Reason Grier transferred

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete, are you seriously advocating that our HC should guarantee a starting position to any player...especially one who is coming off of a year long NCAA suspension for taking PEDs? Seriously?
First things first, I'm not certain that there isn't more to the whole PED situation than we have been allowed to know about....Strange, huh?
Second why would Mac EVER agree to a meeting at Daddy's house? Bad negotiating skills are written all over that scene, unless it somehow related to my first point. What he should have said is' I'll see you after the bowl game when you're back in classes.....That assures the upper hand in the situation by assuring Grier is committed by being enrolled back at UF....If he doesn't come then guess what? He transferring anyway....
Third, Chad Grier is a former player and coach(?). Will was recruited by nearly everybody, I don't believe for a second they honestly believe there is anything or anyone who "guarantees" a starting position in big time CFB....This isn't Pop Warner and I bet the whole thing was never an issue. My guess is Chad wanted to make sure his son wasn't going to spend any more of his eligibility sitting in some ones doghouse because of personal reasons, or a personal dislike....

I think Mac did a fine job this year and seems to be headed in the right direction, however we just lived through a coach who's tenure took us to an 11 win season and then dropped a 4-8 on us. The jury's still out in other words.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone can agree that Mac did the right thing by letting him go. If Mac was given an ultimatum he didn't really even have a choice, he was gone.

However, make no mistake, he is really really good. He was a freshman with minimal experience, and yet all you had to do was use your eyes to see the kid is a special talent. Screw what stats he had against which teams. If you were paying attention and have even a little ability to scout talent then you know he was a baller and would have been the best QB on our team as long as he was on our team.

He also looks like he has next level talent, and will fit right in since he already has the ego, dooshbag attitude and PED connections.

5* talent. Total basket case.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I can't really fault McElwain for his approach given this. It is actually absurd for Grier to think he would be guaranteed a starting job. Sure, McElwain could have lead him on, give him a sales job and danced around the issue, but that would have probably lead to other issues down the road and would have diminished his credibility with the team.

It is still dumbfounding to me that Grier's dad would be supportive of this approach, when the only other options are to go JUCO, or sit out yet another year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Please someone show me proof that Grier or his dad demanded a starting position....I want a guarantee someone said that...:dunno:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
if you read it here, its gospel.
AAAAAMMMMMEEEENNNN......:lol2:
I'm gonna reread the story because I must have missed the part about where someone with a real name ask the question to Mac and he said Grier and his Dad demanded a guaranteed starting spot......

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I'm gonna reread the story because I must have missed the part about where someone with a real name ask the question to Mac and he said Grier and his Dad demanded a guaranteed starting spot......

Please let me know when you find it...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This thread has potential...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac always seemed critical of Will, even when he played well. He started Treon in game one despite the talent gap. There was was always something he didn't like about him, whether it was entitlement or off-field activities. Mac's glad he is gone, and I'm with him.
I always sensed this too

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're a little slow on the uptake anyway.

What do you think it means when Mac says there are no guarantees?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Crete is pretty easy to see from that article that there were some things asked for by the Griers. And starting was almost had to be the point. What else would there be?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You're a little slow on the uptake anyway.

What do you think it means when Mac says there are no guarantees?
"And sometimes in life we all maybe look for … hmmm, what to say maybe, uh, sure things, you know, guarantees. There are no guarantees.”
Guarantee what? That Grier won't get in trouble again? Guarantee that he won't be living with Austin Hardon again? Guarantee that he will have a functional offensive line next year? Or maybe a guarantee that his coach doesn't hate him and bury him on the depth chart because he or someone advising him made a mistake about the whole suspension?

Far be it from the Slantinel to misplace quotes.......like a "real QB"

If anything reading these quotes from our coach make me think he may be hiding something....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Crete, you never scored highly on reading comprehension tests, huh?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
We know enough. The whole "Grier package deal" of player, family, screwup, hype, etc. was a lot to deal with. Ultimately it was his decision.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Please someone show me proof that Grier or his dad demanded a starting position....I want a guarantee someone said that...:dunno:
If Mac let himself be placed in the position of having to give a guarantee, then ,certainly, he could not and you are wrong to suggest he do so. However, I believe your construction of what went on is far, far more liky than the view of the rest of the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.