Seider Replaced by Larry Scott

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Sure, that's one of many ways to look at it.

If you'll notice, I follow coaching hires regularly. And the one thing I've noticed is that coaches like Saban, Meyer, and Swinney (among others) go outside their "tree" for many hires. Meyer didn't hire a single coach who was on his UF staff when he took the OSU job. Saban, if I'm not mistaken, hired only one coach who was w/ him at LSU when he took the Alabama job. Swinney doesn't really have a deep "tree", but he brings in coaches he has no connection with to fill positions (he offered Chris Rumph last year the DL job).

IMO, he brought enough of his MSU staff w/ him. I liked that he kept Seider, as Seider has a diverse background and has worked w/ some good offensive minds (namely Dana Holgersen). If he hires Looney, after not bringing him to UF initially....AND the new MSU coach not retaining him, I'll be surprised. I'd rather he bring in a younger up-and-comer or a veteran coach that can bring some new ideas.

Understood, but I'm not freaking out over it. Hey, the HC candidate pool isn't looking particularly deep. Perhaps the TE coach pool is a trickle. I'd bring in a young guy who has a decent resume at the position (Looney was an OL at MSU and has coached OL/TE for 5 years and achieved in each one). BTW...he was a GA under Kirby in '16 as well...that experience might prove a plus on the field.

Early 30's, black (yeah, I played that card), by all accounts a pretty dynamic personality. Intelligent (served as president of SAC at MSU as an undergrad). We don't know the dynamics of the UF/MSU position issues. Perhaps he was interested in taking the OL job and it got filled. Maybe he and Moorehead didn't hit it off. And if it's YOU as CDM, do you punt Seider in order to fill the spot with Looney? Bottom line is both Seider and Looney were probably in line for that 10th assistant position, and Mullen probably needed Seider more at the time (early signing period).

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Too bad. I was looking forward to see what a real coach could do with the TEs on roster. Hopefully Mullen has someone lined up who is better than Nord.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is a hit. I don't think it is a surprise since they moved him away from RBs. I don't think he was excited to coach TEs.

Mullen has hired a lot of his former Miss. St guys so I expect somebody else that he knows and trusts. This Knox guy better be good... because the only position group that performed last year were the RBs and that was Seider's group. Then you add in that he is a very good recruiter and is most likely going to Penn State where he can and probably will pull some Florida kids...

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I wonder if the psu coach is doing this now in hopes of swaying some state of Fla recruits.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Replacing Seider, a good guy, is an opportunity. Go get an equal or better one.
Loved to see a "Gator-Great" like Cornelius Ingram, provided he's stellar at coaching. He's been HC at his alma mater Hawthorne High for 3 years.??
Youre sucking laughing gas again if you think we are going to land an elite coach like Seider.

Yes, a high schoolish position coach is more likely.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
More confirmation as if we needed it.

@Anthony_Becht: OFFICIAL: HUGE pull by Coach Franklin and @PennStateFball to get former Gator RB coach JaJuan Seider. Strikes gold w/ one of the state of Florida’s best recruiters. Big loss for HC Mullen and #GatorNation

@Brett_McMurphy: Florida RB coach JaJuan Seider taking same position at Penn State according to @Anthony_Becht

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yup, I said at the time this was a dumbf vck move.....Mullin pushed him out basically. Your boy better be good Mullet.....we're watching.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Your boy better be good Mullet.....we're watching.
Yeah.... THIS.

I usually hear Seider listed with the elite position coaches. Ive never even heard of Mullinz boy.

He better be a great coach and an elite recruiter... just to hold serve.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yawn. Meaningless. If Mullen does his job as head coach, I'm not worried about his assistants. At all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator