SOURCES: Coaching rumors Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I threw out a list of a bunch of top flight superbowl winning coaches a few pages back just for fun last night.

But one would actually make sense. Steve Mariucci has a lot of college coaching experience. Was a pretty successful NFL coach with the 49ers and has stayed somewhat current with high scool recruits by holding a couple of camps and coaching the Under Armor All American game for the past few years. He's only 59 and looks 49. He's available immediately.

So if I can get a concensus here on GCMB I'll call Foley and have him pull the trigger.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I just heard from my sources.. after reading the message boards and realizing that there is no hire that will make everybody happy... Foley has decided to retain Muschamp until a candidate can be found that will make everybody on GCMB happy (even Law!)...

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
GatorTAG;n111157 said:
I threw out a list of a bunch of top flight superbowl winning coaches a few pages back just for fun last night.

But one would actually make sense. Steve Mariucci has a lot of college coaching experience. Was a pretty successful NFL coach with the 49ers and has stayed somewhat current with high scool recruits by holding a couple of camps and coaching the Under Armor All American game for the past few years. He's only 59 and looks 49. He's available immediately.

So if I can get a concensus here on GCMB I'll call Foley and have him pull the trigger.
I had actually thought of him because of the Under Armour games

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
GatorTAG;n111157 said:

407.gif

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n111159 said:
I just heard from my sources.. after reading the message boards and realizing that there is no hire that will make everybody happy... Foley has decided to retain Muschamp until a candidate can be found that will make everybody on GCMB happy (even Law!)...

I guess we will never have a new coach until Muschamp dies, then it will be the son of Muschamp.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
GIGator;n111117 said:
Shanahan isn't going to be our next coach. Foley is not going to risk his legacy on someone that hasn't been active and winning. This is the "hire of Folley's career" and you can bet that it's going to be a coach Gator Nation, as a whole and the college football world will respect and support. Shanahan is a good coach, but, he's not what Foley and Gator Nation needs, right now.

How exactly is Shanahan a worse hire or a bigger gamble that Ron Zook or Will Muschamp? Again I am not campaigning for Shanahan, but I just don't understand the attitude that this guy is horrible.

Secondly, who is the candidate that Gator Nation as a whole is going to respect and support? I am dumbfounded that there would even be controversy about SOS returning, but apparently there is. I think what will win the support and respect of Gator Nation is coming in here and winning some ball games and having a competent looking offense.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n111174 said:
So I've got a yes from Creepy Rob Lowe and a no from the dog licking himself.

Yes - 2
No - 1

Anybody else?

I wouldn't hate this hire...not my first or fifth choice, but still above some of the names (Petrino, Kiffin) I have seen.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
GatorTAG;n111174 said:

Yes - 2
No - 1

Anybody else?
If the vote fails we can go down to the rec center and watch folks swim to ease your mind.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Ray Finkle;n111178 said:
If the vote fails we can go down to the rec center and watch folks swim to ease your mind.
Only if you shave your arm hair curtains.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
GatorTAG;n111174 said:

Yes - 2
No - 1

Anybody else?

Actually she just ate a bulldog.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n111175 said:
How exactly is Shanahan a worse hire or a bigger gamble that Ron Zook or Will Muschamp? Again I am not campaigning for Shanahan, but I just don't understand the attitude that this guy is horrible.

Secondly, who is the candidate that Gator Nation as a whole is going to respect and support? I am dumbfounded that there would even be controversy about SOS returning, but apparently there is. I think what will win the support and respect of Gator Nation is coming in here and winning some ball games and having a competent looking offense.

I'm waiting to hear what Shanny has done lately? That's like a Dave Wannstadt hire at Pitt. I want someone young and innovative. What has Shanny done recently? Please fill me in.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
T REX;n111191 said:
I'm waiting to hear what Shanny has done lately? That's like a Dave Wannstadt hire at Pitt. I want someone young and innovative. What has Shanny done recently? Please fill me in.

It does have that feel. I remember Pitt fans being thrilled by this hire, while everyone else was shaking their head. We glorify these career NFL guys too much because it seems like if they have even modest success at that level, it should translate into wild success at this one. I just don't see it. I'd be supportive and excited for a new era, but nothing comparable to '90 or '05.

Honestly, these last few pages are exactly why I was pulling so hard for WM to win out. I'm not a fan of his, and have been pretty vocal about that. But change, merely for the sake of change, with no clear cut massive upgrade in place, worries me. Again, it's not that I think WM was the solution, but maybe another year would've opened up a few more candidates. We're here now. But I'd absolutely take McElwain or Hudspeth over LK and Shanahan. Just me.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Something that I've been thinking about is how the players love Muschamp. They say he's like a father figure, but I get the vibe that he's like a big brother. The difference being that a big brother will yell at you sure, but he's also telling you that everything is going to be ok. Whereas a father will bust your ass and you'll fear him. Ten years later you love your father for what he taught you and instilled in you.

I think we are at that point with this team. I don't want a players coach. We don't need a players coach. We need someone who will instill discipline and fundamentals. We have talent across the board. Even at WR we have untapped talent. I really don't mind a short term solution to get this team on the right track, because in 5 years with a fixed team, we will get whomever we want. It won't be a challenge, it'll be a reward. So bring on a Shanahan or a Cutcliffe if that's what we need. If they are the best fit for what we need now, let's get this fixed now.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Here is what I think. Whoever we hire we also need someone who is or can be a great OC. Here is why. If we hire a "NFL Guy", it is more than likely that Florida is going to be a stepping stone from him to go to the NFL in a few years. Therefore we need to have (and I hate this term) a Coach in waiting, so we are not left holding the bag again. I beleive that is what Saban could be doing at Bama. If he can mold Lame Kiffin into a better HC, when he retires or moves on Bama would be set for years to come. Just food for thought.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n111203 said:
Here is what I think. Whoever we hire we also need someone who is or can be a great OC. Here is why. If we hire a "NFL Guy", it is more than likely that Florida is going to be a stepping stone from him to go to the NFL in a few years. Therefore we need to have (and I hate this term) a Coach in waiting, so we are not left holding the bag again. I beleive that is what Saban could be doing at Bama. If he can mold Lame Kiffin into a better HC, when he retires or moves on Bama would be set for years to come. Just food for thought.

Kirby Smart is basically the coach in waiting. Saban's wife has confirmed this in prior seasons when Smart was a hot name. If he did not have some sort of agreement in place, he would likely have already gone. Saban's not going to dump Smart for Kiffin, and I think Kiffin will be gone after either this year or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator