Pulling Freshman QBs Redshirt Bad Decision

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Pretty good read here on pulling the redshirt off the freshman (which will have to be done if AA gets hurt):

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-and-feleipe-franks-should-not-play-this-year

Florida Gators true freshmen QBs Kyle Trask and Feleipe Franks should not play this year

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — I’ve lauded Jim McElwain for his in-game strategy.

I’ve been thrilled with his willingness to attempt to convert fourth downs to prolong drives in enemy territory. I admire these decisions not because it is a risk. I admire it because he has put thought into the decision-making process. He understands that statistically, being aggressive on fourth down is the right thing to do. He is comfortable that he has made the right decision, irrespective of the result.

The result of Florida’s game against Arkansas on Saturday was an embarrassment. But the decision-making process, both in the game-plan preparation and the discussion afterward, was an embarrassment as well.

In Friday’s preview, I expressed concern that Gators QB Luke Del Rio would be making his first start on the road. After two early drops by his receivers cost Florida a pick-6 and a third-down conversion, Del Rio looked like a true freshman. It became clear by the end of the first quarter — and definitely by the half — that Del Rio was overmatched.

With the Gators marching to tie the game at 14, Del Rio threw a backbreaking interception to Arkansas free safety Josh Liddell. Just prior to the snap, the strong safety crept up 5 yards, a dead giveaway that the free safety is going to be playing center field — right where Del Rio was trying to throw the ball.

This is a true freshman mistake, and it’s one that you might be able to justify for someone with Del Rio’s lack of on-field experience. Except he made the exact same mistake twice against Missouri two weeks ago, predetermining his throw to the middle of the field despite the pre-snap read.

McElwain likes to say he tells his players to be proud of what they put on film. Well, Del Rio keeps putting the same mistakes on film week after week. He kept holding the ball and double clutching so much that I wondered whether the receivers were being blanketed by Arkansas. But reporters in the press booth were adamant that there were open receivers. Del Rio just wasn’t able to get them the ball.

Maybe you can't see it on the broadcast but receivers are open https://t.co/2NltdIf8Ia

— Nick de la Torre (@NickdelaTorreGC) November 5, 2016

After the game, McElwain started talking about how it isn’t too late to use either of his true freshmen QBs, Kyle Trask or Feleipe Franks. He’s wrong. Even worse, this shows a poor process for making decisions.

Right after the Florida game, I watched Alabama true freshman Jalen Hurts lead the Crimson Tide to a road win at LSU (Rivals had Hurts ranked as the 231st overall recruit; Franks ranked 57th). It wasn’t pretty and it wasn’t his best work. But his ability to perform in that game is directly correlated to the experience he got against cupcakes such as Western Kentucky and Kent State.

Nick Saban saw that his more-experienced QBs were limited and took a calculated risk by giving Hurts a chance early in the season. Hurts ran with the opportunity and now is in the conversation for the Heisman Trophy.

In contrast to his mentor, McElwain let Will Grier walk (I’m OK with that). Then he brought in graduate transfer Austin Appleby, whose track record clearly indicated that he was a backup at best (not OK). Finally, he hasn’t played Trask or Franks.

And now he’s going to consider throwing them into the fire? On an emotional senior day against Will Muschamp, who recruited those seniors? Or he’s going to put them in on the road against LSU or Florida State?

Burning a redshirt on a true freshman with less than 30 percent of the season left is indicative of a poor decision-making process. If the freshmen were going to be an option eight games into the season, there should have been a plan for them to play against UMass, Kentucky or North Texas.

But that plan clearly hasn’t been in place. Which means that if we see either of the true freshmen at QB, McElwain is violating one of the key tenants that Saban teaches. You have a decision-making process and you trust that long-term, the results will follow.

So, what should the coaching staff do about this dumpster fire of an offense? I think the coaches need to go with Appleby.

You can’t continue to make the same mistakes over and over and have zero consequences for it. It sends the wrong message to the rest of the team.

But irrespective of the QB, the Gators need to run the freaking ball. Against Arkansas, Jordan Scarlett got 5 carries, by far his fewest of the season. This wasn’t because Florida was behind. They clearly went into the game with a plan to throw the ball. This is really confusing, since Arkansas gave up more than 500 yards rushing to Auburn just two weeks ago.

And yes, the immediate pick-6 did put Florida behind early. But the Gators were within 14 points until halfway through the fourth quarter. The Gators offense held possession for 22 plays in the first half, and 14 of them were called pass plays. Florida ran just three times in the entire second half.

The staff can talk about how it is disappointed in the effort all it wants. When you’re one-dimensional on offense, you’re going to struggle. The play-calling was so skewed toward the passing game from the start, the offense couldn’t exploit an Arkansas weakness.

Del Rio wasn’t any good. The defense struggled to get off the field. The injuries mounted.

But if you’re supposed to be proud of what you put on film, the coaching staff should be embarrassed.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
But irrespective of the QB, the Gators need to run the freaking ball. Against Arkansas, Jordan Scarlett got 5 carries, by far his fewest of the season. This wasn’t because Florida was behind. They clearly went into the game with a plan to throw the ball. This is really confusing, since Arkansas gave up more than 500 yards rushing to Auburn just two weeks ago.

And yes, the immediate pick-6 did put Florida behind early. But the Gators were within 14 points until halfway through the fourth quarter. The Gators offense held possession for 22 plays in the first half, and 14 of them were called pass plays. Florida ran just three times in the entire second half.

The staff can talk about how it is disappointed in the effort all it wants. When you’re one-dimensional on offense, you’re going to struggle. The play-calling was so skewed toward the passing game from the start, the offense couldn’t exploit an Arkansas weakness.

This kills me. A game plan focused on the pass, against a team known for being weak against the run.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dumb article. How do you write that AA is nothing but a back-up, and you can't start a Freshman (when behind AA that's all you have, is Freshmen) in the same article make any sense at all? Dude is clueless. Your stater is injured, possibly for the rest of the season, and your back-up has never been good enough for anything more than being a back-up. He's also a graduate transfer who's football career is over once this season is done. He isn't the future. He isn't winning any games that require a game changing QB. It's time to see if we have a game changing QB on the roster or if we need to recruit one. Can't find that out unless you let them play some.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You can only have one QB play at a time, so what's the point of having both freshman redshirt? Stagger out their years, for God sakes. We have another QB coming in on top of it all.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You can only have one QB play at a time, so what's the point of having both freshman redshirt? Stagger out their years, for God sakes. We have another QB coming in on top of it all.

We need 2-3. Allen's stock is falling. He's been terrible this year. Probably will never do anything but hold a clip board for the starters.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
The best coaches identify and exploit their opponent's weakness(es). It's really not a difficult concept.

G8RATL

Master of My Domain
Aug 14, 2015
LOL this article lost ALL credibility in the first sentence LOL
"I’ve lauded Jim McElwain for his in-game strategy"

Are you kidding me?!?! You mean the guy who decided we had a big enough lead to run out the clock at the beginning of the 2nd half at TN? You mean the guy who left a limp noodle arm interception machine in against Arky? The guy who has had no cajones at all on special teams?

Pleeeeease...based on that first sentence, I couldn't go further.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
It is hard to run the ball against 8-9 man fronts. Teams don't respect LDR. We have to force them to respect the passing game. When they do, I think we'll be able to run the ball. Also, Ox is right. What is the point in redshirting both QBs? It is time to play one of them. Whichever guy the staff thinks is the future, that is the guy who should play.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Yeah, I thought the writer contradicted himself a bit. Couldn't take it to seriously.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned but we can still win the East and Appleby gives us the best chance to win. Starting either freshman doesn't necessarily give you a jump on next year. The other(non-playing) kid could easily outplay the other which would render this extra experience moot.

Play to win. AA is the tallest midget.

Foley really ****ed us...again.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Not sure if it's been mentioned but we can still win the East and Appleby gives us the best chance to win. Starting either freshman doesn't necessarily give you a jump on next year. The other(non-playing) kid could easily outplay the other which would render this extra experience moot.

Play to win. AA is the tallest midget.

Foley really ****ed us...again.

Dude put down the crack pipe...we are't winning the east. Did you not see LSU's defense stymie Bama's offense for 3 quarters? Did you just watch ours against a putrid Arkansas team?

Start the Freshman and what little recruits we might still have a shot at some hope in our offense. A graduate transfer isn't it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Burning it now wouldn't make any sense. We've run off the tracks. What speaks loudest about this season is that Mac bet heavy on Del Rio and lost in spite of disinterest from two other programs. The backup plan was a bet, too. There isn't anyone on board who's ready to lead this team today, and that's frustrating.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Burning it now wouldn't make any sense. We've run off the tracks. What speaks loudest about this season is that Mac bet heavy on Del Rio in spite of disinterest from two other programs and lost. The backup plan was a bet, too. There isn't anyone on board who's ready to lead this team today, and that's frustrating.

Have to give the fan base and recruits some hope for 2017. I think if the one of the freshman show even just a little bit of life it would go a long way in rebuilding a little confidence in Mac...

Starting AA does nothing positive for us at this point.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have to give the fan base and recruits some hope for 2017. I think if the one of the freshman show even just a little bit of life it would go a long way in rebuilding a little confidence in Mac...

Starting AA does nothing positive for us at this point.

One thing lost in the discussion is Mac's constant refusal to mortgage the future, which I respect. He's committed to steady improvement at the risk of losing some of the fan base. I wouldn't burn a redshirt either if I was him, regardless of the circumstances. I don't think this roster is capable of going deep in the postseason even with an improvement at the position.

Now, if you want to second guess him on Grier, fire away IMO. The moment he left the team, we were essentially f*cked for the next one or two seasons.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
It's idiotic to keep both Trask and Franks in the same class especially when all of them would be in the same one as Allen and that's 3 freshman...someone will leave and we will keep the wrong one lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.