Rumors on Will Grier

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
I am still mad at Grier but his leaving would make things worse. Yes he killed this season and hurt first half of next season. But it's hard to imagine his Gator career over. In reality they can't afford to lose him.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I've heard this rationale repetitively and it makes zero sense to me.
That doesn't surprise me...you're an idiot and you always have been.

His situation from a purely playing standpoint (which is precisely the rationale here) is no different than a kid using a redshirt. Do all redshirts not attend or participate in practice b/c they cant help us on the field that season? If so, I'll willingly recant but I'm pretty sure they do. Also, there are guys that arent redshirting and are practicing but will never see the field and everyone including them know it. So, purely from a practice standpoint, again, why would you not want a better QB on the scout team to continue to stress and improve the defense week in and week out?

His situation is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT from a redshirt player. The UF COACHES determine if a kid will redshirt or not and THE UF COACHES can choose to put on or pull off a player the redshirt any time they like. The UF COACHES can put a potential redshirt candidate into a game at any time THEY CHOOSE if that player is needed because: other player(s) in front of the redshirt candidate at a particular position get hurt/fail out of school/quit the team/etc. That is why a a redshirt isn't typically finalized until the end of the season...if the coach needs to burn the redshirt the last week of the season for any reason he can CHOOSE to do so. THE NCAA has determined that NO MATTER how many of our QBs other than Grier get hurt/fail out/quit the team/etc. nor NO MATER HOW BADLY THE UF COACHES WANT TO PUT him into a game, Will Grier WILL NOT BE PLAYING for the remainder of this season NOR will he be playing the first 6 games of next season, plain and simple. Putting Grier on the scout team knowing that scout team players get the **** beat out of them by the scholarship players, makes no sense. You don't risk injuring and possibly ending the career of a player like Grier by putting him on the scout team. The scout team is full...full of the guys that you referenced above...guys that practice knowing they will never see the field. If you want to see Grier make a beeline for the withdrawal line from UF to transfer to another school, you want to know the quickest way to make that happen...PUT HIM ON THE SCOUT TEAM!

I'd ask you if this now makes sense to you, but I doubt it does...so I won't bother.

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he stays. He's good. We need him.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I think you're misunderstanding the "Fresh Start" theory. It's not that anyone is saying we think he should go to get a fresh start, we're saying, or at least I'm saying, it's such a bizarre situation here that it wouldn't be surprising if he wanted to go somewhere where he didn't have history to get a fresh start. I'm hoping like hell he wants to stay and see what happens when he is eligible again, but I could completely understand if he felt the best path for him was a fresh start.

And you really lost me with how he would be "an absolute fool" to leave. I'm pretty sure his goals are to bag skanks and to play college ball as a means to play in the NFL. There is nothing particularly special that only UF can offer him to obtain those objectives. There are coeds and cougars everywhere, and the NFL doesn't give 2 sh*ts where you played in college as long as you can play.

Like Divits, I can't figure out the logic of him leaving. He has invested nearly two years in the system. He was having success. There is no clear starter in his absence, and he has to be favorite to start when he gets back. His competition is Treon, who just sucks, a QB who has transferred twice, was 3rd string at Bama and hasn't played a down at UF, or one of more true freshman. That is a better situation than he is going to get in most places, plus he'd lose the remainder of next year as eligibility...I think.

For all those who are saying he should leave, they will quickly be back on board if we are sucking at QB and he comes back and has one good game.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Grier's only been in the system 1 year. Mac was hired around this time last year. I still think he should stay.

Anyone else think the media is pushing a story that may not be there?

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
I think Grier should stay and compete for a job next year with whomever we've got going forward. The Del Rio kid will be in the mix and no telling which or either of these 4* and 5* guys will actually come.

My biggest concern with Grier is that he has proven to be a developing QB, yes, but he's also proven to be pretty stupid in his choices with whatever he took. I'd be concerned as to "what's next"?

Hopefully he's learned and will think before he acts next time. Kids, people make mistakes, but geeeeeeze. Learn and move forward.

we will still need multiple QB's to get thru a season

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grier's only been in the system 1 year. Mac was hired around this time last year. I still think he should stay.

Anyone else think the media is pushing a story that may not be there?

Media driven? I thought it was simply message board fodder.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
I think he stays unless Eason flips and becomes a Gator. If Eason is as good as advertised he would have all spring and summer to learn the system and potentially 6 starts next year. If he's playing well, Grier could have possibly played his last down.
With that said I hope the kid stays, as the roster stands right now he's our best hope.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he stays as well. Even with these incoming freshmen it will be a tough task getting them game ready. Lord knows it can't be worse than we have right now. Also I hope Grier realizes that QB's are one play or a suspension from being thrust into action. Grier should know that he stands a great shot to pick right up where he left off.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Mac is the aw shucks kid...it's ok. You made a mistake. All is forgiven. Mac wants to win and being held hostage by that suspension isnt good. I think Mac rolls with a new QB next year. IF said QB is 6-0 then Grier is SOL.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Mac is the aw shucks kid...it's ok. You made a mistake. All is forgiven. Mac wants to win and being held hostage by that suspension isnt good. I think Mac rolls with a new QB next year. IF said QB is 6-0 then Grier is SOL.

I think you're right about this. But I don't think anyone here thinks he would just get put back into the role, I believe most people correctly think he'd have to earn it back.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think you're right about this. But I don't think anyone here thinks he would just get put back into the role, I believe most people correctly think he'd have to earn it back.

Honestly, I don't think he'll have the chance unless our QB'ing just flat out sucks next year. Again, it is just my opinion but I think he's done here. He really let the team down. Apologies aside...I just don't think he's a leader of men/boys at this point. Yeah, it sucks but he did too much damage. He cost two sets of SRs/JRs a chance at competing for an SEC championship. We were relying on him and he let a lot of people down.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I don't think he'll have the chance unless our QB'ing just flat out sucks next year. Again, it is just my opinion but I think he's done here. He really let the team down. Apologies aside...I just don't think he's a leader of men/boys at this point. Yeah, it sucks but he did too much damage. He cost two sets of SRs/JRs a chance at competing for an SEC championship. We were relying on him and he let a lot of people down.

I wouldn't write him off yet, but I can see how folks could lean that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator