Rebuilding through recruiting

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I thin
Its both.

Dont worry, by Tuesday the Pumpers will have us penciled in for the NCG.

I think EVERYBODY sees we have issues on both the coaching side and player side too. Difference is some of us dont post it in every single thread and every single post we make. We might as well have one single thread on the board because you can pretty much read the same content in every one. I will say that nearly everyone here loved Nuss and sidehat in the first half. They would have voted them in for another raise. There is no excuse for the 2nd half of that game on either side of the ball including coaches and players. No excuse.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've been saying all along that we are 1 very good QB away, one with an arm and legs(Grier) from taking this thing back to a 11-12 win team, at least until we completely rebuild the depth, which is still a year or 2 away from being right, and bring in at least 1 or 2 more legitimate game breakers at the skill positions. My feelings are that Mac has a good plan in place for this program but some of his decisions on gameday and casting aside talented players could very well cost him a chance to see this thing thru. Sometimes talent comes with a little baggage. I'm sure Petrino , Dabo and Urban never tell players/recruits whatever they want to hear to get them to stay or come in the first place, right? Want to compete with the big boys.....better to be ready to play with the same set of rules.

Grier wouldn't be able to save this team from what happened yesterday with the play calling in the 2nd half and the defense just falling apart giving up 3 and 4 play TD drives at will. Heck Grier just had the good 5 quarters last year and came right back down to earth against Missouri. Appleby played well enough for us to win that game but it couldn't overcome the coaching in that 2nd half.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac doesn't pull a good Top 10 class this year he will not survive.
This is what I think as well. More than ever, he's got to get some guys, especially on the D side that can be immediate impact players. He either breaks through or breaks down.

I think many of us have been beating this drum for a while. I find it remarkable the group of posters that look past this and say, "it's not all about the jimmy and joes. It's about the coaching". Well, the coaching isn't panning out. And now we're not getting the players. So...
The actual old coach's maxim is "it ain't about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's!" This day and time, about the only guys that get out coached are the ones guilty of looking past opponents and allowing this to pass along to their players and those that play not to lose. Ringing too familiar right now.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Heck Grier just had the good 5 quarters last year and came right back down to earth against Missouri.
He single handedly won the game against Missouri and the other 5 games he played in behind the worst offensive line in the history of CFB....This whole 5 good quarters thing is just a way of posters on this board to feel good about Mac making the wrong decision.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He single handedly won the game against Missouri and the other 5 games he played in behind the worst offensive line in the history of CFB....This whole 5 good quarters thing is just a way of posters on this board to feel good about Mac making the wrong decision.

Lol at that Missouri talk. You need to watch that again. He didn't have some good game there. He did have to run around some but who doesn't in the SEC now especially against Missouri's smaller speed rushers. Missouri had tape on our wrinkles in that Ole Miss game and were ready for it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Oline has actually looked good in pass pro, compared to last year, which isn't saying much. There is little that you can take from last year given the nightmare that we had at QB and the atrocious Oline. Yet somehow we won 10 games, made it to Atlanta and Mac was recognized as COY by some people who have a better grasp on reality than most of the posters on this board.
Offensively our rankings for the last few years have been:
2011 98th
2012 97th
2013 117th
2014 104th
2015 83rd
2016 35th
I don't need the stats to see the improvement on the field in what we are calling. People bitched because we called too many pass plays in the first game. That's a 180 from the Chump Error. Additionally we have yet to have the starters play in 2 consecutive games. It takes a while for an offense to click and we still haven't had that consistency in personnel for that to happen. I'm a still encouraged with Mac/Nuss despite what happened in the third qtr last night. Which BTW, 99.9% of coaches would have called the same way.
Nord has to go, I agree. Summers maybe - depending on how we look at the end of the year. Recruiting has to get fixed and winning should help that but if we don't close strong this year Mac better have some dramatic plans in place - either wholesale changes to the staff or some major additions in terms of "assistants".

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Oline has actually looked good in pass pro, compared to last year, which isn't saying much. There is little that you can take from last year given the nightmare that we had at QB and the atrocious Oline. Yet somehow we won 10 games, made it to Atlanta and Mac was recognized as COY by some people who have a better grasp on reality than most of the posters on this board.
2011 98th
2012 97th
2013 117th
2014 104th
2015 83rd
2016 35th
I don't need the stats to see the improvement on the field in what we are calling. People *****ed because we called too many pass plays in the first game. That's a 180 from the Chump Error. Additionally we have yet to have the starters play in 2 consecutive games. It takes a while for an offense to click and we still haven't had that consistency in personnel for that to happen. I'm a still encouraged with Mac/Nuss despite what happened in the third qtr last night. Which BTW, 99.9% of coaches would have called the same way.
Nord has to go, I agree. Summers maybe - depending on how we look at the end of the year. Recruiting has to get fixed and winning should help that but if we don't close strong this year Mac better have some dramatic plans in place - either wholesale changes to the staff or some major additions in terms of "assistants".

I think we were way higher through our early games in 2014 also. I know through 3 games our total offense this year was neck and neck with 2014 and that included the game against Bama in 2014. We just need it to continue this season.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Youre like me, bandwaggonish but with a touch more pump.

The AD doesnt want to retire in fact, in his mind he is the best ever and deserves a promotion to run the conference. He isnt going willingly or even quietly. In the end I think we will have to publicly fire him.

Lol I can't disagree with that assessment. Not giving up on Mac but there need to be some changes fo sho

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
2011 98th
2012 97th
2013 117th
2014 104th
2015 83rd
2016 35th
I don't need the stats to see the improvement on the field in what we are calling. People *****ed because we called too many pass plays in the first game. That's a 180 from the Chump Error. Additionally we have yet to have the starters play in 2 consecutive games. It takes a while for an offense to click and we still haven't had that consistency in personnel for that to happen. I'm a still encouraged with Mac/Nuss despite what happened in the third qtr last night. Which BTW, 99.9% of coaches would have called the same way.

I hope you're not saying that 35th place is good. That's against UMass, North Texas, and Kentucky. And a Tennessee defense that was missing 4 starters.

I'm not saying you are, I'm just putting that caveat out there.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Given the amount of money we've forked over to get him it's a safe bet to assume he gets 4 years (3 if something goes majorly wrong). I'm in the camp that believes he's a good coach but poor recruiter which will ultimately be his downfall. I agree that unless he signs a top class this year, he's done.

If our facilities are upgraded across the board by the time he's fired (Mac's mark on the program so far) I would think we would be in a better position to land a top coach to take us to the next level.

It's all about timing when you make that change.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
McElwein is allegedly an offensive GURU... Currently we are 51 in total offense, 1 spot below West Point...

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At the end of this season we will LOSE THE ENTIRE STARTING DEFENSE except Duke Dawson and Nick Washington (and maybe Sherritt). And those guys will be RS Senior and a senior next year. Let that sink in.

DE: Bryan Cox Jr. (RS Sr) Jay Z / Clayton
NT: Joey Ivie (Sr) Bryan
DT: Caleb Brantley (RS Jr) Clark
DE: Jordan Sherit (RS Jr) or Polite
SLB: Daniel McMillian (Sr) Moon
MLB: Jarrad Davis (Sr) Reese
WLB: Alex Anzalone (RS Jr) or Johnson
CB: Quincy Wilson (Jr) Putu or incoming Freshman
CB: Jalen Tabor (Jr) Gardner or incoming freshman
SS: Marcus Maye (RS Sr) Taylor
FS: Nick Washington (RS Jr)
Nickel: Duke Dawson (Jr)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

So, a drastic dropoff at every position except maybe DE, and a bunch of players who have never set foot on the field will be starting. Seems perfect.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Shouldn't defensive recruiting be on Collins? Or what about Shannon who is supposed to be such a great influence in S. Florida? And isn't Torrian Grey supposed to be one of our better recruiters? After yesterday Grey is suspect as a coach also.

SoberJohn

BANNED
Jul 3, 2015
I wonder why anyone is complaining about the "coaching" or play calling in the second half against Tennessse. The loss had nothing to do with either thing. Tennessee, clearly, was just better than Florida. Florida was just lucky that Tennessee came out extremely tight. Once they loosened up, they dominated UF on both sides of the ball. The runs that went for good gains disappeared after Tennessee started manhandling UF's offensive line. How are you going to throw the ball if David Sharpe, for example, is imitating a matador? UF's poor field position also greatly restricted the plays available. You don't call a deep pass when Barnett is destroying Sharpe unless you are asking for a turnover or want to get your QB hurt.
I know it's difficult, if not impossible, for some folks to believe, but Tennessee, after years of stellar recruiting, is simply better than Florida right now. That's probably been true for the past couple of years, as well, but the margin was closer and Butch Jones is not a great coach. Jones didn't out coach McElwain. He simply had a much better team, even at QB.
Muschamp wasn't fired because UF was a great team, so expecting one in McElwain's second year was just a pipe dream anyway. The SEC East is still mediocre, so even a so-so team like UF can still claim the crown. Maybe that's the extent of the possibilities for this team. It's obvious that it's not even close to being a great one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator