Roper press conference notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is interesting...when a team plays well there are still things that can be improved. Often the fans don't see these things so easily because overall, things look good and the outcome is good. But when what you see on the field obviously sucks...and is the same old sh*t week in and week out...why do they keep polishing that turd as if we are not going to notice?

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds to me from the quotes here ( as I haven't yet read the article) that Roper is politely but clearly telling the fans that the play calling and QB choice are Will's not his. Agree with Ox, Fever, and Avatara. Agree with NCO that these statements help protect his career( hopefully.)

I would not expect him to throw Jeff under the bus. And saying Harris isn't really ready could be the wisest thing he can say under the circumstances.
If he says harris is ready, then he has publicly contradicted his immediate boss. Ready according to what standard?? a stringent one? a weak one?
Saying he is not ready does not preclude him being more ready than driskel or as ready as driskel. Maybe he is struggling with the midline?

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
I would think any major college Head Coach is annoyed by disgruntled fans telling him how they think he should run their team. I would hardly call it arrogant for the coach to think he understands the game and knows his team better than the casual fan. It only becomes an issue when you're not winning big.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jenny On The Railroad;n65769 said:
Sounds to me from the quotes here ( as I haven't yet read the article) that Roper is politely but clearly telling the fans that the play calling and QB choice are Will's not his. Agree with Ox, Fever, and Avatara. Agree with NCO that these statements help protect his career( hopefully.)

I would not expect him to throw Jeff under the bus. And saying Harris isn't really ready could be the wisest thing he can say under the circumstances.
If he says harris is ready, then he has publicly contradicted his immediate boss. Ready according to what standard?? a stringent one? a weak one?
Saying he is not ready does not preclude him being more ready than driskel or as ready as driskel. Maybe he is struggling with the midline?

He hasn't managed to "get a grip" on the entire play book.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
So many posts with which I agree. I was gong to name more, but there are too many. You can guess who you are. This, no doubt has some bearing on why I like this forum.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n65780 said:
I would think any major college Head Coach is annoyed by disgruntled fans telling him how they think he should run their team. I would hardly call it arrogant for the coach to think he understands the game and knows his team better than the casual fan. It only becomes an issue when you're not winning big.

Agreed. But I can't help but to feel that a QB who is not quite ready yet, still couldn't have done much worse than JD did against Bama. Hell, he'd flat out played like sh!!!t for 6 of the last 8 quarters. He had a good 2nd half against Kentucky and I was so friggin' happy about it. I was hoping that would carry over to Bama.

But of the last 2 games (1st half UK and all of Bama) he has had 6 quarters where he completed only 33% of his passes. That is terrible but I MIGHT be able to swallow that if he was lighting up the defense with his running ability. But THAT hasn't happened either. Whatever happened to what we were told all summer? A short count and chunk it. If no one is open after the 2nd read tuck it and run. That's what we were told ALL SUMMER.

We managed just 200 yards of offense against Bama and that's with all the turnovers. Even with a freshman QB and a limited playbook we should be able to at least match all of 200 yards, a 33% completion ration and 2 int's for 1 Td, like we saw against Bama. I have a hard time imagining TH couldn't at least match THOSE prolific numbers. What do we have to lose? He may as well get some experience. something else we were told all summer WOULD HAPPEN. And maybe, just maybe TH has that "it" factor. That intangible quality that few leaders possess. And hey, if he inexplicably manages to connect on less than 33% of his passes and throw for less than 100 yards then we can always go back to JD>

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Alagator;n65801 said:
Agreed. But I can't help but to feel that a QB who is not quite ready yet, still couldn't have done much worse than JD did against Bama. Hell, he'd flat out played like sh!!!t for 6 of the last 8 quarters. He had a good 2nd half against Kentucky and I was so friggin' happy about it. I was hoping that would carry over to Bama.

But of the last 2 games (1st half UK and all of Bama) he has had 6 quarters where he completed only 33% of his passes. That is terrible but I MIGHT be able to swallow that if he was lighting up the defense with his running ability. But THAT hasn't happened either. Whatever happened to what we were told all summer? A short count and chunk it. If no one is open after the 2nd read tuck it and run. That's what we were told ALL SUMMER.

We managed just 200 yards of offense against Bama and that's with all the turnovers. Even with a freshman QB and a limited playbook we should be able to at least match all of 200 yards, a 33% completion ration and 2 int's for 1 Td, like we saw against Bama. I have a hard time imagining TH couldn't at least match THOSE prolific numbers. What do we have to lose? He may as well get some experience. something else we were told all summer WOULD HAPPEN. And maybe, just maybe TH has that "it" factor. That intangible quality that few leaders possess. And hey, if he inexplicably manages to connect on less than 33% of his passes and throw for less than 100 yards then we can always go back to JD>

I wonder if it comes down to all those glowing reports of JD from fall camp. Maybe he looked good against our secondary. But fact is Jeff's decision making has been poor in both the run and pass game. I hope they have a package that Harris can run against TN. I want to see what the kid has. I can't make glowing proclamations based on the two passes I've seen other than it looked like the correct decision on both throws.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Coach9;n65780 said:

Well, your last statement is correct. At this stage, he hasn't earned the right to talk down to fans and act arrogantly. Nearly every week, a new UF record is falling in embarrassing fashion, on his watch. Comments like the "midline", "get a grip"(in the midst of a 4 win season, no less), and now the "few negative fans" are absurd. I may be a small booster, but my money contributes to his salary. And I have every right to question whether a guy who's lost 16 games in 3 seasons is actually qualified to do his job. If he doesn't like being questioned, he can wither win or kindly get out. It's really that simple.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n65819 said:
I wonder if it comes down to all those glowing reports of JD from fall camp.
Come on, coach! The glowing reports came from the same damn people who write glowing reports every year.

Did you really fall for that?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Champ is just a garden-variety control freak ass hat. I can draw no other conclusion from his stubborn inability to change

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;65838 said:
I know Ox is trying to find new ideas for growing this Gator community + Alvin. Do you have any ideas on how to increase the female presence?
More photos of me would help. I'm very attractive.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Gatoravatara;n65838 said:
Originally posted by Jenny On The Railroad View Post
So many posts with which I agree. I was gong to name more, but there are too many. You can guess who you are. This, no doubt has some bearing on why I like this forum.

I know Ox is trying to find new ideas for growing this Gator community + Alvin. Do you have any ideas on how to increase the female presence?

I have a couple:

1. Delete posts that use the word vagina as a synonym for incompetence and weakness.
2. Stop with the big-titty avatars. I don't care how you spend your sexy-time, this is sports.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n65825 said:
Well, your last statement is correct. At this stage, he hasn't earned the right to talk down to fans and act arrogantly. Nearly every week, a new UF record is falling in embarrassing fashion, on his watch. Comments like the "midline", "get a grip"(in the midst of a 4 win season, no less), and now the "few negative fans" are absurd. I may be a small booster, but my money contributes to his salary. And I have every right to question whether a guy who's lost 16 games in 3 seasons is actually qualified to do his job. If he doesn't like being questioned, he can wither win or kindly get out. It's really that simple.

Well as far as I am concerned nobody has the right to talk down to fans or act arrogantly. So what if you really know best showing off is not acceptable especially when the people pay your salary and support your team.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n65862 said:
More photos of me would help. I'm very attractive.

I wonder if a series of educational posts especially focused on female fans would be a decent idea, sort of like what UF does in person. I do know many females that think football is just about being big and strong, we know better.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n65615 said:
Fever, stop reporting about what he said. Start reporting on his body language.

What was he wearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.