OSU Saga: Meyer suspended for 3 games

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well she finally go him fired. Now what?

Now what? Her alimony and child support checks just got cut significantly.

I think this is a very valid point. People (especially woman) can be vindictive. And a scorned woman is a dangerous thing. I imagine she was getting well over $100K/year in tax free income w/ his $500K salary (I had a buddy that had 3 kids, was married for 11 years....he was a medical device sales rep making around $300K, and between child support and alimony he was paying her $8500/month, which is just over $100K/year). If this woman was willing to take that sort of financial hit she ain't lying or being vindictive. She's telling the truth and is/was pissed off that he was walking around - still f'ing w/ her - w/ no consequences.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alimony is taxable.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Just for argument's sake, let's say that OSU did it by the book. Shelley reports it to Urban, Urban reports it to the AD, AD investigates, gets the police report, police do not arrest him so no cause for action. Assigns him some counseling through the Employee Assistance Program. Had a good progress report and all, the police found nothing when she called them again and again and they investigated. Then he violated the no contact protection order and OSU fires him. So far, so good, right? No liability.
What is the point of this? If OSU followed proper protocol, then why did they put Urban on paid admin leave? Why did OSU establish an investigative team to look into the matter? If proper protocol was followed, there would be an obvious paper trail and all involved would know that they did what was necessary to address the allegations of domestic abuse. This should be easily proven without all of the theatrics.

OSU in this position because it's clear they did not follow protocol and there were numerous fuk ups along the way. Meyer's buyout is $38 mil so the only thing OSU needs to understand is what they are on the hook for if they can him. If they can fire without paying or there is a significant reduction in his buyout, Meyer is gone.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Winning will get a you a big fat contract and the benefit of doubt. Mac was out on an island when he lied to the media.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
So Meyer knew, the AD knew, the wives and most likely their husbands knew, and yet he was kept on staff until the trespassing incident? Is that about right? So if every-fcking-body knew, why was he still employed?

Still a very ugly position for OSU.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seeing speculation that Ohio State turns to Matt Campbell if Meyer is let go.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So Meyer knew, the AD knew, the wives and most likely their husbands knew, and yet he was kept on staff until the trespassing incident? Is that about right? So if every-fcking-body knew, why was he still employed?

Again, he denies beating her. How do you deal with that aspect?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

You saw Meyer's comment. Did you hit her? If you did, you're gone. Based on Smith's denial, his relationship with Meyer and the absence of a formal charge, Meyer convinced Gene Smith no action was acceptable action and everyone figured it would all fade away. It didn't.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Seeing speculation that Ohio State turns to Matt Campbell if Meyer is let go.

Campbell was the current college coach I most wanted for UF if we went with a current college coach, however I know he had a huge buyout, which we were not going to pay. also there was the thought of his youth, etc. Well I saw enough of him coaching a below average ISU team to see that guy is a hands on, attention to detail kind of coach. I look forward to him getting a chance to take that approach to a team that has high level talent.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Based on Smith's denial, his relationship with Meyer and the absence of a formal charge, Meyer convinced Gene Smith no action was acceptable action and everyone figured it would all fade away.
How the eff do you know that? Was it reported somewhere?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How the eff do you know that? Was it reported somewhere?
The key point to all of it is Meyer insisting he followed protocal after dodging the truth. If he had nothing to hide, why try hiding? It STRONGLY points to there having been a questionable interpretation of the gray area ethics. I'm simply attempting to fill in the blanks.

MADGator

Jan 28, 2015
Again, he denies beating her. How do you deal with that aspect?

No, I see your point, and I guess Urbs decided to roll the dice as his way of dealing with it. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. He heard what he wanted to hear and washed his hands of it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's exactly what happened. Urban rolled the dice and got called on it. He figured it was worth the risk because, push come to shove, he could survive it.

Meyer sees himself himself as a shining knight to so many of these kids. He ends up sticking his neck out recklessly.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
He denied beating her. Forcibly restraining, choking, stalking might not be included in his definition. Semantics, the truth, or a lying pos could be at play here

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Like choking somehow escapes the definition of beating. You didn't actually punch her? Okay, you get a pass.

I guarantee this is being bandied about by the OSU committee.

leogator

May 5, 2018
From the messages yesterday, it seems that he cheated on her repeatedly and then denied it. I wonder who would get mad and get physical. My guess would be the aggrieved party but of course I could be wrong.

MADGator

Jan 28, 2015
The key point to all of it is Meyer insisting he followed protocal after dodging the truth. If he had nothing to hide, why try hiding? It STRONGLY points to there having been a questionable interpretation of the gray area ethics. I'm simply attempting to fill in the blanks.

Exactly, and add to it that this has been a known issue since Gainesville and yet the coach who is so strong on respecting women just kept the guy on staff. I would think alarm bells would go off but I guess not.
It’s humorous, two journalists in Florida said he was the most disingenuous coach they had ever covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator