Pulling Freshman QBs Redshirt Bad Decision

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Dude put down the crack pipe...we are't winning the east. Did you not see LSU's defense stymie Bama's offense for 3 quarters? Did you just watch ours against a putrid Arkansas team?

Start the Freshman and what little recruits we might still have a shot at some hope in our offense. A graduate transfer isn't it.

Funny. I'm hardly the voice of reason around here. Mac hasn't shown me dick so far so Im sure whatever he does will be wrong.

The guy wouldn't even pull a lame LDR. You think he plays a true freshman? Let me share my crack pipe with you.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You play who gives you the best chance to win.
100000000 percent correct. You play whoever can help you win the most regardless of tenure.....I can't believe anyone would consider holding back on guys like Franks, who we all saw in the Spring game, and for the love of God certainly not TRASK!!!! If we ever get one quality season from either I'll probably shart myself....

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
We need 2-3. Allen's stock is falling. He's been terrible this year. Probably will never do anything but hold a clip board for the starters.
I agree...he's a good kid but he is garbage on the field despite having elite talent all around him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We need 2-3. Allen's stock is falling. He's been terrible this year. Probably will never do anything but hold a clip board for the starters.

... not to worry, Mac is bringing in a graduate transfer QB .

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I agree...he's a good kid but he is garbage on the field despite having elite talent all around him.

Well, he is all gator and is doing everything in his power to recruit as many good players he can. I am hoping he can contribute here.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I agree with Goldkamp on this. Start one of the freshman and whatever happens...happens! At least going into next season we won't be going into "Jerry world" with a green QB who's never taken a snap. Btw...it's been 390+ days since we beat a ranked team so WTF do we have to lose?

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/M...-UF-start-Appleby-or-a-true-freshman-48822573
If I thought it might save my job now or in the future I'd damned sure at least try one of the freshmen before the end of the season. Hell if either can bring anything to the table other than being a career clipboard holder I'd rather find out sooner than later.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
:popcorn: This is me for whatever happens the rest of this year. And the popcorn's stale.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
If I thought it might save my job now or in the future I'd damned sure at least try one of the freshmen before the end of the season. Hell if either can bring anything to the table other than being a career clipboard holder I'd rather find out sooner than later.
I agree...there's true freshman playing all over the Country and thriving. If it we're me I'm starting Trask and going to every spread formation we have in the playbook and if sh*t breaks down tell him to take off! We've tried "Bama ball" for almost 2 yrs and it's failed miserably. So...it's time to do something different but I'm 100% sure Mac will do neither! Elite coaches adjust...the one's we hire (as of late) don't.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Well, he is all gator and is doing everything in his power to recruit as many good players he can. I am hoping he can contribute here.
Don't get me wrong...I like him as a person and hope he can contribute but since his back injury he has not been the same. I'm not sure what his injury was but I broke mine in 4 places in Feb so I know how hard it is to comeback from a injury like that. It's hell!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Don't get me wrong...I like him as a person and hope he can contribute but since his back injury he has not been the same. I'm not sure what his injury was but I broke mine in 4 places in Feb so I know how hard it is to comeback from a injury like that. It's hell!

I hear ya, I suffer chronic back pain every day. I have rods and screws holding 4-5 lumbar together. Until you have a back injury, especially lower back you just dont realize how everything you do depends on your back. Whatever he did, I hope he can over come it and be successful.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You can only have one QB play at a time, so what's the point of having both freshman redshirt? Stagger out their years, for God sakes. We have another QB coming in on top of it all.

What's worse is it sets up exactly the way an offensive minded coach should want. Ideally, you want to have a seasoned backup with 1-2 years of starting time after sitting and learning for the first few seasons.

I've said before, poor game day decisions will cost you games. Poor recruiting and/or roster management will cost you seasons. This makes zero sense.

And the premise of the article about not rolling a freshman out against WM because of emotion from Seniors is equally ridiculous. First of all, most of our offensive talent this year is underclassmen and are Mac guys. So the players that our rookie QBs would be interacting with wouldn't really have any ties to the previous staff. And in any event, if we have to be concerned that our players might, at best not give their all, and at worst almost sabotage things because of who's on the opposing sidelines, then we have much bigger problems than just who's taking snaps under center.

Yes we should've done this weeks ago. But the longer we wait the worse it will be. At least they'd be in front of their home crowd making the start. We won't have that luxury again for 4 more games after Saturday.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Guys, if the coaching staff felt it could win out with Trask or Franks, do you doubt for one minute that they would give it a shot? Maybe there's a reason why they prefer not to, such as watching them in practice and realizing how green they are or prone to misreading coverages or making throws that lead to costly turnovers, not to mention what could happen to their confidence if thrown to the wolves.

There's a reason why most successful college quarterbacks go through a grooming process. We wouldn't be gnashing teeth over the subject if Grier had stayed. It cost us the transitional quarterback the team desperately needed and forced Mac to gamble on a pair of transfers that amounted to someone else's leftovers.

Yes, it's painful to watch, but I seriously doubt there's an obvious answer walking the sidelines that the coaches stubbornly refuse to utilize.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
LOL this article lost ALL credibility in the first sentence LOL
"I’ve lauded Jim McElwain for his in-game strategy"

Are you kidding me?!?! You mean the guy who decided we had a big enough lead to run out the clock at the beginning of the 2nd half at TN? You mean the guy who left a limp noodle arm interception machine in against Arky? The guy who has had no cajones at all on special teams?

Pleeeeease...based on that first sentence, I couldn't go further.
Speakin Of special teams, get Calloway off of punt return, coach is pissing me off when I see him back there.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't we seen enough of that with both AA and LDR? I'd rather see a freshman do it and know it's because he's a freshman....
All things being equal, if we're gonna suck at the quarterback position it makes more sense to burn Del Rio's or Appleby's stat lines than needlessly burn a redshirt this late in the season.

Unless you think either guy on the bench can help us beat Bama. Any buyers?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
All things being equal, if we're gonna suck at the quarterback position it makes more sense to burn Del Rio's or Appleby's stat lines than needlessly burn a redshirt this late in the season.

Unless you think either guy on the bench can help us beat Bama. Any buyers?

Well aside from the fact we aren't getting to Bama.....

I think you ought to go with Trask. You play him; if he surprises you then boom you have your future QB...if he sucks oh well he was a 2 star guy and it doesnt matter because you have Franks for game 1 next year. There is no point to keep them both RS

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well aside from the fact we aren't getting to Bama.....

I think you ought to go with Trask. You play him; if he surprises you then boom you have your future QB...if he sucks oh well he was a 2 star guy and it doesnt matter because you have Franks for game 1 next year. There is no point to keep them both RS
Who knows? Maybe we'll see that before the season's over. I hope not because it could only happen under circumstances that signaled our primary goals were no longer attainable.

Losing Saturday could be a start toward that.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Its not the best situation to burn a RS. But if you have two sitting on the bench it may be worth it to burn one of them. If you think that Franks is the future play Trask. If he balls, great we have a competition with him and Franks. Then work on recruiting other QB's to come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator