Rebuilding through recruiting

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've seen quite a few posters says to give Mac a chance. He needs time to rebuild. Sounds like Chump supporters all over again. Look, I don't know if Mac is the answer or not but rebuilding is done through recruiting. Mac has had 2 recruiting classes and is working on his third.

Mac was brought in to kick start our offense. But it's been non-existent. Yes, there were problems with depth on the O-line but that's not a problem anymore and the staff has done a piss poor job in getting the line to pass block. Case in point, Louisville is loaded with 2 and 3 star O-lineman and that unit looks really proficient. Offense hasn't done crap under Mac. In fact, the only time we looked really good was when Grier's athleticism took over on broken 4th down plays to keep drives alive against Tennessee (and one other game against Ole Miss).

So, if offense is a liability, and SPECIAL TEAMS is a liability, that leaves us with DEFENSE. Defensive recruiting has been good at the DE position, but NOWHERE ELSE. In 2 years of recruiting (and about to go on 3), not a single Mac recruited defensive player is a starter. NOT ONE.

At the end of this season we will LOSE THE ENTIRE STARTING DEFENSE except Duke Dawson and Nick Washington (and maybe Sherritt). And those guys will be RS Senior and a senior next year. Let that sink in.

DE: Bryan Cox Jr. (RS Sr)
NT: Joey Ivie (Sr)
DT: Caleb Brantley (RS Jr)
DE: Jordan Sherit (RS Jr)
SLB: Daniel McMillian (Sr)
MLB: Jarrad Davis (Sr)
WLB: Alex Anzalone (RS Jr)
CB: Quincy Wilson (Jr)
CB: Jalen Tabor (Jr)
SS: Marcus Maye (RS Sr)
FS: Nick Washington (RS Jr)
Nickel: Duke Dawson (Jr)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac doesn't pull a good Top 10 class this year he will not survive. You have to get top classes to win the SEC. That has been the case for many years now even when Bama didn't win the SEC.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
If you look at the current Rivals top 20. Urban has 4 commits, Saban has 2 and Dabo has 2. Guess which teams are currently ranked in the AP poll top 5?

We used to get multiple top 20 recruits. That's what it takes to be a champion and compete at the highest level. Mac will be lucky to get a few in the top 20-100. There are no Tebow's, Harvin's, Spikes, Pouncey's, VHIII's or Dunlap's walking through our doors any more. Until we get a coach that can get these recruits we'll continue to be mired in mediocrity.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I shudder to think how bad our defense will be next year. I do agree we need to recruit better for the future, but it doesnt explain our loss last night (not saying that's what you are implying)

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I shudder to think how bad our defense will be next year. I do agree we need to recruit better for the future, but it doesnt explain our loss last night (not saying that's what you are implying)

Yep. Last night's loss was due to in game coaching. Defense is going to be abysmal next year. Nobody at DT other than Clark, thin at LB, No DBs other than Gardner and 1 more year of Putu, and a couple pass rushers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Its going to be unbelievably ugly. Probably the worst defense we have had in modern times, little doubt.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. Last night's loss was due to in game coaching. Defense is going to be abysmal next year. Nobody at DT other than Clark, thin at LB, No DBs other than Gardner and 1 more year of Putu, and a couple pass rushers.

Hopefully Reese pans out and Moon/Joseph can develop some this year. But yea our DL and safety position is an area where there isn't much hope.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you look at the current Rivals top 20. Urban has 4 commits, Saban has 2 and Dabo has 2. Guess which teams are currently ranked in the AP poll top 5?

We used to get multiple top 20 recruits. That's what it takes to be a champion and compete at the highest level. Mac will be lucky to get a few in the top 20-100. There are no Tebow's, Harvin's, Spikes, Pouncey's, VHIII's or Dunlap's walking through our doors any more. Until we get a coach that can get these recruits we'll continue to be mired in mediocrity.

I think many of us have been beating this drum for a while. I find it remarkable the group of posters that look past this and say, "it's not all about the jimmy and joes. It's about the coaching". Well, the coaching isn't panning out. And now we're not getting the players. So...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Its both.

Dont worry, by Tuesday the Pumpers will have us penciled in for the NCG.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully Reese pans out and Moon/Joseph can develop some this year. But yea our DL and safety position is an area where there isn't much hope.

Johnson, Reese, and Joseph will probably be starters next season. Here are our linebackers for next year. The final 6 are all walk-ons.

Vosean Joseph
Kylan Johnson
David Reese
Jeremiah Moon
Rayshad Jackson
R.J. Raymond
Will Thomas
Steven Stipe
Cristian Garcia
Jahim Lawrence
Danny Weldon

We have 2 linebackers committed this cycle. Miller (3 star) and Houston (3 star who is out his entire senior year with an injury).

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Its both.

Dont worry, by Tuesday the Pumpers will have us penciled in for the NCG.

Am I a pumper?

I'm ready to can a third of the staff and our AD, who isn't really our AD anymore but is still acting as our AD while looking for our new AD and wanting to stay on as our AD in some capacity therefor scaring off other ADs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Youre like me, bandwaggonish, but with more pump.

The AD doesnt want to retire. In fact, in his mind he is the best ever and deserves a promotion to run the conference. He isnt going willingly or even quietly. In the end I think we will have to fire him publicly. "Letting him resign" is just a foot-dragging contest.

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Am I a pumper?

I'm ready to can a third of the staff and our AD, who isn't really our AD anymore but is still acting as our AD while looking for our new AD and wanting to stay on as our AD in some capacity therefor scaring off other ADs.
Changes need to be made, starting with Nord. Summers needs to be on the chopping block right after him. If Nuss calls another abortion of a game like he did in the 2nd half yesterday, he can pack his shyt too.

If Mac isn't willing to send them packing because of his friendships for the betterment of the program, the he needs to be seeking other employment too.

What happened yesterday is completely unacceptable, but let's not act like it's the first time it's ever happened. It's happened to good teams and bad teams because of bad coaching and complacency.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SGG, its not happening except maybe Nord. I think actually died in 2014. I cant even think of the last time I saw him. There is certainly no evidence that he's been on campus.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I get and understand the argument regarding bring in great talent and developing (not really happening yet under Mac) that talent. With that said, no matter how much 5 star talent you have, it will not make Mac a better Game Manager. It will hide some of his flaws in that area, but not totally hide them. Game Management is innate and can't be taught. Mac does not have that abiltity. he showed it last year when things took a turn. Hr chose not to adapt and just wait until next year. Yesterday was an obvious example of just how poor he is at game management and does not understand how the micro leads to the macro. Or if you prefer, ZERO attention to detail!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I get and understand the argument regarding bring in great talent and developing (not really happening yet under Mac) that talent. With that said, no matter how much 5 star talent you have, it will not make Mac a better Game Manager. It will hide some of his flaws in that area, but not totally hide them. Game Management is innate and can't be taught. Mac does not have that abiltity. he showed it last year when things took a turn. Hr chose not to adapt and just wait until next year. Yesterday was an obvious example of just how poor he is at game management and does not understand how the micro leads to the macro. Or if you prefer, ZERO attention to detail!

The stubbornness of those last few games really soured me. All I heard from the pumpers was he's building something at the expense of current wins(at the time). Well, he didn't build ****. He didn't adapt last year and frankly, he didn't this year. Mac and Co are not the answer. Gonna be a long 1.3 years.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Need a top 5 class this year a little heavy on the defensive side, no doubt about it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Grier's athleticism took over on broken 4th down plays to keep drives alive against Tennessee (and one other game against Ole Miss).
I've been saying all along that we are 1 very good QB away, one with an arm and legs(Grier) from taking this thing back to a 11-12 win team, at least until we completely rebuild the depth, which is still a year or 2 away from being right, and bring in at least 1 or 2 more legitimate game breakers at the skill positions. My feelings are that Mac has a good plan in place for this program but some of his decisions on gameday and casting aside talented players could very well cost him a chance to see this thing thru. Sometimes talent comes with a little baggage. I'm sure Petrino , Dabo and Urban never tell players/recruits whatever they want to hear to get them to stay or come in the first place, right? Want to compete with the big boys.....better to be ready to play with the same set of rules.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Definitely not sold on Mac and Co being the answer at this point. I said after week 1 that this class, combined with our performance in next year's opener will probably determine his fate. I don't necessarily agree with notion that he isn't a good gameday coach. I thought he did well in that aspect last year when we actually had a QB. Yesterday was a different story though. Being out coached by Butch Jones is unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator