Presser - Mac is embarrassed and pissed

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I were a Gator beat writer, I'd definitely show up to the next presser taped up and ready to go.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As to the tirade on KT, I definitely understand being leery of overdoing that sort of thing after the last guy, but there is a big difference between yelling at a guy for dropping a pass and yelling at a guy for throat slashing to the camera.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@GatorsScott: “We weren’t as focused as we should have been.’’ — DB Brian Poole

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Bernardo de la Paz;n277771 said:
As to the tirade on KT, I definitely understand being leery of overdoing that sort of thing after the last guy, but there is a big difference between yelling at a guy for dropping a pass and yelling at a guy for throat slashing to the camera.

precisely.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n277741 said:
Mehh it was week 2 into a total rebuild job. I think the kids needed it. Mac knows what he's doing.

As for the Qbs, we have one who has more upside but is still very green and a bit careless w turnovers. I think Mac knows more about coaching Qbs than everyone on every internet forum combined. All reasonable people knew there would be major bumps in the road this year more to come.

We were embarrassed but left w a win. Many of these bumps will be embarassing LOSSES. Tonight was good enough for govt work.

After a couple of hours to step back from the ledge and regain some perspective, Law's post nails it. Like many, I put too much into last week's beatdown of a truly horrible team.

I was also taken by a player's tweet that this past week they fell back into old habits - or words to that effect. It really shows the depth of the rot that grew under the previous doosh.

I come away from tonight as optimistic as ever - but certainly more grounded in reality. Mac is the guy to lead us out of the wilderness, but given the stinkload he walked in to, it is going to take time. I lost some perspective based on last week's game. '78's stock market analogy is spot-on and timely. Gonna be lots of ups and downs this year. But I believe the worst is behind us and Mac will be hoisting lots of trophies before he's finished here.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n277728 said:
Do you think our fans will tolerate losing a few extra games this year while we're planning for the future? I certainly don't, after I see all of you second guessing the man in week 2.

Yes. If I can do it then everyone can. Let Grier learn from his mistakes. Hell, let Treon...IMHO, Grier is THE guy. But pick one. This back and forth crap is a joke.

FYI, powerhouse Georgia State had almost 600 yards of offense on New Mexico Crap State.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A win is a win, even if it was a sloppy one. Even Spurrier and Meyer had bad wins. This was the kind of game we lost under the previous regime. Give it time, no one here expects us to go 12-0 this year, lot of work to do to rid this team of the Muschamp virus.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ECU has a "tradition" of being a solid offensive team, especially in the passing attack. ECU has given "better" college
teams defeats or scares. To truly evaluate we'll have to see how ECU performs against other teams and, of course, how
our Gators advance.

It sure looks like we need to improve (1) on the defensive pass rush (2) on defensive back coverage, (3) on run
blocking, (4) on avoiding penalties, (5) in FG kicking. So "whole-team" performance. Luckily, we have an HC who
can do this about the fastest.

:cry2:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well first of all this could have easily been a game we would've lost last year. I haven't seen the presser yet but will check it out. He has every right to pissed and I'm glad that he is. He busts their butts for doing stupid things rather than making a bad play. There is a difference. I'd hate to be those guys this week. Mac is gonna break it off. If he is that mad in public, whoa, what will it be like in that Locker Room.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n277704 said:
My point on it was that Grier was moving the offense well and we stalled when he was pulled in the 2nd qtr. I think that threw off the whole game.

Problem is that Grier threw one pass into the ground and two passes that should have been pics in his last series. I think THAT is why we saw treon go in. We really dodged a bullet late in the game with a couple of of those passes.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n277810 said:
Problem is that Grier threw one pass into the ground and two passes that should have been pics in his last series. I think THAT is why we saw treon go in. We really dodged a bullet late in the game with a couple of of those passes.

I think that was why also. Grier also could have easily been picked before that TD.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n277810 said:

Quite correct, both QB's and the culture of the team took several steps back. Grier made poor throws and some very bad mistakes trying to throw into places he should not. He missed options that were better.

What is worse is how many on the team failed to learn, especially some leadership that made selfish and destructive choices. Missed opportunities, fumbles, and some poor luck kept us from scoring more and giving up less points.

This game should have been a very easy victory for us, but we turned it into a competition with many mistakes.

Oline as expected is still a weakness.

It will be interesting to see what coach has to say tomorrow. Lots of improvements to be made. We are no way ready for SEC play, yet!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched, DAYUM, he's pissed. Almost looked as if he could barely contain himself. If I were Zach I would not sit anywhere near the front. Heck, I might not even attend, just Skype in. I think its a simple message he's trying to send. That junk ain't gonna fly with him. Do you want to be a Muschamp or a Winner?

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n277815 said:
Quite correct, both QB's and the culture of the team took several steps back. Grier made poor throws and some very bad mistakes trying to throw into places he should not. He missed options that were better.

What is worse is how many on the team failed to learn, especially some leadership that made selfish and destructive choices. Missed opportunities, fumbles, and some poor luck kept us from scoring more and giving up less points.

This game should have been a very easy victory for us, but we turned it into a competition with many mistakes.

Oline as expected is still a weakness.

It will be interesting to see what coach has to say tomorrow. Lots of improvements to be made. We are no way ready for SEC play, yet!

several steps back? don't make a mountain out of a molehill... it was a sloppy game... Mac will put it behind them, teach from the mistakes and move forward...

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Greir seems to have that Brett Favre and Jay Cutler mentality of thinking he can make any throw. Sometimes it's beautiful and sometimes it gives you a heart attack. He needs to learn to lean to control that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I liked his answer about going on 4th down saying we couldn't do anything else but miss FGs. :lol:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n277819 said:
several steps back? don't make a mountain out of a molehill... it was a sloppy game... Mac will put it behind them, teach from the mistakes and move forward...

Well yes several steps back:

Both QB's regressed missing open opportunities and making poor decisions (mostly Will)

Several individuals made very selfish decisions that resulted in penalities. Especially an experienced leader on the offense.

Punt return team showed no improvement, almost no chance for a return and potential block messed up.

Now I agree that Mac will teach the mistakes, but culture changes more slowly and apparently some still have not gotten the message especially those who we should expect to be leaders.

This is a game we should have easily won, but the issues make it a possible upset. You have to win these games easily, eventually I expect Mac to get there, not yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator