Pulling Freshman QBs Redshirt Bad Decision

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Guys, if the coaching staff felt it could win out with Trask or Franks, do you doubt for one minute that they would give it a shot? Maybe there's a reason why they prefer not to, such as watching them in practice and realizing how green they are or prone to misreading coverages or making throws that lead to costly turnovers, not to mention what could happen to their confidence if thrown to the wolves.

There's a reason why most successful college quarterbacks go through a grooming process. We wouldn't be gnashing teeth over the subject if Grier had stayed. It cost us the transitional quarterback the team desperately needed and forced Mac to gamble on a pair of transfers that amounted to someone else's leftovers.

Yes, it's painful to watch, but I seriously doubt there's an obvious answer walking the sidelines that the coaches stubbornly refuse to utilize.
Why should we always trust the coaches. Shcit, will muschamp had to play 3or 4 other qbs before he realized which one was the best . You never know what you got until you see these guys play in a game. It's time to see what we have and get these guys ready for next year .

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
One thing lost in the discussion is Mac's constant refusal to mortgage the future, which I respect. He's committed to steady improvement at the risk of losing some of the fan base. I wouldn't burn a redshirt either if I was him, regardless of the circumstances. I don't think this roster is capable of going deep in the postseason even with an improvement at the position.

Now, if you want to second guess him on Grier, fire away IMO. The moment he left the team, we were essentially f*cked for the next one or two seasons.
Steady improvement?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dumb article. How do you write that AA is nothing but a back-up, and you can't start a Freshman (when behind AA that's all you have, is Freshmen) in the same article make any sense at all? Dude is clueless. Your stater is injured, possibly for the rest of the season, and your back-up has never been good enough for anything more than being a back-up. He's also a graduate transfer who's football career is over once this season is done. He isn't the future. He isn't winning any games that require a game changing QB. It's time to see if we have a game changing QB on the roster or if we need to recruit one. Can't find that out unless you let them play some.

I agree completely.
There is no reason to redshirt both of them since one of them will probably transfer in another year anyway.
Let's see if we have anything we can let recruits see. LDR or Appleby will not excite anybody

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You can only have one QB play at a time, so what's the point of having both freshman redshirt? Stagger out their years, for God sakes. We have another QB coming in on top of it all.
Staggering their years gives us the best chance to keep em all.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I agree completely.
There is no reason to redshirt both of them since one of them will probably transfer in another year anyway.
Let's see if we have anything we can let recruits see. LDR or Appleby will not excite anybody
agreed. If trask was a reach than why does it matter if we use his redshirt. Keep Franks Redshirt, but its not hurting anything to burn Trask's like you said whenever one beats out the other and becomes the starter the other is likely to transfer anyways.

SoberJohn

BANNED
Jul 3, 2015
I see no reason to not play one of the freshmen quarterbacks, unless they are just not even close to being ready to take a snap in a real game, which might be the case. We have no idea if either one of them is ready or would be a total disaster to put on the field, but worrying about redshirting them is dumb. If one of them can play, play them.
The problem is that you can ruin a QB, for good, if you throw them into the fire too early. But the alternative is to, like Groundhog Day, is to go into another season not having any idea if there is a single QB on the roster that is competent, as has been the case ever since Tebow graduated.
It's obvious that Luke Del Rio is a scrub, so it's time to look for someone else, and Appleby won't be around next year. One thing is for sure, though. It's time to NEVER believe a word coming from a player or coach's mouth. Del Rio, we were told by the supposed "insiders" was better than Will Grier or Treon Harris. The coaches were frustrated that the mighty Del Rio had to sit out last year. Now that we've seen him play, you have to wonder about McElwain's acumen when it comes to QB's. Del Rio isn't athletic and has a noodle arm. His decision making isn't great, either, so what did McElwain get excited about?
It's also questionable about Del Rio's "injury." I saw FSU's current QB keep playing with a shoulder injury that was so bad he couldn't raise his arm above his neck. If Del Rio was competent, I suspect he'd be playing this week.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Not sure if it's been mentioned but we can still win the East and Appleby gives us the best chance to win. Starting either freshman doesn't necessarily give you a jump on next year. The other(non-playing) kid could easily outplay the other which would render this extra experience moot.

Play to win. AA is the tallest midget.

Foley really ****ed us...again.
Is winning the East with Mac really a benefit long term? The east isn't improving soon. How bad will this get if he's given 5-6 years and keeps winning the east and the roster is 80-90% 3*s? Are you guys ok with not really being relevant for another potential decade like now? Lets tear the bandaid off now before the wound gets any worse. Mac isn't winning the SEC or making the playoffs for us. He's nuking The program one 3* and missed OL-DT at a time. I'd play AA to finish the year and fire Mac. There's no point in digging this hole any deeper. As for the freshman I bet neither are ready and Trask is 4th on the DC. He's a backup. That's it. He won't ever start here unless we have no one else.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Steady improvement?

I didn't mean that he achieved it but that it was the goal. He's failed in that area and the quarterback position is a big reason why.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Haven't we seen enough of that with both AA and LDR? I'd rather see a freshman do it and know it's because he's a freshman....

No. Appleby has thrown 1 INT and it was when he was put in a no-win situation at UT. He has not played behind the starting OL yet for a single snap he's taken (and he won't again on Saturday w/ Dillard out). LDR has played behind the starting OL the last 3 games and has tossed 6 INTs. AA may not be a much better option, but after watching Del Rio the last 3 weeks, I think it's a step up. Add to that, he can run and isn't afraid to run. If he sh*ts the bed vs. South Carolina, well we're pretty much screwed anyway (the rest of the year).

The issue w/ McElwain's arrogance is at play here. What will he do? He likely does the opposite of what all of us think he should do (because that's what he's done since he's been here). A freshman should have played earlier in the year. Del Rio should have led the offense to blowouts vs. UMass (24 points that day) and North Texas (19 points late in the 3rd quarter when Del Rio was injured). Had we blown both of those teams out then AA and possibly a freshman would have gotten some snaps and throws those games. AA went to Tennessee w/ 4 passing attempts to his name.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Save the redshirts ? When is it that we need to find a QB ? In the future ?
UF (under Spurrier) found QBs with abilities so excellent as to surprise us all.
Run the play. The WR gets open and the freshman QB hits him with a speed-flight pass.
The team gets enthused. The learning, the growing-better process starts. What else is there?

Poor, poor Gator players, they do not have coaches that can make their season worthwhile.
Those coaches have been failing these athletes for about a year now.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Even if we do play a freshman Mac will just go back to LDR next year. Even with LDR's dead arm Mac said had he known LDR was hurt, he may have taken him out. That's all you need to know right there.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At this point, I would enjoy watching us put in someone with a good arm sling it around the yard. We are going down in flames this year anyhow....at least make it entertaining and give us some hope for next year. Make it fun again for the players and recruits. You know if we ride out the season with Appleby it will just be a slow bleed-out. Then next year someone will say we can't play the redshirt freshmen b/c they don't have experience!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Pull a redshirt .?.. well, we don't want to make a mistake and jeopardize where we are now.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why is SoberJohn posting still?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Brady Ackerman commented on this today. He, according to him, has been to more practices than any other gator media member. Based on that,

1. Franks is the backup. However, if fans are expecting Eason or Bentley they are in for major disappointment. He's no where near that level right now. The way he spoke, I get the feeling he shouldn't play at all. He simply isn't ready. Someone has to be the backup though.

2. Unless Franks and AA get hurt, Trask isn't seeing the field. They will not burn the redshirt. He is something special to the staff. Basically, this is a Treon/Grier situation. Franks will play if necessary like Treon did, but Trask is the future.

For the people who struggle with reading comprehension, Franks is obviously more talented than Treon. Franks has NFL caliber talent. This was just a comparison to that situation.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Why should we always trust the coaches. Shcit, will muschamp had to play 3or 4 other qbs before he realized which one was the best . You never know what you got until you see these guys play in a game. It's time to see what we have and get these guys ready for next year .
Look at Wuerffel and Matthews

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I see no reason to not play one of the freshmen quarterbacks, unless they are just not even close to being ready to take a snap in a real game, which might be the case. We have no idea if either one of them is ready or would be a total disaster to put on the field, but worrying about redshirting them is dumb. If one of them can play, play them.
The problem is that you can ruin a QB, for good, if you throw them into the fire too early. But the alternative is to, like Groundhog Day, is to go into another season not having any idea if there is a single QB on the roster that is competent, as has been the case ever since Tebow graduated.
It's obvious that Luke Del Rio is a scrub, so it's time to look for someone else, and Appleby won't be around next year. One thing is for sure, though. It's time to NEVER believe a word coming from a player or coach's mouth. Del Rio, we were told by the supposed "insiders" was better than Will Grier or Treon Harris. The coaches were frustrated that the mighty Del Rio had to sit out last year. Now that we've seen him play, you have to wonder about McElwain's acumen when it comes to QB's. Del Rio isn't athletic and has a noodle arm. His decision making isn't great, either, so what did McElwain get excited about?
It's also questionable about Del Rio's "injury." I saw FSU's current QB keep playing with a shoulder injury that was so bad he couldn't raise his arm above his neck. If Del Rio was competent, I suspect he'd be playing this week.
You realize no one worried about burning Tebows redshirt.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Is winning the East with Mac really a benefit long term? The east isn't improving soon. How bad will this get if he's given 5-6 years and keeps winning the east and the roster is 80-90% 3*s? Are you guys ok with not really being relevant for another potential decade like now? Lets tear the bandaid off now before the wound gets any worse. Mac isn't winning the SEC or making the playoffs for us. He's nuking The program one 3* and missed OL-DT at a time. I'd play AA to finish the year and fire Mac. There's no point in digging this hole any deeper. As for the freshman I bet neither are ready and Trask is 4th on the DC. He's a backup. That's it. He won't ever start here unless we have no one else.
If we keep winning the east our *s go up. That's what winning does. Look at fsucks they did it for years for winning the acc

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
If I thought my job was on the line, I'd burn every redshirt in sight. I'd be sacrificing chickens, goats, virgins, whatever. I'd fire anyone who looked at me funny or wore their hat like a douche. I'd allow any former player/coach who was wandering the grounds to put their mark on my team. Basically, I'd do everything that muschump wouldn't and McElwank won't, to save my job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.