Reason Grier transferred

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So he was running for his life against New Mexico, ECU, and Ole Miss? They were bad, but they were also healthy, which wasn't the case in the last few games of the season.

Assumptions you are currently making with this argument:
1. Defenses played Harris the same they played Grier. Teams focused on keeping Harris in the pocket (because was obviously a worse passer). So pass rush was secondary (extra 2-3 seconds behind a MASH unit line). He would have no decline in production when defenses had enough game tape (Like Missouri had the tape).

Would those same receivers have been open if the defense had to worry about a 10+ yard pass? Would the pass rush have been more attacking knowing a quarterback could make the throws, so getting to him would be more important. If that was the case that extra 2-3 seconds wouldn't have been there.
So would teams have been able to load the box which completely shut down any hopes we had of a running game?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
tumblr_inline_nkr95pCp6F1sb080b.gif

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sure you would have told him anything he wanted to hear. Fortunately, Mac is not a lying scuzzbag. I'm 100% behind Mac, and Grier is gatorbait.
Well I sure hope Mac can work wonders with a 3 time hobo noodle arm or true freshmen....if not all of this warm and fuzzy will turn to piss and vinegar come another 4-8 season...
The point nobody gets is that if Grier screwed us by getting suspended who cares if he gets butthurt and transfers a year later...:exactly:Until then he would have been a hell of an insurance policy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So would teams have been able to load the box which completely shut down any hopes we had of a running game?

They wouldn't need to with our line. That is the point. Taylor's season was amazing because he was hit behind the line on every carry it seems except Georgia (reason for the coaching change). Our line was pathetic at the beginning of the season and dreadful at the end of it. FAU was getting push with their front four.

At the time of his dismissal there wasn't proof as you put it, he played in 5 games with questionable competition:
The only proof from the story I see is the fact that at the time of his dismissal Grier was the best QB in the conference...

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He is from the Charlotte area, but Grier and his ilk would be an absolute perfect fit at Louisville with that scumbag Petrino.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Well I sure hope Mac can work wonders with a 3 time hobo noodle arm or true freshmen....if not all of this warm and fuzzy will turn to piss and vinegar come another 4-8 season...
The point nobody gets is that if Grier screwed us by getting suspended who cares if he gets butthurt and transfers a year later...:exactly:Until then he would have been a hell of an insurance policy.

He's been gone since he got caught. Let's all put it to bed and look forward. We've got a lot to look forward to. As Mac would say,..it should be fun.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Let me get this straight:
1. He took PED's. Knowingly or unknowingly, He f'ed up and hurt the team in a huge way.
2. After the 1 year suspension was announced, he disappears for a 2-3 weeks and no one on the staff knows where he is. This was reported by a number of gator writers.
3. He then just shows back up and demands that he be guaranteed the starting job when he gets back next season?

WOW!!! JUST WOW!!!

I have never seen such narcissism in a football player. I don't want this kind of human being on our football team.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He was the best quarterback over 5 games? He played New Mexico (who cares), ECU (got pulled), UK (not great), UT (1 quarter), Ole Miss (1 half), and Missouri (looked bad).

Lets not pretend he was lighting the world on fire against the best defenses in the SEC. Ole Miss was the best team he played. He floundered against Missouri and UK, neither of which were great teams.

New Mexico 88.2% 2-0 164 yds qtr 208.1 (it's New Mexico)
ECU 58.8% 2-1 151 yds qtr 160.5 (Harris closed out the game)
UK 59.1% 0-1 125 yds qtr 97.7
UT 54.8% 2-1 283 yds qtr 122.3 (UT defense remembered they were UT)
Ole Miss 82.8% 4-0 271 yds qtr 206.8 (best game against a good opponent)
Missouri 60.6% 0-0 208 yds qtr 113.6

Grier is better than Harris, but he also didn't play against the best defenses our team went up against. We don't really know what we had in Grier, because we had just started to reach the part of the season where teams have tape on you, and can game plan against you. If a kid wants to leave because he is afraid of competition, that is the spot he himself in. That is on him.

I would bet douche dad had a hand in this too.

Interesting stats, but they don't tell the whole story. Take the ECU game for example. He had a TD pass to Robinson called back due to a lame
offensive PA penalty called on the opposite side of the play. The pick he threw in that game was a ball that hit Alvin Bailey in the hands for an easy gain,
but Bailey tipped the ball right to a defender then proceeded to fall down. Probably a good reason why Bailey didn't play much in league play. Obviously
we don't know how it would've played out all year with WG. But I highly doubt we would've gone to overtime with FAU, needed a game winning kick with
just a couple minutes on the clock against Vandy, or gotten shutout offensively against our in state rival.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
He wanted Coach Mac to guarantee him a starting role when he returned. Coach Mac would not. He said it had to be earned.

Good for Mac. Embarrassing for the Griers.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ill-griers-decision-gators-20151229-post.html
Don't believe everything the Sentinel prints. There is a reason
they no longer have access in Gainesville. Bianchi is still there slowly reducing their readership.
The Grier family is a problem we'll probably be glad we got rid
of before his career is over.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am so glad that Mac is our coach. Normally anything from the O.S. I would not give any credit to, especially if from BEEONNKEE! Let this send a message to all these recruits and parents that the Voodoo BS like the Griers tried to pull on Mac ain't gonna work. Second, you have to remember that Del Rio has followed Nussmeier and wants to play for him. Kid may be legit to be a serviceable QB. Mac holds all the cards and he doubled down on the Griers. Glad he is not going to stand for that shyt. I would have loved for the kid to stay, but maybe its better off. Grier was a Muschamp recruit and would have gotten away with that type of manipulation if the Dwag was still here. Maybe another way Mac is dooshing the stinch that is left over. Too bad, lots of potential, but in the end better off for UF.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Grier is gone, bye bye...Next up....that being said, he was being judged on his first year in the SEC and if you know anything at all about football you know he was beginning to progress and had the tools to become a star. Was he great? Nope but he likely could have been. None of it matters now anyhow. We are gonna be just fine going forward...

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I missed Macs other 4-8 year. We just won the east and are in a New Year's Day bowl. Go Gators!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting stats, but they don't tell the whole story. Take the ECU game for example. He had a TD pass to Robinson called back due to a lame
offensive PA penalty called on the opposite side of the play. The pick he threw in that game was a ball that hit Alvin Bailey in the hands for an easy gain,
but Bailey tipped the ball right to a defender then proceeded to fall down. Probably a good reason why Bailey didn't play much in league play. Obviously
we don't know how it would've played out all year with WG. But I highly doubt we would've gone to overtime with FAU, needed a game winning kick with
just a couple minutes on the clock against Vandy, or gotten shutout offensively against our in state rival.

So because the other positions players, played so bad Grier got pulled against ECU? Really? Should we go back and talk about everytime Brantely had a dropped pass or Driskel. So you pick out two plays out of those stats, and that is the whole story?

At the end of the day all quarterbacks are defined by their stat line and their wins. Grier was 5-0 in arguably easiest part of our schedule, and his best game was against arguably his hardest opponent. But he also had some bad games against at best questionable competition. Part of that is due to the o-line, much like part of Harris's issues were O-line. Harris wasn't the fit for the offense that Grier was, no one is arguing that. Grier made a mistake, but he is doubling down on it by douching out. Grier's father is a giant douche, and media whore. Grier has natural talent, no one is arguing. We don't know what the final product of Grier is, but people (like you) are making excuses for his mistakes and others are anointing him after 5 games.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I missed Macs other 4-8 year. We just won the east and are in a New Year's Day bowl. Go Gators!
Mostly because of Grier and the first half of the season......6-0 is better than 4-3...And for everyone who is gonna say the competition was better in the second half, I'm gonna say how do we know that Grier wouldn't have been All Conference by the end of the season :dunno:, OR next season....It's called insurance. If Del Rio is that good next year then you kick him to the curb....If Del Rio sucks, which is very likely you will get to see that 4-8 season more than likely.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mostly because of Grier and the first half of the season......6-0 is better than 4-3...And for everyone who is gonna say the competition was better in the second half, I'm gonna say how do we know that Grier wouldn't have been All Conference by the end of the season :dunno:, OR next season....It's called insurance. If Del Rio is that good next year then you kick him to the curb....If Del Rio sucks, which is very likely you will get to see that 4-8 season more than likely.

For the sake of argument lets say the story is true... you let him stay with that guarantee then you have opened the door to the next hotshot qb or position player. If you feel you can get equal results out of the next guy. McElwain is getting a pass because of the mess he is cleaning up, with that he has a little more leeway recordwise. Now if 2017 rolls around and the team is 4-8, 7-6, etc.. then the pitchforks will come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator