SOS on Nuss?

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
As I said, Grossman was Parade All American and the 8th rated QB as a high school senior, certainly not a no name nor an afterthought to anybody. He certainly wasn't an afterthought to Brock Berlin when Rex signed with the Gators. That would have been pretty tough...AS BROCK BERLIN DIDN'T SIGN WITH FLORIDA UNTIL 10 MONTHS AFTER GROSSMAN DID. You and Swonky are flat out wrong on this whole Grossman/Berlin situation when you say Grossman was brought in to be the Plan B to Berlin. That would be impossible with the sequence of events of when they each signed with the Gators.

I also said Spuurrier said Grossman wasn't a good practice player but that I didn't recall him saying that about Danny. Here is a link to his comments on Grossman. If you have something that shows he said it about Danny, too, please post. While he may have said so, I don't ever recall hearing that.

http://www.si.com/vault/2001/11/19/...-second-year-player-to-win-the-heisman-trophy

Good lord, man. Just Google it. I'm not going to waste my time proving what I know was true. Look at my username for goodness sake. That era of Gator football I know better than any including today. Why does everyone always have to be right all the time on a message board? Argue all you want. I'm right on this one.

And yes, Rex signed before Brock. But with Palmer starting at first, once we got Brock, most fans THOUGHT Rex would be a backup. Obviously that was not the case, because he played so well from the get go, he caused Brock to transfer.

FWIW, I wasn't going to say anything until you called out Swamp Donkey's facts when it was your "facts" that made YOU look like the donkey.

By all means, keep digging your own grave.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Good lord, man. Just Google it. I'm not going to waste my time proving what I know was true. Look at my username for goodness sake. That era of Gator football I know better than any including today. Why does everyone always have to be right all the time on a message board? Argue all you want. I'm right on this one.

And yes, Rex signed before Brock. But with Palmer starting at first, once we got Brock, most fans THOUGHT Rex would be a backup. Obviously that was not the case, because he played so well from the get go, he caused Brock to transfer.

By all means, keep digging your own grave.

Good God, you're retarded. The original comment was that Grossman was brought in as depth for Berlin which is impossible as Berlin didn't commit to UF UNTIL AFTER Grossman was already enrolled. And nobody is talking about what the FANS THOUGHT would happen between Grosman and Berlin...the original statement was focused on the coaching ability of Spurrier and how he could coach up QBs. Furthermore, it was actually Berlin who was brought in to push Grossman. Grossman was partying, wasn't focused on practice (see my other statement about Spurrier questioning his practice habits) and Spurrier continued to sign QBs to keep him on his toes. I, too, know that era of Gator football better than any other, and I'm not wrong on this.

Regarding the practice statement and Danny, I already Googled it and nothing came up. If you have it, post it. I'd like to see it as I don't remember that ever being said (although it's possible it was said about Danny in addition to Rex). I posted the article with Spurrier's statements about Rex, which backs up what I said. If you have something that shows those comments being made about Danny then post it...what with you being right about this as you say. Comical that you're making statements questioning everybody always having to be right when you're doing that very thing in the face of overwhelming information that shows you to be wrong. You should probably stop digging your own grave; or better yet, keep talking BS and keep digging your own grave, I don't give a fcvk.

*EDIT*- I saw your edit about calling SD out on his facts and saying my facts are wrong...but when it comes to replying to this post of mine all I hear from you is crickets. By all means, tell me which facts I'm wrong on. I posted a link to an article that backs up the comments I said Spurrier made about Rex, it's indisputable that I'm correct that Rex wasn't brought in to provide depth for Berlin and you've yet to post anything that shows SOS said Danny wasn't a good practice player, WHICH BY THE WAY, I NEVER STATED WITH CERTAINTY THAT I AM CORRECT ON THAT RATHER I THINK SWAMP DONKEY WAS CONFUSING DANNY WITH GROSSMAN.

And for what it's worth, I didn't even call Swonky out in a bad way as I stated in this thread that I agreed with the general principle of his post but thought he was incorrect about a few of the specifics and that he posts some good stuff on this board. *EDIT END*

Last edited:

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Good God, you're retarded. The original comment was that Grossman was brought in as depth for Berlin which is impossible as Berlin didn't commit to UF UNTIL AFTER Grossman was already enrolled. And nobody is talking about what the FANS THOUGHT would happen between Grosman and Berlin...the original statement was focused on the coaching ability of Spurrier and how he could coach up QBs. Furthermore, it was actually Berlin who was brought in to push Grossman. Grossman was partying, wasn't focused on practice (see my other statement about Spurrier questioning his practice habits) and Spurrier continued to sign QBs to keep him on his toes. I, too, know that era of Gator football better than any other, and I'm not wrong on this.

Regarding the practice statement and Danny, I already Googled it and nothing came up. If you have it, post it. I'd like to see it as I don't remember that ever being said (although it's possible it was said about Danny in addition to Rex). I posted the article with Spurrier's statements about Rex, which backs up what I said. If you have something that shows those comments being made about Danny then post it...what with you being right about this as you say. Comical that you're making statements questioning everybody always having to be right when you're doing that very thing in the face of overwhelming information that shows you to be wrong. You should probably stop digging your own grave; or better yet, keep talking BS and keep digging your own grave, I don't give a fcvk.

*EDIT*- I saw your edit about calling SD out on his facts and saying my facts are wrong...but when it comes to replying to this post of mine all I hear from you is crickets. By all means, tell me which facts I'm wrong on. I posted a link to an article that backs up the comments I said Spurrier made about Rex, it's indisputable that I'm correct that Rex wasn't brought in to provide depth for Berlin and you've yet to post anything that shows SOS said Danny wasn't a good practice player, WHICH BY THE WAY, I NEVER STATED WITH CERTAINTY THAT I AM CORRECT ON THAT RATHER I THINK SWAMP DONKEY WAS CONFUSING DANNY WITH GROSSMAN.

And for what it's worth, I didn't even call Swonky out in a bad way as I stated in this thread that I agreed with the general principle of his post but thought he was incorrect about a few of the specifics and that he posts some good stuff on this board. *EDIT END*

Man, we sure get mean on this board. Now I'm retarded. Awesome.

Anyway, all I found was a passage from Wuerffel's book Tales From The Gator Swamp that says:

"Coach Spurrier used to say if you watched Danny Wuerffel in warm-ups, you'd think he couldn't play a lick.”

And another from the book Quotable Spurrier about Wuerffel:

"When he warms up before the game, sometimes he's not all that impressive. But when the game starts, that's when he's at his best."

I couldn't find anything else online, but I remember watching footage when they elaborated on that and talked about him looking poor in practice sometimes too, but that he played lights out when the games started.

As for Rex, all that I was saying was that one, he wasn't expected to unseat Jesse Palmer so quickly as Palmer was a veteran and was considered the best QB out of Canada (I know, Canada...not saying much there) and two, he wasn't expected to keep his job once Brock Berlin came. But he did both and easily I might add.

And forgive me for taking the time to reply. We all have lives outside of a message board.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Man, we sure get mean on this board. Now I'm retarded. Awesome.

Anyway, all I found was a passage from Wuerffel's book Tales From The Gator Swamp that says:

"Coach Spurrier used to say if you watched Danny Wuerffel in warm-ups, you'd think he couldn't play a lick.”

And another from the book Quotable Spurrier about Wuerffel:

"When he warms up before the game, sometimes he's not all that impressive. But when the game starts, that's when he's at his best."

I couldn't find anything else online, but I remember watching footage when they elaborated on that and talked about him looking poor in practice sometimes too, but that he played lights out when the games started.

As for Rex, all that I was saying was that one, he wasn't expected to unseat Jesse Palmer so quickly as Palmer was a veteran and was considered the best QB out of Canada (I know, Canada...not saying much there) and two, he wasn't expected to keep his job once Brock Berlin came. But he did both and easily I might add.

And forgive me for taking the time to reply. We all have lives outside of a message board.

Yeah, I guess you're right on the retarded comment. That was too harsh, sorry about that. This is the article I posted above. If you haven't had time to read, check it out when you have 5 minutes. It's a very good read, tells the story of how Rex had to pursue the Gators since we didn't go into Indy to recruit. I remembered this story from years ago. Anyway, the article said that Spurrier fell in love with Rex as a prospect the day they met, said Rex had the quickest release of any UF QB he had coached. The scholly offer came a few weeks later. Make of that what you will.

http://www.si.com/vault/2001/11/19/...-second-year-player-to-win-the-heisman-trophy

Last edited:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Yeah, I guess you're right on the retarded comment. That was too harsh, sorry about that. This is the article I posted above. If you haven't had time to read, check it out when you have 5 minutes. It's a very good read, tells the story of how Rex had to pursue the Gators since we didn't go into Indy to recruit. I remembered this story from years ago. Anyway, the article said that Spurrier fell in love with Rex as a prospect the day they met, said Rex had the quickest release of any UF QB he had coached. The scholly offer came a few weeks later. Make of that what you will.

I remember reading as Rex was on the rise that he was the only player SOS ever offered based solely on tape. SOS never even saw Rex in person until after he had accepted the offer.

Last edited:

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016

Thanks for sharing. Man I miss those days. That's when football was fun. I wonder if we'll ever have a good QB who can actually zip the ball again...

Fingers crossed that one of the newbies surprises me. Go Gators.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I cant even fathom this staff ever adding two QBs like Berlin and Grossman.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I remember reading as Rex was on the rise that he was the only player SOS ever offered based solely on tape. SOS never even saw Rex in person until after he had accepted the offer.
I thought Jesse P was only seen on tape. And I think ShaneM was famous for not being a practice player so his dad came down and told SOS he was a real gamer when the lights came on.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I thought Jesse P was only seen on tape. And I think ShaneM was famous for not being a practice player so his dad came down and told SOS he was a real gamer when the lights came on.
Never heard that, but if so, I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator