Patrick Surtain to UF rumor

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Marianna-FL_Gator, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Marianna-FL_Gator

Oxbucks:
    $329
    Ratings:
    +6,300 / -43
    There's some smoke out there that he could be our next DB coach. Also hearing if he does get the job he'll bring his son and Tyson Campbell with him. He and the Campbell faimily are extremely close so they want their son at UF if this happens.

2. BMF

BMF Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $512
    Ratings:
    +5,923 / -74
    Yuge!

(Someone post the Trump gif)

3. NVGator

NVGator Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $366
    Ratings:
    +4,186 / -92
  4. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $46
    Ratings:
    +277 / -21
    This would be the best news for the Gators in a long time. Tyson Campbell and Surtain Jr. both have really good size and both could come in and play or start right away. Hopefully we can also land DE Andrew Chatfield. All American Heritage kids.

5. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $526
    Ratings:
    +639 / -43
    Soooo...do we care if he's actually a good CB coach or are we just doing like the last guy and hiring unqualified people to pick up the recruiting slack for other coaches?

6. heversle

heversle Baba Booey Tata Toothy
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $67
    Ratings:
    +592 / -11
    Change your username to Mr. Buzkill, man. This would be great for recruiting reasons and coaching reasons. The dude must know a thing or two about coaching DBs if he has developed two of his kids into 5 star cornerbacks. He was also a very good NFL corner. It's at least worth a shot.

7. oxking

oxking Pops
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $30
    Ratings:
    +954 / -10
    Agreed, even if the guy is mediocre as a coach, great talent "covers a multitude of sins."

8. 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $407
    Ratings:
    +443 / -3
    He's a three time Pro Bowler and he is currently coaching the 1st and 3rd ranked CBs in this class. Some of that you can chalk up to SFla talent, but he's obviously getting the best out of it at least to the recruiting services eyes.

9. CaribGator

CaribGator Armageddon will end this misery
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +891 / -7
    DBU will be back!!

but isn't there some rule about hiring family of recruits

Need all the 4* and 5* players we can get, we have a serious talent gap against not just our rivals, but the teams in the hunt for the playoffs, Need talent too, coaching can only get them so far.

10. lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $125
    Ratings:
    +190 / -3
    Mr. Surtain can already afford a fleet of Escalades - without any outside "help." Hence - no apparent Bama involvement.

11. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $799
    Ratings:
    +8,530 / -54
    I don’t think so. I’ve seen it happen relatively consistently.

12. alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $394
    Ratings:
    +6,340 / -207
    He's been said to be ready to jump into the college ranks for a couple years now. Not sure if he's talented enough as a coach, but he's had success at American Heritage and with the DBs there. Not sure what influence Wilson's dad has on the DB play vs. Surtain.

On the radio, they said there was a new rule in April that would affect QC staff with students past and future of a coach. So if a player in the past couple years is at the school, you cannot hire the coach or if you hire the coach you cannot recruit players for X number of years. However, it appears if you are on the actual coaching staff, the rule does not apply.

13. williston_gator

williston_gator Twitter junkie

Oxbucks:
    $590
    Ratings:
    +3,249 / -23
    Not only have I heard him, but I'm seeing whispers of possibly Tim Brewster for TEs and maybe Dameyune Craig as QBs......and apparently Zook is interested in coming back to warmer weather and even put out feelers last year to maybe come here for ST. Not sure on Knox.

14. Durfish

Durfish Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $329
    Ratings:
    +327 / -7
    That rule makes sense. If you're hiring a "recruiting hired gun" they'll count against your on-field staff, not the bazillion (see Bama) QC staffers who have no limit.

15. ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
    $303
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / -149
    Interesting development, but did we not have a very good coach on the previous staff as well?

16. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $799
    Ratings:
    +8,530 / -54
    That makes sense to me. Basically because you can abuse the QC hiring. But you are limited on coaching hire slots and it affects the actual coaching of your players.

17. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $799
    Ratings:
    +8,530 / -54
    For DB? No.

18. kepler

kepler Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $116
    Ratings:
    +373 / -6
    I hope this happens. Surtain is dialed in to South Florida big-time. It's gonna bet very tough recruiting down there with Richt and Taggart relying heavily on the area.

19. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $526
    Ratings:
    +639 / -43
    Man I really wish Gator fans could have real conversations. He developes 2 kids (one oif which is his son) and that makes him worthy of the DB coach spot (why don't you give him an off-field spot to start) at the University of Florida.

20. Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $204
    Ratings:
    +842 / -72
    I believe in OJT. Surtain played at my other school. I would take him if he didn't bring the recruits with him.

Edit: the on the job training I referred to was in the NFL.