SOS on Nuss?

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
From Zach's latest article, here's SOS on helping the offense:

"An offense is more than just a quarterback,” he said. “How many times when I was coaching here did you say we didn’t have a quarterback? We never said that. I don’t believe in saying that. Sometimes you’ve got to get guys open, you’ve got to protect the quarterback, he’s got to throw it at the right time, he comes open at the right time and away you go. So, sometimes, it’s not always (about) the quarterback. Let’s get some guys open, let’s run the ball, let’s mix it up and things of that nature. We need to do all those things better, I think, this coming year, too.”

I love having SOS as a resource. I'll take him over Bama having Sark, that's for damn sure. Frankly, this is how any great organization should work: the best people working together as a team.

However, and I'm not arguing either side, the last 2 sentences are high octane fuel for anyone arguing that Nuss isn't getting it done. If you don't like Nuss you gotta be all over this, right?
What is this "mix it up" of which he speaks? :dunno:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The man.

spurrier1.jpeg

Spurrier_Runs_It_Up.gif

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Wow, I stand corrected. With a 4 - 4 record now sure how he was freshman All SEC ...
I bet he was the only Fr QBs in the SEC who played much/any.

Anyone who says Treon was even an average SEC QB is flat wrong. He was awful. He got some mileage from chucking bombs up for grabs, but he was atrocious.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When every QB and every offense you touch ends up 110th, the problem isn't the kids.

GatorAuthor

Feb 24, 2016
Yeah, I agree basically. Obviously Chimp's thin recruiting on offense and total lack of OL recruiting is evident. Treon is obviously a very flawed guy yet he still was freshman AllSEC. Technically, Chimp left 3 QBs, Drisktard wasnt gone yet.

My point was not that Chimp was great, good, or even acceptable--of course--merely that Butters' roster isnt clearly better at some positions (WR and RB) and is clearly worse at some positions (ie QB).
QBs are worse than the situation he inherited? That's nutty. Maybe if you hang your hat on a single QB (Grier) and you blame Mac for Grier doing PEDs. Counting Driskell or Treon? You cannot be serious.

Are there any QBs on the roster that WM left for Mac? No, so he had zilch to start with, but the situation isn't improving?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The situation is no different than it was in Meatchicken, or in Bammer. No matter the talent, Nusschamp is an abject failure.

But yes, the QBs are clearly worse than Grier and Treon.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
QBs are worse than the situation he inherited? That's nutty. Maybe if you hang your hat on a single QB (Grier) and you blame Mac for Grier doing PEDs. Counting Driskell or Treon? You cannot be serious.

Are there any QBs on the roster that WM left for Mac? No, so he had zilch to start with, but the situation isn't improving?

Well he did let a QB get away that went on to throw for 4,000 yards and 27 TDs that season. :D

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
That's chock full of silly. First and foremost, most of you would claim Wuerffel was terrible. He had a 40 time of probably 5.0, maybe worse after a few hundreds hits and w earing those gigantic knee braces and rib and back shell he wore as the damage mounted. He also had a weak arm and threw pretty much a rainbow on every pass. He didnt practice well by all accounts and struggled mightily as a rs freshman. Frankly, Morningwheg looked very similar to me. And yet, we won.

Shane was similiar. Hardly a rocket arm but admittedly faster. When we had a ball control coach, Shane was 5th string.

Rex was a no name who was brought in for depth for Brock Berlin, Mr Football. An afterthought.

And yet, SOS developed them. He didnt beyotch or send out his parrots to make excuses about not landing the Payton Mannings of the world.

SOS also won with FatDog Noah Brindise, a walkon, and Jesse Fabulous Hair Palmer, essentially a walkon, a guy who had only played club football in Canada bc his high school didnt have a team.

Ball control coaches always have the same problem. They are too damn timid to open upnthe offense.

While I agree with your sentiment about developing the available QBs on the roster, you're incorrect on some of the particulars. Wuerffel was the top rated high school player in Florida as a high school senior. Every school wanted him. He also didn't struggle mightily as a redshirt freshman. His completion % numbers were better his freshman year compared to his senior year. He had a very good first year, nothing remotely close to the Morningwood comparison you made. I also think you're confusing his practice issues with those of Grossman. Spurrier commented on Grossman not being great in practice but to my knowledge that was never an issue with Danny. Not sure if they had star rankings in the early 90s but Danny would have been a 5 star if they did.

Speaking of Rex, he wasn't an afterthought or a no name like you said. He was one of the top 10 QBs in the country as a high school senior and a Parade All American and most likely a 5 star recruit. The guy had a gun and everybody that saw his film knew it.

GatorAuthor

Feb 24, 2016
The situation is no different than it was in Meatchicken, or in Bammer. No matter the talent, Nusschamp is an abject failure.

But yes, the QBs are clearly worse than Grier and Treon.
Nobody argues Grier, but he took himself out of the equation. Selfish guy who let everyone down. Can't blame Mac for that.

Treon? He was awful. Thousands of posts, but you really don't know anything about football (or didn't watch him play). If nothing else, you're good at hating everything and intentionally misquoting people. Stick to that bc citing Treon is a joke.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
In 2015, Mac had an All SEC QB (Treon)

There is a huge difference between All SEC and Freshman All SEC. Treon was not an All SEC QB. He didn't make the All SEC team, 1st or 2nd team. Those honors went to Dak Prescott and Blake Sims in 2014.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do we have a freshman All SEC returning this? Didnt think so.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
is this some fckn alternative universe where :law: is arguing with somebody in Georgia about Treon being a good QB at some point. I guess if he can defend the POtuS all the time now anything is possible,

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
While I agree with your sentiment about developing the available QBs on the roster, you're incorrect on some of the particulars. Wuerffel was the top rated high school player in Florida as a high school senior. Every school wanted him. He also didn't struggle mightily as a redshirt freshman. His completion % numbers were better his freshman year compared to his senior year. He had a very good first year, nothing remotely close to the Morningwood comparison you made. I also think you're confusing his practice issues with those of Grossman. Spurrier commented on Grossman not being great in practice but to my knowledge that was never an issue with Danny. Not sure if they had star rankings in the early 90s but Danny would have been a 5 star if they did.

Speaking of Rex, he wasn't an afterthought or a no name like you said. He was one of the top 10 QBs in the country as a high school senior and a Parade All American and most likely a 5 star recruit. The guy had a gun and everybody that saw his film knew it.

Swamp Donk was so far off in his post that I'm embarrassed for him and the sheeple who liked it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody argues Grier, but he took himself out of the equation. Selfish guy who let everyone down. Can't blame Mac for that.

Mac ran him off. I can blame mac for telling him to transfer.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
is this some fckn alternative universe where :law: is arguing with somebody in Georgia about Treon being a good QB at some point. I guess if you can defend the POtuS all the time now anything is possible,
Don't try to turn this into a PF thread. It's football - much better.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016

Actually Wuerffel was not a good practice player. Spurrier said so on multiple occasions. But he always played great in games.

And Rex was an afterthought in the beginning. That's because there was another guy named Brock Berlin who everyone thought might be the best QB under Spurrier at the time. Rex was expected to be a good solid backup QB, but Brock was going to take the reins. We know what happened. Go Gators.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Swamp Donk was so
Actually Wuerffel was not a good practice player. Spurrier said so on multiple occasions. But he always played great in games.

And Rex was an afterthought in the beginning. That's because there was another guy named Brock Berlin who everyone thought might be the best QB under Spurrier at the time. Rex was expected to be a good solid backup QB, but Brock was going to take the reins. We know what happened. Go Gators.

As I said, Grossman was Parade All American and the 8th rated QB as a high school senior, certainly not a no name nor an afterthought to anybody. He certainly wasn't an afterthought to Brock Berlin when Rex signed with the Gators. That would have been pretty tough...AS BROCK BERLIN DIDN'T SIGN WITH FLORIDA UNTIL 10 MONTHS AFTER GROSSMAN DID. You and Swonky are flat out wrong on this whole Grossman/Berlin situation when you say Grossman was brought in to be the Plan B to Berlin. That would be impossible with the sequence of events of when they each signed with the Gators.

I also said Spuurrier said Grossman wasn't a good practice player but that I didn't recall him saying that about Danny. Here is a link to his comments on Grossman. If you have something that shows he said it about Danny, too, please post. While he may have said so, I don't ever recall hearing that.

http://www.si.com/vault/2001/11/19/...-second-year-player-to-win-the-heisman-trophy

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Swamp Donk was so far off in his post that I'm embarrassed for him and the sheeple who liked it.

I know. He posts some good stuff but this wasn't his finest moment, especially when considering that Grossman graduated high school before Berlin did and signed with UF almost a year before Berlin enrolled at UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.