: "Zach once told me, if he ever got fired and this all comes out: 'I'll take everyone at Ohio State down with me.'"
Perhaps the most damning piece of information from McMurphy's report is an exchange between Courtney and Lindsey Voltolini in the weeks following the 2015 incident. Lindsey's husband Brian Voltolini is "considered one of Meyer's most loyal staff members," according to McMurphy.

Courtney: "[Zach's] trying to make me look crazy bc that's what Shelley is saying [he's doing]"
Lindsey: "[Urban] just said [Zach] denied everything"
Courtney: "I hope urban is smarter than that"
Lindsey: "[Urban] doesn't know what to think"
Courtney: "I don't really care. Ya know"
Lindsey: "Yeah, don't worry about urb"

Meyer said he was aware of a domestic violence incident involving Zach Smith in 2009 when the latter was an assistant at Florida. Meyer told reporters in Chicago, "As I do any time, and I imagine most coaches or people in leadership positions, when you receive a phone call, first thing you do is tell your boss. Let the experts do their jobs. We're certainly not going to investigate. It came back to me that what was reported wasn't what actually happened. So Shelley and I actually both got involved with the relationship with that family, and provided counseling, and wanted to help them moving forward." No charges were filed in that incident.

Smith was fired right before Big Ten Media Days and was replaced on an interim basis by former Buckeyes wideout Brian Hartline. Meyer said the decision was a "tough call" but added that "it was in the best interest of our team." He did not elaborate when asked if the media reports of Smith's past influenced the decision.

"I'm not going to get into that. A decision was made," Meyer said. "The details I'm obligated to give, I gave. The decision was made, it's time to move forward."

One of Meyer's core values is "treat women with respect."

With the latest report from McMurphy coming to light, the focus will now be squarely on Meyer to further explain what he did or did not know about Smith's string of domestic violence issues. As of yet, Ohio State has not commented publicly on the report.

Ben Kercheval
CBS Sports Writer
follow
Ben Kercheval joined CBS Sports in 2016 and has been covering college football since 2010. Before CBS, Ben worked at Bleacher Report, UPROXX Sports and NBC Sports. As a long-suffering North Texas graduate,... Full Bio

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Who is this Irving Meyers you speak of. Wasnt he the guy that left gator fans at the alter with lies and faux medical problems so he could take a year for "family" and then run to his REAL love, the Bucket Eyes ? We hated after we loved him. The lying cheaten whoreMAN.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
He’ll have some explaining to do, don’t see it costing him his job.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
  • Courtney telling McMurphy the following: "Zach once told me, if he ever got fired and this all comes out: 'I'll take everyone at Ohio State down with me.'"

Changed my mind about hiring Zack Smith back as an offensive QA!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The talking heads on espnu are starting to make claims that Urban should be fired after this report came out.
Ox in his Miata last seen on 75 North with it FLOORED (doing about 82mph). Urbs will need some hugs at least.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Real sticky area, because zero tolerance is required. Poor wife, hurts in all ways : emotional, lost dreams & hopes as well as fear, physical damage with pain. Sticky because the victim (wife) may vacillate on what she wants done.
Wife should marshal the cops & court to solve it with her. At the time, she may have put rescuing friends, co-workers "on hold", in limbo... then the brute attacks again. It's difficult to make decisions on someone else's marriage.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure if he does gets fired he will end up at his other other dream job of Notre Dame in a year or two.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Ox in his Miata last seen on 75 North with it FLOORED (doing about 82mph). Urbs will need some hugs at least.

Reports are there's a Mr. Rogers looking fella driving erratically on 75 northbound jamming out to Sarah Mclachan's "I will remember you".

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
EXCLUSIVE: Longtime Urban Meyer assistant Zach Smith's ex-wife, Courtney Smith, opens up about reported domestic violence and what she believes Meyer knew. Stadium on Twitter

Video at link.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Changed my mind about hiring Zack Smith back as an offensive QA!

Hell, we can hire Smith AND Urban! :D

All kidding aside, if he gets fired it will be one of the biggest falls from grace ever.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, we can hire Smith AND Urban! :D

All kidding aside, if he gets fired it will be one of the biggest falls from grace ever.
They arent firing him in Crack-bus unless there is video of Urban helping Zack Smith beat that woman.

The danger is Zack Smith knowing where the bodies are buried, not his wife.

Think chess, not checkers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.