Poll: What should happen with this game?

Poll: What should happen with this game?

• Play the game during our common bye week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play the game after SEC championship game (if possible)

• Don't play the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think you play it. I'm not sure Idaho wants to fly 2200 miles again for it. I would rather have the bye week

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n38923 said:
Just think Idaho should have to play the game to get the check. But if not they basically flew cross country to take our $$$ for not playing. Cover the expesnes sure but that's why I think it should be played.

Don't know if this is true, I read it on GC( I think) , but supposedly Foley and the Idaho AD are in discussions about the game, including if they don't play the game, Idaho only being repaid for their expenses.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we play it just so we can have another game to watch. And having a tune up game before uga may not be a bad thing.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
granitegator;n38999 said:
right now we are scheduled for bye weeks...9/27...between Bama and Tenn...and 10/25 Mizzou and Georgia

Yes I know that, but this is an unusual year because there's an extra week in the season. More often than not we just get one off week per year anyway, so losing this off week is whatever. Besides, yesterday might as well have been an off day.

granitegator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n39021 said:
Yes I know that, but this is an unusual year because there's an extra week in the season. More often than not we just get one off week per year anyway, so losing this off week is whatever. Besides, yesterday might as well have been an off day.
youre right...usually when we start in august is when there is 2 byes

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It really don't understand why they can't play the game today or on Monday. I doesn't make any sense to me. It's a freaking holiday weekend! :angry:

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
granitegator said:
the problem with playing the bye week before Georgia is that will have us playing 9 weeks in a row...10 if we make the sec championship games...that will give no tiime to heal any nagging injuries
Yes, it will give the players 9 games in a row, although you can discount Eastern Ky the week before the Criminoles. Still, these guys aren't NFL players, and, no matter how much we might smirk at the "student-athlete" title given to them, they DO have other responsibilities than NFL players have.

My take on it is that there is more risk than reward. While we can presume that most of the starters would be sitting in the 2nd half of a make-up game on 10/25, what if one gets hurt in the first half, in a game that didn't need to be played?

And for those who might think that we "need" the game to make it to be bowl-eligible, well, if that's the case, we might as well walk Muschamp off the plank right now.

I would be amiss if I didn't add in all of the financial considerations. Do we still owe Idaho nearly $1M ($975K)? Can we renegotiate that? If we do play them on 10/25, will they play it for the same amount, or maybe a reduced amount? What about hotels in Gainesville? Sure, there isn't a game that weekend right now, so you'd think that rooms are available. But if I'm not mistaken, UF usually holds Parents Weekend (esp for freshman students) that weekend in October when there is no game. If it IS that weekend, what happens to that? So Foley has a LOT of things to consider before making his decision.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n38986 said:
Don't we usually only have one off week per season anyway?

Yes, we have two this year, week between Tide and Vols, and the week in question, between Mizzou and UGA. When you look at the current "new" schedule, we basically play three games and then have a bye (instead of four), then Vols (away) and LSU and Mizzou at home before the bye in question.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n39104 said:
It really don't understand why they can't play the game today or on Monday. I doesn't make any sense to me. It's a freaking holiday weekend! :angry:
Probably because the Vandals already flew home. But seriously, if you think that field is in any kind of shape to play on today, or even tomorrow, after THAT deluge, well, I doubt it. Playing on it today or tomorrow might have ruined it for next week.

I don't think playing it today or tomorrow was EVER considered by either school or the SEC (and maybe the Sun Belt, which is Idaho's conference).

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n39104 said:
Staffing issues may be a reason. Then there's travel plans for Idaho. And hotel rooms for teams/fans/etc. There's a lot that goes into putting on a football game. Making a snap decision is usually not a good thing. But who am I kidding...thinking rationally isn't going to happen here.

I just don't understand why people are so damn angry. Sure it sucks that the weather was flat out f*cking awful...but damn, we'll play next week. Let the anger go...it's not healthy!

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I say play on October 25. Bye weeks can hurt as much as help.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've heard a few mention that we could play it on Thursday the 23rd. That way, we get the game in and still get a few extra days to prep for UGA. That's maybe not the best scenario for the fans but with nearly two months to prepare, the fans can adjust their schedules. I sorta like the idea.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC said:
I've heard a few mention that we could play it on Thursday the 23rd. That way, we get the game in and still get a few extra days to prep for UGA. That's maybe not the best scenario for the fans but with nearly two months to prepare, the fans can adjust their schedules. I sorta like the idea.
*thursday, October 23rd.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One thing that needs to happen as a result of this, the NCAA and/or SEC should allow for the possibility that cancelations can happen and games should be played the next possible day. To me, it's no different than a NASCAR race or PGA golf tournament getting rained out. Do it the next sunshiny day. Charter a different plane for the visiting team, tell the stadium workers in advance of getting hired that they may have to work on Sunday if Saturday gets canceled. I know it's rare, but yesterday was a travesty and should never happen again.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
I just honestly see no reason to play. Our goal is to win the SEC, and beating Idaho doesn't help us reach that goal.

granitegator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC said:
actually, thats not a bad idea...both teams are home on the 18th...so neither wouldn't have to travel back home then get ready for Gainesville on thursday

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This Sunday/Monday the Swamp field will be in no condition to play a decent game on and it would be torn up into
ruin by play .
Get ready to play next week. Let ground-crew "treat" the mushy field to accommodate next Saturday's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator