Roper press conference notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
orange60;n65624 said:
Between Weis, Pease, and now Roper and of course Musty......the guy is so confused with 8 coaches in his ear .

Leak had what 3 OC's in his career at UF and he wasn't clueless out there. I blame the coaches most for leaving him out there however.

GatorFin

Jul 24, 2014
8 Driskel plays to 6 Harris is better than I would have thought. If that is first team reps.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n65593 said:
My God, we are doomed. Just flat-out doomed.

The biggest issue with Muschamp is his facade of arrogance. He has marginalized fans' concerns, scoffed at the media and stubbornly refused to accept that his vision of things is flawed. The fact is, he doesn't care about the fans at all, treating them as unwelcomed on-lookers who know nothing about football and have no right to question his authority. Like most with that mindset, the more he's proven wrong, the more he insists he's right. On and on it goes until he's spit out of the head coaching ranks and sent back to a coordinator's role, where someone with direct authority can reign him in.

And someone asked a week ago, why many of us seem to have this extreme dislike for him.

I hope he works out for us, because it will mean we're successful. If not, I would wish nothing but the worst for him career-wise. We hate on Meyer for the way he left. Why not hate on WM for the way he's stayed?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorFin;n65632 said:
8 Driskel plays to 6 Harris is better than I would have thought. If that is first team reps.

" That's 8 reps with Driskel and the first team, 6 reps for Harris and the second team. To be clear. Not 14 reps with the ones"

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n65634 said:
The biggest issue with Muschamp is his facade of arrogance. He has marginalized fans' concerns, scoffed at the media and stubbornly refused to accept that his vision of things is flawed. The fact is, he doesn't care about the fans at all, treating them as unwelcomed on-lookers who know nothing about football and have no right to question his authority. Like most with that mindset, the more he's proven wrong, the more he insists he's right. On and on it goes until he's spit out of the head coaching ranks and sent back to a coordinator's role, where someone with direct authority can reign him in.

And someone asked a week ago, why many of us seem to have this extreme dislike for him.

I hope he works out for us, because it will mean we're successful. If not, I would wish nothing but the worst for him career-wise. We hate on Meyer for the way he left. Why not hate on WM for the way he's stayed?

That is the reason most fans have an issue with him. Where Spurrier, Meyer, Hall, and Zook all seemed to have a transparency with them (even though in hidsight that transparency was bull$hit in some cases). Muschamp has been very combative with both the media and fans. When it comes to how the fans view him that is his greatest personal flaw. There is a tradition in Gainesville and at UF, and he goes against that.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n65603 said:
Kurt Roper said they've been pretty good in the run game, haven't been able to stay healthy, but guys have stepped up. Asked if they go to the run game a little more with Driskel struggling. "I think we've got a chance to a pretty good run team."

Tenn was probably going to do it anyway but all they have to do is load the box unless Driskel miraculously finds some accuracy on deep passes. I am starting to really feel nervous about this Tenn game.

Just because it is stacked doesn't mean you have to throw deep. Only the threat has to be there. The quick game works great against stacked box. Plenty of short/ intermediate routes JD can do. Have to play to our strengths.(unfortunately there aren't many)

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
orange60;n65619 said:
As everyone has finally figured out that Roper is not a real OC. He didn't call the plays @ Duke, Cutcliffe did, just like he did @Tenn. Roper couldn't call a square dance.

Dead wrong!

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Roper is a good OC. If Driskel had a little more on target with his deep passes this season so far, there would be a whole different vibe around here imo.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n65663 said:
I think Roper is a good OC. If Driskel had a little more on target with his deep passes this season so far, there would be a whole different vibe around here imo.

you are correct.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
I'll hang my hat on the 42.9% of the practice reps he's getting. Glimmer of hope.

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
just move the chains! we had 11 first downs in the whole game vs BAMA and 2 of 13 on 3rd down conversions. Kills our points and exhaust our D.

does let the punter do his thing

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n65607 said:
Not defending JD's play, but why would Roper come out and say "Yeah, Jeff sucks you internet guys are right"....?

He also said he doesn't think Harris is really ready. Guess we'll gloss over that one.

Gee, where have I heard that before, oh yeah 1987 when Galen Hall was asked why Emmitt Smith wasn't starting and then the following week after a loss, Smith went for 224 against Bama in his first start. I guess he needed 5 more days to be ready.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
One of two things are happening: (1) Roper is actually calling the offensive plays and its his to direct or (2) Muschamp keeps interceding and forcing Roper to call a series of plays based on some game dynamic. If it's (1) then Roper couldn't, as one poster already posted, "couldn't call a square dance." If it's (2) then it doesn't matter who the offensive coordinator is as Muschamp will doom the team with his unimaginative view of offense. Either way all of them have been VERY unimpressive. I've waited for a dynamic offense to show itself since Meyer's last year and we keep not only coming up dry but worse by the minute. Its time for a house cleaning as the rest the SEC has this coaching staff's numbers. I'm amazed there are still people out there who haven't figured that out.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n65586 said:
http://florida.247sports.com/Board/...-Kurt-Roper-press-conference-Sept-30-31615076

Thought people might be interested to read them.

I like this one

"Roper said the decision to pull a starting quarterback is up to the head coach. They went back and watched all third downs. 8 were on Driskel, 29 were solid as far as the execution. It's really a team thing, he said. Driskel is a tough-minded guy.

Asked how that conversation would go about changing starting quarterbacks, Roper said Will would initiate that conversation. "But again, we have 100 percent confidence that Jeff is the guy we can win games with."

Why just 3rd downs? I know they are important but lets not forget that you can get 1st downs on first and second down too. Those are when we would take a lot of shots down the field that Driskel wasn't even close with.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n65727 said:
Gee, where have I heard that before, oh yeah 1987 when Galen Hall was asked why Emmitt Smith wasn't starting and then the following week after a loss, Smith went for 224 against Bama in his first start. I guess he needed 5 more days to be ready.

the comparison is bad on position and player. Smith came in, and most people expected greatiness. Harris came in and expected him to hold Greir's bags. It is also easier to translate Running back compared to QB. I believe this is one of the issues most of us had with Mack Brown starting over Kelvin Taylor last year.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n65727 said:

Not quite the same.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kurt Roper said they've been pretty good in the run game, haven't been able to stay healthy, but guys have stepped up. Asked if they go to the run game a little more with Driskel struggling. "I think we've got a chance to a pretty good run team."

Doesn't sound like he's very confident in the passing game at all. Great.....THREE games into a new season with an new offensive coordinator that we've been so excited about and we're back to run, run, pass, punt.

:angry:

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
I
soflagator;n65634 said:

Hammer, meet nail. Excellent post. Inre his feelings toward the fans, let us not forget his adolescent display of combative behavior vs. the loud mouth fan at the UGA game last year. Of all of the gripes I have against Muschamp as head coach, it is his lack of emotional intelligence that bothers me the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.