Patrick Surtain to UF rumor

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Marianna-FL_Gator, Dec 7, 2017.

1. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $794
    Ratings:
    +8,525 / -54
    See the earlier posts. If we do that, we cannot recruit American Heritage for four years.

2. Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $185
    Ratings:
    +820 / -72
    Is what he's done at American Heritage less than what a graduate assistant would have done and learned?

3. 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $404
    Ratings:
    +440 / -3
    Because we can't recruit kids from a great school for four years if we do that. I know that being a player doesn't always translate into being a coach, but he's done the job he's trying to teach at the highest level it can be done. I'm willing to give him a shot. I'd like to get both him and Buckley with one taking corners and the other safeties.

4. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    Being a pro-bowler will be good for recruiting, but it means nothing to say he's a better coach then basically every other prospect that will have D1 experience. I also get that he has two good kids. I also assume one has been coached for b the spot since he could walk and assume Griffith was a stud before since he was probably recruited there.

How will he like the crazy hours? Will there be an issue with a coach having a son on the team? How will he like being on the road so much? How will he do with the other staff? All questions that no one coups know bc he has zero experience. If he's the guy then we'll see, but I also think it shows what Gator fans have become (and forgotten) that we think of a DB coach as just as a recruiter.

5. MotownGator

MotownGator Newbie

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +428 / -15
    How many vacancies do we have? Is anyone on the present list being let go? I thought you could only have 10 coaches max.

6. williston_gator

williston_gator Twitter junkie

Oxbucks:
    $577
    Ratings:
    +3,236 / -23
    We'll cross Craig off the list.

@BruceFeldmanCFB: I'm hearing that Dameyune Craig, who played QB for Jimbo Fisher at Auburn is expected to follow his old coach to #TAMU as offensive assistant, probably coaching WRs. Ex #Miami OC James Coley, now at #UGA, is expected to end up as #TAMU's OC, working with Jimbo again.

7. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    I hadnt seen the issue of not recruiting AH so that changes things.

It definitely can be done. It also has a way higher likelihood of failure than hiring one of the many guys with experience playing and coaching D1 football.

8. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $794
    Ratings:
    +8,525 / -54
    I think only 2 Assistant Coaching positions have been filled so far.

Edit: 3 positions. Hevesy, Gonzalez, Grantham.

9. 5-Star Finger

Oxbucks:
    $404
    Ratings:
    +440 / -3
    Buckley is proven in my opinion and is 1a. You could give him the title and Buckley the power with Sustain acting as his assistant in the secondary. This gives him space for OJT at this level.

10. williston_gator

williston_gator Twitter junkie

Oxbucks:
    $577
    Ratings:
    +3,236 / -23
    Guys that rule only applies in a non coaching/assistant role. If he's an on field coach it doesn't matter.

11. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $794
    Ratings:
    +8,525 / -54
    Is Buckley that good? I don’t know. He just doesn’t stand out for me. But maybe I’m wrong.

Assuming that we keep Davis, Seider, and Skipper we will have 6 assistant coaches. If we luck out and get Brewster that leaves 3 slots.

That would be seven mega recruiters.

12. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    Yes And it's not remotely close. One is a HC of a highschool. Running 5 plays and spending 15 minutes a practice on man technique. The other is a D1 position coach. He'd start the week looking at the film breakdowns and them watch some film himself to see the rubs, option routes, etc. He'd also want to know things like if their WRs dropped their hands on cuts, how soon they got their hands up before catches, etc, bc that could dictate position drills. Them he would watch film with his position group and have to show them a lot, but also not too much that they miss the important stuff. That's why every good position coach didn't play in the NFL; he can't teach them everything he sees anyway.

So yes, a grad assistant would have been the one breaking down film and then watching a great coach like Torrian Grey in meetings.

#32 ltraz, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. 5-Star Finger

Oxbucks:
    $404
    Ratings:
    +440 / -3
    I think he's done well with what he has had to work with.

14. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    He's older now, but probably still a stud recruiter. I also think it'd be nice to have a coach that other schools wouldn't try hard to poach. Just a good guy too.

15. 5-Star Finger

Oxbucks:
    $404
    Ratings:
    +440 / -3
    I'd love for Zook to get some redemption. We only get 10 assistants. Do you think we keep Davis and Skipper after NSD, or are they just here to keep the class together?

16. Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $185
    Ratings:
    +820 / -72
    I appreciate your long, factual answer. Your knowledge makes your posts important. I do think that what he learned in the NFL together with what he has demonstrated he can teach in Wison, Jr, and Campbell bodes well for his productivity as a dB coach. Marco came in and played well immediately. A good bit of that should go to his house h s coaching.

17. alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $364
    Ratings:
    +6,308 / -206
    You can’t take Surtain as a QC. We just recruited AH kids last cycle. If he comes to UF it’d have to be as an on field coach.

As for breaking down film, i’m not sure you become a pro bowler without copious amounts of time in the film room. Also, Neal Anderson broke down film for his kid’s 12/under team. Surtain is at a powerhouse HS program, so i’m pretty sure he’s familiar with film study and that he’s been around coaches...probably more than a GA.

Is he the right fit? Not my call. Does he want to be a college coach? Who knows, Neal Anderson didn’t want to coach college ball. I was pretty happy hearing we could get Buckley. I’d be happy with Surtain if he was a fit. He can’t be any worse than Bell.

18. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    I really have no idea. We don't even understand how he's going to structure it. Especially with the addition of Knox even though we don't understand how he fits as a position coach. Personally, I'd probably keep them both, but that's largely bc I think they fit in easy coaching roles (ILB and center/guards). See if they grow and become good young coaches, but at the very least you have solid recruiters and don't lose much on the field. That lets you focus on the coaching atributes of guys for the OLB and OT/TE spots, which I think are harder and more important spots. Davis especially, bc this oline class is super important.

19. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    True. I'd really have to know how much of that was him and how much was poppa Wilson. I'm not saying he's a bad hire, bc I don't know near enough about the situation. The NFL situation is weird, bc he really could have an issue of simplifying things even though his hs experience and him have a son makes me think that wouldn't be an issue. My initial comment was just saying that things are backwards if we're getting super excited to hand the reins of DBU over to a guy and all we care about is if he can recruit. Being the University of Florida and playing a man-heavy, attacking scheme will handle that anyway. I want a tactician like Torrian Grey...that wants to be here and recruit. Surtain might be that guy for all I know.

20. Woodroe

Woodroe Sir Knowitall

Oxbucks:
    $75
    Ratings:
    +70 / -3
    GET YOUR HANDS UP BEFORE THAT BIG PICKLE HITS YOU IN THE LIPS!!!!