Rebuilding through recruiting

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am hoping the football facility plan will make a huge difference. I'm not sure what the timeline is, but hopefully they are showing recruits a brand new football only facility and the recruits are excited to be in a brand new place...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I swear watching Johnson on those plays we should never call anything where the responsibility for him on a run play isn't right in front of him for the most part. He just can't process things on the fly it appears.

The experience that comes from playing together isn't there... that is part of the problem. We are still paying for years of patchwork lines.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Powell is pretty good as well. But the drop is precipitous after that.
Id LIKE to agree, but what the hell has he done since the UT game in 2015?

His biggest benefit may be drawing a safety in coverage so Goolsby gets a backer.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
On a number of the running plays we needed to just line up and push, but the play calling had players like Johnson pulling.
You only get 20 hours a week to practice. Thats not much bc to learn what the other team's playbook looks like ad implement your own. In theory ST takes up a big chunk of the time, bc you cant practice O ad D while ST on the field. ( I say in theory because we don't appear to practice ST.)

You just dont change the playbook over night. In sure those plays would have been fine w Jordan at guard. Big Fred has only been pulling guard for two weeks remember. Martez struggled when moved from tackle to guard for a few weeks also, but it still may be our best 5 (out of the current options).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You only get 20 hours a week to practice. Thats not much bc to learn what the other team's playbook looks like ad implement your own. In theory ST takes up a big chunk of the time, bc you cant practice O ad D while ST on the field. ( I say in theory because we don't appear to practice ST.)

You just dont change the playbook over night. In sure those plays would have been fine w Jordan at guard. Big Fred has only been pulling guard for two weeks remember. Martez struggled when moved from tackle to guard for a few weeks also, but it still may be our best 5 (out of the current options).

So we don't have running plays where you just push the guy in front of you instead of pulling a guard? That is the point, we ran the pulling guard thing to failure in the first half at least twice. If you need a yard (in one of the cases in the 3rd quarter) just open a hole by pushing the guy in front of you. Don't get cute. Unless you are saying we have no plays where the line just pushes the guy out in front of him. But then the game film from the 4th quarter of UMASS, UK, and North Texas would disagree, because we did exactly that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Man, I dont know. Every time we ran an iso they had three backers in there, pretty much just like what happened vs Umass and NT.

There isnt much that works when your OL sucks.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Man, I dont know. Every time we ran an iso they had three backers in there, pretty much just like what happened vs Umass and NT.

There isnt much that works when your OL sucks.

A number of us have been saying we aren't going to have a competent line (not good, just decent), at the earliest next year. Every time we pulled 4 defenders were there. But with a athletic, seemingly strong qb and the backs we have.. I prefer to be stopped at the line, than three yards back because our pulling guard got in the way.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So we don't have running plays where you just push the guy in front of you instead of pulling a guard?
Those pulling guard plays are "supposed" to give you numbers to the side you're running at. Unfortunately, we seem to be unable to run the play ahead of the defenders streaking through the hole left by the guard that pulled. Also, we seem to have a tendency to use these long developing pulling guard plays when all we need is 1 yard. Like you, I can't for the life of me figure out why we can't just block straight ahead for a 1 yard play? Sneak the dang QB, or dive the HB, I don't care, but stop calling long, time consuming plays when we only need 1 dang yard. :facepalm:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Frickin Muschamp has 8 blue chippers for SC right now only one less than us and is 7th in the Rivals team rankings due to numbers. WTF - he is at SC with his terrible track record and is matching us right now in recruiting.
That alone should tell everyone what I've been trying to tell people for a year now. Most of this staff is "Pure Ass" on the trail and that isn't changing until we fire some of these bums and give Mac the money he needs to hire some elite coaches/recruiters. In this business you are only as good as the people who surround you and outside of Skipper/Dixon/Rumph/Gray we're ass! Those dudes can recruit yet they are having to recruit at multiple spots because guys like Summers/Nord/Collins/Shannon can't pull they're own weight. Them having to recruit like that is taking major time away from recruiting the guys they are supposed to be recruiting themselves. The whole situation is disaster right now and it's disappointing as hell!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Those pulling guard plays are "supposed" to give you numbers to the side you're running at. Unfortunately, we seem to be unable to run the play ahead of the defenders streaking through the hole left by the guard that pulled. Also, we seem to have a tendency to use these long developing pulling guard plays when all we need is 1 yard. Like you, I can't for the life of me figure out why we can't just block straight ahead for a 1 yard play? Sneak the dang QB, or dive the HB, I don't care, but stop calling long, time consuming plays when we only need 1 dang yard. :facepalm:

If we had a better line, and it wasn't 3rd and short... I'm all for pulling a linemen. We don't have that line. Keep it basic, and go forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator